easy tire questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brothergc

easy tire questions

Post by brothergc »

Got a 2019 roughhouse , so I am wondering do these use inner tube or are the tires tubeless ?
How hard would it be once the wheels are removed to swap out tires ? do they sell some kind of tool to accomplish this ?
Thanks I appreciate any replies
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Tubeless. Removing tires yourself is grueling torture. Watch some Youtube videos to get an idea. It can be done though, I just pay a shop.If you do tackle the wheels yourself, keep track of the front wheel spacer,aka, dont loose it. Other than that, its pretty straight forward.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Taking the wheels off: yes, keep track of all the spacers and hardware on the axle, and the order they’re installed, but the front is easy and the rear is very doable if you’re willing to take the exhaust off.

Taking the tires off the rims: also easy, if you’re willing to sacrifice the tires by cutting them off with an inexpensive oscillating saw from Harbor Freight and a decent blade from Home Depot (maybe $30 for both). You can slice each tire off in 90 seconds. Use a Sharpie to transcribe the direction of rotation from the old tire to the rim for ease of reinstallation, but don’t nick the rim with the saw. (Oscillating saws are handy for other jobs around the house/shop.)

Putting the new tires onto the rims: yes this is hard. I guess it can be done but it’s a quick job at the shop that I’m happy to pay for.

Putting the new wheels onto the scooter: no more difficult than getting them off was. Use this opportunity to replace the exhaust gasket with a real gasket, not the dumb OEM ring that is hard to reinstall.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I had no problem getting the tire off the rim but putting the new one on was a different story. I ended up taking to a neighborhood tire store and they mounted it for me. I think it was $5.00 very well spent.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I think a good set of motorcycle tire irons (or tire levers) and a lot of patience are required if you want to change your own tires.

22 years ago I bought a simple iron set like this one https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0051 and have have been changing my own scooter tires since. In that time I have changed close to 50 tires (I ride a lot) and I will say that even with that much experience it still usually takes me a number of tries to get the new tire on the rim. This is where the patience comes in, while some tires are easier to mount than others, it is always a tight fit working the tire's bead over the rim which leads to trial and error to find what works.

Once the tire is on the rim you also need a good source of compressed air to have enough force to seat (pop) the bead onto the rim.
tenders

Post by tenders »

iwannascoot wrote:I think it was $5.00 very well spent.
Please keep that shop very happy by doing business with them in other ways. A $5 mount is a token of goodwill, not a business plan.
johnk

Post by johnk »

Here's a good video from MC Garage on mounting tires. It is certainly doable, but you'll see that even an experienced person will struggle. And I think many shops charge far more than $5.

The video includes instructions for balancing, which most scooter riders don't find necessary.