Difficulty adjusting right hand mirro

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Difficulty adjusting right hand mirro

Post by ucandoit »

Am having trouble getting my rt. hand mirror secured in the correct position. The mirror itself rotates nicely on the end of the "stalk" and is not binding up. The mirror "stalk" is threaded "left" and rotates smoothly into the hole, but when it finally tightens into position it has gone too far. I want to back if off about a quarter of a turn, but of course then it would be loose and swing around in the wind.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

On most mirrors, the stalk and the mounting nut are two separate parts, in other words, the mounting nut is threaded so it can turn independently of the stalk. So you would hold the stalk in the position you want it in then tighten the mounting nut against the mounting hole. I'll bet the mounting nut on yours is turned all the way up tight on the stalk. Try loosening the mounting nut by holding the stalk and turning the mounting nut with a wrench.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Sure enough. The nut and stalk are indeed separate and now my mirrors are suddenly wonderful. I feel sheepish not having truly checked out that nut. It is pretty obvious.
Thanks for your help, once again, Babblefish. Maybe someday I'll be removing the head of the cylinder (which I don't know exactly what that even is) to replace piston rings and will need advice on more challenging issues. lol. Probably not in this lifetime though.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I seem to remember someone who was afraid of and unsure of changing the oil in her own scooter...
Anything is possible once you understand the basics. I think you can do anything you set your mind to.:)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.