Buddy 50cc vs 125 cc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jnbpais

Buddy 50cc vs 125 cc

Post by Jnbpais »

I plan on getting a scooter and had been really set on the buddy 50cc as I thought in my state I didn’t need the class m license.. however upon my trip to the dealer yesterday I learned that yes it’s a “moped� not a motorcycle but still needs a class M! They don’t carry the 50cc and mostly recommend 125 cc for that above reason and more

I live in a city with no hills, my commute to work is <2 miles on 30-35 mph roads. I don’t ever anticipate needing (or wanting- I rode one the other day and 30 felt FAST) to go over 40 mph or more than 10 miles distance. The 125 cc ends up being ~$800 more, which is more than I had really budgeted.

Any pros/cons for either? Thanks!
baldachi

Post by baldachi »

You are sort of couching your evaluation in terms of potential performance vs cost. If you give more weight to cost, one could likely accomplish your daily commute on a bicycle - but you want more performance than that. You should keep in mind that the performance you will need isn't just a function of how you plan to drive, but also how you will have to respond to what other drivers are doing. As a 125 owner I can't count all the times I have been glad that I had the extra acceleration that the 125 provides over a 50 cc.

If you go with the 125 and only ride it to-from work for as little as five years, the additional cost is about $13 per month. And you don't have to drive 40 mph on either scooter if you don't want to or don't have to.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

In reality, the Buddy 125 is an infinitely more useable scooter than the 50cc version. I have owned a 50cc Buddy and currently own 3 125cc Buddys (and I still own a Genuine Black Cat 50cc and Piaggio MP3 500cc). The Buddy 125 is definitely worth the premium over the 50 in the long run. My experience and the experience of many people on here is that many folks start into scootering for very practical reasons, like making a short commute, but get hooked and start finding more and more reasons to ride the scooter. Personally, i ride my scooters most days and would generally take one of them over the car for most errands.

35 MPH may seem fast at the moment but won't as you gain experience and start have to deal with exasperated cagers (car drivers) mad that they are stuck behind you on a back-road. It is very, very uncomfortable to be at wide open throttle (WOT) and somebody is aggressively tailgating your 200 pound scooter. The Buddy 125 can do a true 55-60 MPH so you have some power in reserve for separating yourself from idiots when necessary. If you drive a car, have you ever thought "wow, I just wish my car had less power"? Probably not. You mentioned that you won't have to deal with hills but the Buddy 50 does big on almost any long incline.

If you're struggling with the cost of the Buddy 125 versus a Buddy 50cc, my advice would be to look into a gently used Buddy 125. They are pretty abundant on Craigslist. It seems that many people think they want a scooter and actually don't once they make the purchase. The 125's engine is pretty indestructible and generally can be brought back to life pretty easily even on the multitude of "it doesn't run at the moment" scoots you might see in Craigslist. I have a used 125 for sale myself if you're interested that I could sell you for a little over $1000 perhaps. :wink:

Whatever you do, don't go totally cheap out and buy a Tao Tao, Wolf, Binnetelli, other brand. They are junk. And don't get me wrong about riding a 50cc scooter, it can be a blast to ride them but the 125 is an incredible little scoot.
Last edited by cummingsjc on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

This is just my opinion, others may feel differently. I own both a Buddy 50, a Buddy 125, and a Buddy 150, and for my use, they are pretty much all the same. First of all, once you have had your Buddy for a few weeks, 30 mph will no longer feel fast to you. 40 mph will feel comfortable. A Buddy 50 does fine up to about 40 mph (45 bmph). A Buddy 125 will go somewhat faster, but you may feel a bit uncomfortable at higher speeds, as with small wheels, and side wind gusts, you'll start to focus on safety and other vehicles instead of carefree enjoyment. The Buddy 125 and the 150 are similar to each other, with only a slight difference. Like you, in my neighborhood and for my use, speeds over 40 mph are unnecessary, so whichever Buddy I am on, they ride and drive about the same. If I want to go to the Walmart near me, the speed limit is 50 mph on the road to the Walmart, so I ride the 125 or the 150, and go about 50 mph, and constantly watch for crossing side traffic. My advice is that if you don't plan to go over 40 mph, buy the Buddy 50. However, as in a previous post, you may find additional uses for your Buddy, then you will want the 125. Don't be seduced by cheaper brands.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

A 50cc scoot may be adequate now, but things change fast in Houston. The Buddy 125 will make more roads safely available to you when your commute situation changes.
-I used to commute to work on freeway frontage/feeder roads. That would not have been possible on a 50cc machine.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The 125 Buddy is an excellent all-round scooter and an excellent compromise of power and weight. It is also an excellent value. Riding in traffic, I personally would not consider anything with less performance. I also think it is misguided to consider a 50cc scooter because local laws don't require licensing or insurance. If you are going to own and ride a scooter, you need to have gone through a training program such as the MSF basic course and you need to carry at least liability insurance.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I agree about licensing. If you dont want to get a motorcycle license, just get an ebike or bike with an engine kit.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Hmm, I think it would be cheaper to buy a Buddy 125 rather than an ebike. My ebike cost $4200, and that's considered a mid priced bike.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I LOVED both of my Buddy 125's and when it was time for another, I bought a big wheel 150cc. Now I had a 98 Yamaha Zuma 50cc forever. I rode it to work, 14 miles one way, on a main 45mph street and the Zuma only did 35mph. Never felt threatened when riding it, I just paid attention to my surroundings. Did you notice the past tense? I still have the 150cc but I replaced the Zuma with a e-bicycle. It does 20mph, takes off plenty fast, the range is fine for my commute to work and I can ride on the sidewalk. Great fun, and everyone wants to ride it at work. Any option, e-bicycle, 50cc or 125cc are great options as far as Im concerned.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

sc00ter wrote:I LOVED both of my Buddy 125's and when it was time for another, I bought a big wheel 150cc. Now I had a 98 Yamaha Zuma 50cc forever. I rode it to work, 14 miles one way, on a main 45mph street and the Zuma only did 35mph. Never felt threatened when riding it, I just paid attention to my surroundings. Did you notice the past tense? I still have the 150cc but I replaced the Zuma with a e-bicycle. It does 20mph, takes off plenty fast, the range is fine for my commute to work and I can ride on the sidewalk. Great fun, and everyone wants to ride it at work. Any option, e-bicycle, 50cc or 125cc are great options as far as Im concerned.
This illustrates matching your transportation to your needs. I live in a town of 90K people that's a good clip away from a major metropolitan area. This means I need good acceleration off the line at stoplights and the ability to stay up with traffic. 50cc bikes here can use bicycle lanes, but there's not enough of those to go around, so to speak. Go with what fits your needs- and the Buddy is one of the only small-form-factor scoots that can shred cars at stoplights and maintain 50mph comfortably, so it's got my heart.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You can buy a 500w ebike from Yamaha starting at 2200 dollars. That would eliminate the need for an mc license and allow you to take the sidewalk in some conditions.
-But if a motor scooter is what you want in the long run, an ebike is an expensive detour.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

what state do you live in?...i went through a similar exercise when i was looking for a scooter as the RMV here has 3 separate categories of motorized bikes...moped, limited use vehicle and motorcycle...moped needs registration only and can be parked on the sidewalk, no license required, less than 50cc and less than 30mph...limited use vehicle is registration, title, inspection, insurance, plate and a drivers license no parking on the sidewalk, less than 50cc and 30-40mph...motorcycle is registration, title, inspection, insurance, plate, m endorsement, over 40mph, over 50cc

i already had my m endorsement when i started looking since i've already owned motorcycles...i recommend looking into the beginner motorcycle safety foundation class where you can get your license and have it mailed to you so you don't have to go to the rmv...at first i wanted a 50cc so it was cheap as i can go then i decided it was worth it to have the extra cc's so i could keep up with traffic and not be riding on the side of the road for safety reasons as well as may as well have insurance in case of an accident...

it all depends on how your state is and how comfortable you are riding...if you want to take the least expensive route find out what they consider a moped at the rmv and look for one used on craigslist or facebook marketplace but i would stick with the following companies

genuine
honda
yamaha
piaggio/vespa/aprilia/derbi
suzuki
sym/lance
kymco
or a reliable legit moped manufacturer
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
tenders

Post by tenders »

The 50cc is great if you have a regulatory reason for the size - no license needed, free or easy parking, rule against larger scooters, etc.

Any other reason, including and maybe especially cost, will fade after a few weeks.

I have a 50 and a 150 - I like them both but the 50 was bought as a companion bike for family members without M licenses (NY State). I would encourage anybody interested enough to seriously consider buying a 50 to bite the bullet and get an M license over a weekend through an MSI course - it is fun, educational, and a 125cc or higher engine is a far more useful entry point into scootering.
march10k

Post by march10k »

I have a 50, and it's 100% for regulatory reasons. I'm in Hawaii with a Wyoming license. I can't get a Hawaii license without surrendering the Wyoming one, and I can't get the motorcycle endorsement on my Wyoming license without appearing in person at the county courthouse. I would say get the 125 if you can get the motorcycle license. The 50 is...okay, but only in a 35MPH zone and below, with no hills. That's derestricted, of course. My 6 mile commute is hilly, and I bog down to 20 or 25, depending on the hill.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If you are on flat terrain, and you don't need to go over 40mph, get the 50. It may suit your needs just fine. You may grow out of it down the road. Take good care of it while you are using it and sell it when it's time to move on. Where I'm at, you don't need an endorsement for a 50, and registrations costs $5.85 for 3 years. I have a 50cc Yamaha and a Burgman 400. I ride the 50 4X as much as the Burgman. If I had to keep one, it would be the 50. I like the bigger scooter, but I love my 50. It gets great gas mileage and gets me everywhere I need to go, and a lot of places I want to go. Which ever you end up with, you might want to look at taking a motorcycle safety course before you set out. It just might save your life. It will save you money on insurance as well. A buddy 50 is capable of 45mph. That is enough speed to get in serious trouble on.