Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Buddy 50, weird clicking noise (like a rock in the tire)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
sl5455

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: New Buddy 50, weird clicking noise (like a rock in the tire) Reply with quote

Hi All - I recently picked up a buddy 50 for my short commute to work and am having trouble finding the source of a clicking noise. It is a 2015 with around 300 miles. Details below:

- Best overall description I can give is it sounds like a rock in the tire while the scooter is moving.
- Hard to tell while riding if the noise is coming from the front or back (I'm leaning towards the back though)
- Clicking noise happens above 10-15MPH
- Happens while accelerating and continues while coasting until speed drops below 10-15MPH
- I assume it's something with the tire/rear brake because the speed of the clicking relates to the speed I'm going
- I've tried rotating the back tire to see if there's any rubbing but as far as I can tell, it's not

I've checked for any loose bits and still haven't been able to locate the source. It's hard to say if the noise was there when I got it because I was so excited I probably thought it was normal. Since then I've watched a few vids and it's definitely not normal 2T noises.

I'm going to have my wife hop on the back and try and record a sound clip for you guys. Appreciate any help you can give.

Last edited by sl5455 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video will definitely help, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's CVT related. How handy are you with a toolbox? Feel like doing a little investigative wrenching?
sl5455

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanza wrote:
A video will definitely help, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's CVT related. How handy are you with a toolbox? Feel like doing a little investigative wrenching?

Yes, willing to learn myself. Have experience with basic maintenance and mods on cars. What should I be looking for?

Tried to grab a video tonight but the 'clicking' sound isn't very audible. Will try again next ride.
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you have it up on the center stand, revved up slightly to get the rear wheel spinning?
ucandoit

2008 buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to throw in a "red herring", as you seem to feel the sound is coming from a tire or the CVT, but the term, "clicking", immediately has me thinking of valves that are too "loose", too wide a gap. You would, however, hear this sound just by putting your ear close to the engine and listening closely to the engine as it is idling. I would just rule this out.
PNWbuddy

Buddy125

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedometer cables can click, of course that would be from the front, not back. Spinning the front wheel might help to rule that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: