CVT questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

CVT questions

Post by ucandoit »

Am in the process of replacing belt and rollers on my 2008 Buddy 125. It has 9700 miles and both the belt and rollers look really good. But since I have the new parts I'm going to install them.
In the tech library Babblefish has documented the process for belt and roller replacement on his Blur, but for some reason I cannot open the photos he has taken. Does anyone know why I cannot access these photos?
Anyway, I think he says to put a light coating of grease on the boss that goes through the variator. Is that correct? Was wondering if putting grease there would somehow make the belt slip.
Also, my "variator fan", the outer pulley, looks to have surface cracks here and there. The smooth pulley side is very solid and nice. Just wondering about that.
Also, the torque specs for the variator nut and clutch bell nut looks to be about 36-43 ft. lbs. Is that correct? I just want to be sure. Have never done this before. Thank you for any help..
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Chances are that the photos are on a defunct server, or one like Photobucket that started charging outrageous storage fees and then wiped all non-paid content.

Surface cracking on the vane side is no big deal. Every scoot I've owned exhibits it.

Can't answer about the torque value.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I feel discouraged. I went ahead and installed the rollers and belt doing it all quite carefully. I got the belt down in the clutch pulley and installed the clutch & bell & tightened the nut to 37 ft. lbs. Then, with the belt over the boss drive, I installed the variator outer pulley (fan), washers and nut and tightened it to 37 ft. lbs. I was careful to have slack in the belt when I tightened the variator nut. The scooter started right up and ran okay with the cvt cover off and I gave it throttle as I wanted to see the belt ride up the pulley, but didn't really see it well so turned it off. I called my husband out to show off my success (yes, I wanted to be congratulated) and it started and ran for a few seconds, then promptly died. Now, it won't start. The engine tries to turn over and might catch for a second and even when I give it throttle it dies. Thinking maybe I "flooded the engine" I let it set for half an hour, but it still will not run.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I'm so embarrassed. I just realized that I had not opened the little fuel valve I had installed on my fuel hose near the carb. No wonder the scooter would not start up.
That's a relief. Now to go ride it and hope the new rollers and belt perform well. A big thank you to Dee Dee who posted plans to build a tool to remove both the variator and clutch nut. The tool worked very well.
johnk

Post by johnk »

That's awesome! Nice work living up to your username.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thanks, JohnK. That is kind of you. I was nervous about replacing the belt, rollers, clutch and getting the variator and clutch nuts off and on properly. Understanding how to get the belt to sit low in the clutch pulley was a good lesson. Now, after seeing the parts and handling them I feel much more comfortable with all of it. I sanded the shoes on the clutch and and used brake cleaner to clean up the bell. I think that helped to get rid of the slight stutter I previously had on take off. I sort of regret my user name as what I meant it to be was more like "I can do it". lol. I'm wondering if the CVT in cars are similar to the one in the Buddy. I still do not understand what the gears in the gear box look like and how that all works.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Good job ucandoit!
Don't know what's going on with the pictures in the technical library but I'll see if I can fix it.

NCY transmission video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Poub5In8jk8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Babblefish. In your tech library post you said to put a thin layer of grease on the top of the boss drive (spacer) that goes through the variator. I went ahead and did that but wonder if that would get grease in the variator and muck up the rollers. Did I understand you correctly?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ucandoit wrote:Babblefish. In your tech library post you said to put a thin layer of grease on the top of the boss drive (spacer) that goes through the variator. I went ahead and did that but wonder if that would get grease in the variator and muck up the rollers. Did I understand you correctly?
Only if you layered it on like some ladies do with their makeup. Lol. I like to use a very light grease such as white lithium. I suppose a light application of motor oil would also be OK. I know there are others who do not believe in using any grease but this part is constantly under load with the variator plate sliding across it so a little lubrication is definitely a good idea.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I swear I didn't layer the grease on like make-up. lol. If things go wrong, less performance, etc., I now know how to take it all apart and can hopefully correct the issues; thanks to all the help you guys have given me.