Need help with front steering lock on scooter.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tanuki

Need help with front steering lock on scooter.

Post by Tanuki »

I found my stolen scooter, and pushed it to a safer location. When I parked I put on the steering lock - today, when I went back to push it closer to home, I was unable to get the steering lock to release.

It looks like the thieves rewired the scooter to bypass the ignition ( they installed a start button). Is there any way to manually unlock the steering lock so that I can push the scooter home - or should I give up and call the tow truck?
buzzvert

Re: Need help with front steering lock on scooter.

Post by buzzvert »

Tanuki wrote:I found my stolen scooter, and pushed it to a safer location. When I parked I put on the steering lock - today, when I went back to push it closer to home, I was unable to get the steering lock to release.

It looks like the thieves rewired the scooter to bypass the ignition ( they installed a start button). Is there any way to manually unlock the steering lock so that I can push the scooter home - or should I give up and call the tow truck?
remove the front fairing, and you can release the ignition assembly from the front rake with two screws. This will free up your steering.

EDIT: MY Buddy project was in a similar situation... I ended up ordering a whole new ignition module with keys for $100 or so. I considered just using a cheap GY6 lock/key but I'd lose seat lock and steering lock safety.