Dash Cam on a Buddy Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thenikkiroom

Dash Cam on a Buddy Kick

Post by thenikkiroom »

I'm thinking about adding a dash cam to my Buddy Kick. Has anyone ever installed one on their scooter? Any tips on removing the panels on the Kick? I would appreciate any advice. My daily commute is 13 miles round trip within San Francisco. So a dash cam could provide some peace of mind.

This is the dash cam that I'm exploring: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Recor ... way&sr=8-5

I was in an accident a couple of years ago. A Honda Pilot rear ended me at a four way stop! Took me 2 years to get back into riding again. I'm taking every precaution. I even had brake lights installed on my K-max case.

Thanks!
johnk

Post by johnk »

Sorry to hear about your accident, and I'm glad you're back on the scooter.

A simpler approach might be to just put a GoPro on your helmet and another facing backwards on your topcase. I have a GoPro Session on my helmet and I'm really happy with it. GoPros are durable and waterproof, and the battery and MicroSD storage are plenty for your commute.

I've never heard of anyone actually using a dash cam on a motorcycle or scooter. There might be some good ones, but I don't think the benefits outweigh the hassle, and it doesn't look like any reputable companies are making them.
thenikkiroom

Post by thenikkiroom »

I have a GoPro Hero 5 that I have clipped to my jacket. I did think about getting a GoPro session as a rear camera. But sometimes I forget to start filming and it’ll be added work to hook and unhook the GoPro session every time I get on and off the scooter. Just feels like more work than it needs to be.

A new GoPro Session is about the same price as the dash cam unit that I’m interested in. The only thing holding me back is the installation. I was planning to power it through the 12v outlet under the seat. I just don’t know how hard it is to remove the panels to get the wires through. I read another thread about how someone was able to hook up their deadlights in a few mins. I’ve been wanting to do that too, so that might be my test before I order dash cam.

Worst case: I buy the dash cam, take it to my local Genuine Buddy dealers and have them install it. But that’s an extra $120 of labor I want to avoid.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

There is a huge void in the industry regarding video cameras & 2 wheeled vehicles. They don't even know yet how to catch up to 2012. What's missing is the interface. The connection between the battery & the camera is missing. No one makes a camera that we can just plug in & ride all day as it recharges. I paid $250 for a Tachyon BikerCam because I didn't want to stick a big flat camera on top my $800 helmet & make it as loud as a $50 helmet. I never got past the techie software stuff needed to make it functional so I never used it. 5 years ago I researched dash cameras because I just bought a nice car for my wife & people here drive like idiots. I learned: All of them run off a cigarette lighter. All of them are made in China. If you want it hard wired into your electrical system you have to pay someone a lot of money to splice into your wiring harness which I didn't want to do on a new car. The $180 Chinese dash cam I got years ago sits in the box. I do want something to record while riding but next commitment will be low dollar. Now I'm leaning toward something under $50 & I'll have to remove it & recharge it every ride. One front, one back. Not on the helmet. Maybe a Polaroid Cube, $29. But almost worthless on a long ride. Needs a 6 hour battery. Some long road trips coming this Fall.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have front/rear cameras in both cars. Momento? brand if I recall. I think they record in 6 hour loops and "hold" 30 minutes of video if a collision or tampering is detected. They record 24/7, even with the car off. Luckily I have never needed to use the footage, but the bad side is Im not 100% sure how to operate them.VERY complicated! GoPro would be my bet for a 2 wheeler though. Easy to operate and always being improved. If you have a Cycle Gear or nicer motorcycle shop in your area go and look at them and ask questions. Riders that use them know best. I actually saw a GoPro display in Target!
johnk

Post by johnk »

Have you tried any of these options, thenikkiroom?

I recently got a Yi Lite (a low-priced action camera) to put on my bike facing behind me. The image quality is good enough to read license plates, even on my very buzzy two-stroke. I just keep the camera in my helmet while I'm not riding, so it's easy to remember to attach it and hit record. Personally, I find this system less complicated than the idea of hardwiring cameras, but I am curious about others' experience.