gas gauge

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

modsquad

gas gauge

Post by modsquad »

Gas gauge doesn't work, is it rebuildable , or do I look for another one .
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Depends on whether it's the gauge, the sending unit (tank float sensor), or the wiring in between. What specifically is it doing, or not doing?
johnk

Post by johnk »

If I may join the club, the gas gauge on my 2T basically just bounces wildly while the engine is running. I'm not too eager to fix it (I don't really need it), but I'd be interested to know whether this sounds like a gauge, sending unit, or wiring issue.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Testing the sender is pretty easy with a multimeter. Set it to ohms and go from the sender wire to ground. Use a hook to lift and push the float up and down gently. The ohm reading should change smoothly, with no interruptions. (Sometimes using an analog meter is easier).

The full reading of the sender should be about 120 ohms and should decrease. (Mine had a break in the wire. I just soldered two adjacent wire coils together and it works fine.)

Testing the gauge is a little more difficult, but the procedure is in the service manual and its a more advanced procedure not for the feint of heart. The gauge should act smoothly. If the gauge is bouncing, I might suspect mechanical damage.
Attachments
Fuel Level Sender Testing
Fuel Level Sender Testing
sender.jpg (19.3 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
modsquad

gas gauge

Post by modsquad »

The gas gauge isn't doing anything. Full tank it stay's at empty,half tank or empty tank it stay';s at empty.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Can you find a friend with a multimeter? Harbor Freight sells them at a reasonable price. It is an invaluable tool working on vehicle electrical systems.

If the gas gauge stays at empty, it could be the gauge, or it still could be the sender unit. As it was with mine, it was open-circuit... one of the ni-chrome wire turns wound around the resistor in the sender unit was broken.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-Functio ... 63759.html
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
johnk

Post by johnk »

Here's a reliable and cheap multimeter on Amazon, if you don't have access to Harbor Freight.
modsquad

gas gauge

Post by modsquad »

O.K. thank's everybody for the imput. I'll post my result's after I sort it out...Bill