clutch

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

modsquad

clutch

Post by modsquad »

My 2005 stella 2-T is making a faint rattling sound when idling in neutral with the clutch lever out. What gives ?
G-Rod

Post by G-Rod »

Just a thought....it’s fourteen years old. Kidding aside, old two-cycle scooters, especially, are prone to odd noises. Rattling can be lots and lots of things. First step, a torque tour. Get out some wrenches and check every thing you see for tightness. Don’t get carried away. Levers need to be a little loose but just about everything else shouldn’t have a lot of slack. That covered. The origin of the noise comes into consideration. Good luck.
johnk

Post by johnk »

It only makes one, faint rattling sound?!

Most likely, being in neutral is not the direct cause of the rattle, so I wouldn't worry about a clutch or engine issue. The engine is just idling at the resonant frequency of something else.

If the torque tour doesn't solve it, you can also just slowly walk around the bike while it's idling, putting your hand on everything that isn't hot. I had an ugly rattle on my 4T for a while before realizing one of the little rubber glovebox bumpers had fallen out of place.
milly

Post by milly »

Does it disappear when you hold the clutch in or as you star pulling it?
modsquad

clutch

Post by modsquad »

Yes the slight rattle goes away when I pull the clutch lever in. I have no problems up shifting or down. Everything works as it should.
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning
milly

Post by milly »

Most likely just a little wear. Worth keeping an eye on.
Sjenkinsdc

Post by Sjenkinsdc »

I’m having this same issue. Rattle in neutral. Sounds great when I pull in the clutch lever.

Did you ever figure it out Modsquad?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Play in the clutch lever rattling around and/or a little slack in the cable?

Could be a bunch of stuff and could be nothing. Not the smoothest idling motors in neutral.

As suggested above go over the entire bike. Torque specs are readily available and I would retorque the head bolts too.

You can also use a steel rod or long screwdriver to listen to different parts of the motor when it's running. I put on mouse ear hearing protection then touch the rod to the motor and the outside of the ear cover. You can hear all sorts of stuff going on.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Sjenkinsdc

Post by Sjenkinsdc »

I did a torque tour and that resolved it. I hadn’t tightened the clutch but enough.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice! And you probably won't make that mistake again!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Sjenkinsdc

Post by Sjenkinsdc »

Sure won’t BuddyRaton! :). Also, thanks for the tip on listening to the motor. I haven’t come across that anywhere before!