New Buddy 50, weird clicking noise (like a rock in the tire)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sl5455

New Buddy 50, weird clicking noise (like a rock in the tire)

Post by sl5455 »

Hi All - I recently picked up a buddy 50 for my short commute to work and am having trouble finding the source of a clicking noise. It is a 2015 with around 300 miles. Details below:

- Best overall description I can give is it sounds like a rock in the tire while the scooter is moving.
- Hard to tell while riding if the noise is coming from the front or back (I'm leaning towards the back though)
- Clicking noise happens above 10-15MPH
- Happens while accelerating and continues while coasting until speed drops below 10-15MPH
- I assume it's something with the tire/rear brake because the speed of the clicking relates to the speed I'm going
- I've tried rotating the back tire to see if there's any rubbing but as far as I can tell, it's not

I've checked for any loose bits and still haven't been able to locate the source. It's hard to say if the noise was there when I got it because I was so excited I probably thought it was normal. Since then I've watched a few vids and it's definitely not normal 2T noises.

I'm going to have my wife hop on the back and try and record a sound clip for you guys. Appreciate any help you can give.
Last edited by sl5455 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

A video will definitely help, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's CVT related. How handy are you with a toolbox? Feel like doing a little investigative wrenching?
sl5455

Post by sl5455 »

Stanza wrote:A video will definitely help, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's CVT related. How handy are you with a toolbox? Feel like doing a little investigative wrenching?
Yes, willing to learn myself. Have experience with basic maintenance and mods on cars. What should I be looking for?

Tried to grab a video tonight but the 'clicking' sound isn't very audible. Will try again next ride.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

What happens if you have it up on the center stand, revved up slightly to get the rear wheel spinning?
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I don't mean to throw in a "red herring", as you seem to feel the sound is coming from a tire or the CVT, but the term, "clicking", immediately has me thinking of valves that are too "loose", too wide a gap. You would, however, hear this sound just by putting your ear close to the engine and listening closely to the engine as it is idling. I would just rule this out.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Speedometer cables can click, of course that would be from the front, not back. Spinning the front wheel might help to rule that out.