Buddy 150/170i final gears?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PNWbuddy

Buddy 150/170i final gears?

Post by PNWbuddy »

I'm just messing around with my Buddy 125 kitted to 161 and ordered new 15/38 NCY final drive gears which was the up-gear closest to stock that the NCY store had listed but a little taller than what I would have preferred. Stock gears are 13/42 on the 125. Anyone know what the gears are on the 150/170i are? I was able to find an image on Scooter Dynasty that I count 40t on the large gear so I'm guessing the small pinion gear is 13 or 14. Anyone have this information?
scootERIK

Re: Buddy 150/170i final gears?

Post by scootERIK »

PNWbuddy wrote:I'm just messing around with my Buddy 125 kitted to 161 and ordered new 15/38 NCY final drive gears which was the up-gear closest to stock that the NCY store had listed but a little taller than what I would have preferred. Stock gears are 13/42 on the 125. Anyone know what the gears are on the 150/170i are? I was able to find an image on Scooter Dynasty that I count 40t on the large gear so I'm guessing the small pinion gear is 13 or 14. Anyone have this information?
That seems like a huge change, possibly too much of a change. But I have never played with the gearing so what do I know.

Some reading. There is more info on here you just have to do some searching.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... +gears+150

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
t=31051&highlight=final+drive

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... inal+drive
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Thanks, I did read those threads and one from several years ago where someone had difficulty installing the NCY gears and felt they needed to be machined. The NCY store specifically states they fit the Buddy "Supported Models: GY6 152QMI 157QMJ 161QMK 161QML Chinese Scooter, ATV, Genuine Buddy, Kymco, Polaris RZR 170, Ruckus, Vento" so if they don't fit I'll let them know. lovemysan never mentioned the tooth count on the 170 gears just a final drive that doesn't correspond to the pinion and final drive gear so maybe it is clutch shaft rotation to wheel rotation. I was hoping for something more like 2 up on the pinion and 2 down on the final drive gear but they didn't have that. They did mention that typical GY6 gears are 13/40 but it seems that most Chinese scooters have 12" wheels so that alone would give the effect of taller gearing than on the Buddy. I have a 12 ton press so if I don't like the new gears I can go back to stock or give another combination a try. The NCY gear sets are only $47 shipped by NCY store. The Genuine OEM gears are more like $110 plus shipping.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Update:
NCY sent me a note that the 15/38 gears were out of stock so the order was cancelled. I'm happy with that because it probably was more of an up-gear than what I was wanting anyway. Searching around I found 14/39 on Ebay and ordered that, hopefully I will actually receive it. The good thing about 14/39 is that it looks like I can run 13/39 by just replacing the splined stock 42 final drive gear with the 39 to check that out first. If I want to up-gear further I can change to the 14 pressed pinion gear. I wasn't sure if the small 13t pinion would mesh properly with the smaller 39t final gear but I searched and found that 13/39 is a common combination so there must be a wide variety of gear sizes that still mesh together and work properly.