Buddy mirror replacement recommendation

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Queenlian

Buddy mirror replacement recommendation

Post by Queenlian »

So some motorcyclist at work (most likely) totally wrecked up my left mirror. I am so frustrated. Grrrr.

Anyways... Its completely useless and needs to be replaced now. I figure while i am at it I might as well get some mirros that are taller and more effective as these ones werent that great anyways.

Can anyone recommend some mirros that allow me to actually SEE behind me and dont reauire me to look so far down to see them?

Here is a link to a photo of my dash in case my setup is relevant. I have a tall windshield installed as well.
http://imgur.com/mFx64aP
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I used mirrors from the Yamaha C3. Black, durable, oval and cheap. Keep in mind the left/rear brake side is normal thread and the right/throttle side is reverse thread-same a Yamaha's scooters.
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

sc00ter wrote: Keep in mind the left/rear brake side is normal thread and the right/throttle side is reverse thread-same a Yamaha's scooters.
Can you put in simple terms what this means for me? I am VERY green to the scooter world and not very mechanically minded. Ive only had my scooter for a month and have no other experience with scooters or motorcycles.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

sc00ter wrote:I used mirrors from the Yamaha C3. Black, durable, oval and cheap. Keep in mind the left/rear brake side is normal thread and the right/throttle side is reverse thread-same a Yamaha's scooters.
Not to butt in yet the left mirror threads are standard or what would be considered right hand (99% of all bolts are threaded this way). The right hand mirror threads are called left hand, left handed or reverse threaded meaning they turn the opposite way and are the 1% of the bolts out there.

He is saying the Yamaha scooters are threaded the same way as the Buddy scooters mirrors thread so you can use them. Just beware of other mirrors that may not be reverse threaded on the right hand side.

Think of it this way, if you were riding forward and hit a fixed object with either the left or right mirror, with this set up they would simply fold back toward the bike and rider, not causing a crash or stripping/mangling the threads or mirrors. Yet if they had standard right hand threads on both sides, any hit to the right hand mirror could cause loss of control of the bike and a wreck or worse.

You should try a pair of the mirrors off a 2006 Buddy, then you would find these mirrors work quite well.

One thing I would suggest is to loosen the bolts where your windshield is mounted just a tad and rotate the flat mounting plates to align with the handle bar grips as that will get you a little more extension. If the mirrors are adjusted correctly you can easily see dead center behind you with both mirrors unless you have really broad shoulders. Also if you feel you are looking too far down, then that tells me you must be over 6' tall - is this right? Anyone else over 6' tall may want to jump in with how they handle this because I am 5'10" and never had any issues with the stock mirrors.
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

Im only 5'4" (ut long torsoed so i carry the bulk of my height from the waist up. It could just be that i could never get these adjusted well enough with my broad shoulders, which admittedly are Very broad. I always feel like i have to duck my head a bit to check my mirrors. I could never get a higher view than the edge of my arms (from about armpit height) and out. I could never see the top or curve of my shoulders no matter how much i messed with the mirrors trying to get them alligned better.

Thank you for explaining the threading. That makes sense. Mine are so tight i dont think they would move at all if i hit something. I didnt know they were supposed to move. The previous owner had them on there like the world would end if they moved....
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

One thing you may want to do is ride by your local dealer (if you have one) or make a day trip to go to the closest dealer, stop by to get acquainted, talk to the mechanics and see if they or someone there can help you get them adjusted where they do you some good.

The upside is they will get to know you and they will have a Genuine interest (hehe) in maintaining your Buddy so when you are ready to upgrade, they will be there for you. They definately know how to adjust the mirrors and which way the threads go and if nothing else it would be educational if they could just tell or show you in person.

Our local dealer took really good care of us and several scoots before we bought a new one from them and within a year we bought three from them. They helped us out several times when there was no monetary reason other than just building a relationship.

Best of luck!
ScootiePuffJr

Post by ScootiePuffJr »

I replaced the stock mirrors with the ones below, based on recommendations from folks on this board. They are a huge improvement. I have a much better view behind me and to the sides.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K9 ... ge_o08_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K9 ... ge_o08_s02

These mirrors are shorter than the stock ones, however. I do have to look down slightly to see them.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

ScootiePuff, those are C3 mirrors. Best bang for the buck. I have seen them as low as $9 and no more than $15 each-so thats not to bad a price. My wifes Buddy has the old, looong style chrome mirrors, and though they are nice looking and give a great veiw of whats behind, they dont hold their position to well at the ball swivel end. I used a punch and put a small ding and it helps keep them still. She wont give up the chrome mirrors, and is willing to buy new ones if required. I personally like the C3 mirrors. But wait! Queenlian can use ANY mirror-she has the windshield! Enjoy your many choices! Battlescooter used to have baby seal face mirrors, and peace sigh (with the 2 fingers) mirrors. Wonder if they are still in stock?
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

sc00ter wrote:Battlescooter used to have baby seal face mirrors, and peace sigh (with the 2 fingers) mirrors. Wonder if they are still in stock?
Just looked up those peace sign mirrors and they're pretty rad. Makes me wish I had a windshield so I could use them! I assume there's probably some sort of adaptor/mount that I could find to switch the threading...anyone know of any/have one that they like?
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

sc00ter wrote:But wait! Queenlian can use ANY mirror-she has the windshield! Enjoy your many choices!
Good point! As long as the tab is on the scoot - they can use any direction thread as it is not being installed into the handlebar. Just save your factory mirrors in case of removing the windshield or selling the Buddy.

Boy this might just really confuse the heck out of a few people!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

These are fairly close to the stock C3 mirrors at less cost. I've owned a pair and they worked well on my Buddy 125.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8MM-Reverse-Thr ... 5ae4827e13

I just looked at your picture also, you can use both RH threads. These are my go to mirrors I've had a pair of these on one of my scooters for 4 years now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Motorcyc ... 1b&vxp=mtr
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

MYSCTR wrote:Boy this might just really confuse the heck out of a few people!
No joke! I am so lost! Lol my windshield opens up my options?!? Like i needed more excuses to love my windshield. Lol

Thank you everyone for so many great recommendations! So many things to look at! I was just out there again lamenting over my poor broken mirror while I changed the oil. Thats right.... This lil girly girl just changed her scooter oil! BAM! It was so filthy. Freaking previous owners were horrible about upkeep.

Unfortunately we dont have a dealer nearby. Nearest one is an hour away in Portland, and while im sure there is some grazy backroad route i could take to get there at 45 mph, its really not something i want to do lol. I have been building up a fairly decent relationship with the local motorcycle shop though so they might be able to help me. Get my current ones a bit better adujusted, and help me adjust the new ones when they come in.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Queenlian wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:Boy this might just really confuse the heck out of a few people!
No joke! I am so lost! Lol my windshield opens up my options?!? Like i needed more excuses to love my windshield. Lol

This lil girly girl just changed her scooter oil! BAM! It was so filthy. Freaking previous owners were horrible about upkeep.

I have been building up a fairly decent relationship with the local motorcycle shop though so they might be able to help me. Get my current ones a bit better adujusted, and help me adjust the new ones when they come in.
The short of it: Stop by the motorcycle shop to visit, try to find a tech you can talk to, ask him if their mirrors are reverse threaded (or left hand threads) on the right hand mirrors. If he looks like a deer in headlights, move on. Once you get someone who understands this, best to show him your Buddy and let him know the bolts mounting the windshield to the handle bar has left hand threads (only on the right side) yet because of that little silver flat 'tab' or extension that the actual mirror is bolted to, you can (as Scooter pointed out) use standard threaded mirrors on both sides (since you will add the bolt on the bottom to match). As long as you keep the windshield and don't use your right mirror as a hit man, you will be golden!

Best of luck and kudos to you for learning how to tech your Buddy yourself!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Queenlian, if you're truly trying to get something that won't show you your shoulders, you _might_ consider bar-end mirrors. Yeah, they're down lower so you think you'd be moving your head all the time, but I can easily just flick my eyes down to mine - they're adjusted such that I can see behind me clearly with only eye movement, not needing to duck my head. I'm just a smidge taller than you.

There are a wide variety available, starting at around $15 a pair and moving upwards for fancy folding/spring-loaded models. I've had a $20 eBay set since 2012 or so and haven't looked back (so to speak).
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

MYSCTR wrote: The short of it: Stop by the motorcycle shop to visit, try to find a tech you can talk to, ask him if their mirrors are reverse threaded (or left hand threads) on the right hand mirrors. If he looks like a deer in headlights, move on. Once you get someone who understands this, best to show him your Buddy and let him know the bolts mounting the windshield to the handle bar has left hand threads (only on the right side) yet because of that little silver flat 'tab' or extension that the actual mirror is bolted to, you can (as Scooter pointed out) use standard threaded mirrors on both sides (since you will add the bolt on the bottom to match). As long as you keep the windshield and don't use your right mirror as a hit man, you will be golden!

Best of luck and kudos to you for learning how to tech your Buddy yourself!
I'm going to swing by their shop on my way home tonight. I felt completely blind on my way in this morning. I need to either buy some at their shop locally right now, or order some online tonight. Its absolutely unsafe riding in this city traffic with no rear view of my left flank. And yeah, no desire to get rid of my windshield. It has deflected far too many bugs and rocks for me to ever feel comfortable riding without it lol.

And thank you. I am pretty stoked about the oil change. Glad to get that black tar oil out of my machine. Granted I spent my entire way into work this morning checking my one good mirror for signs that my oil filter had spunoff and that I was leaving an oil slick down the road lol. I suppose a good healthy fear to have though. Kept me focussed on doing a good job and tightening things properly this weekend.
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

PeteH wrote:Queenlian, if you're truly trying to get something that won't show you your shoulders, you _might_ consider bar-end mirrors. Yeah, they're down lower so you think you'd be moving your head all the time, but I can easily just flick my eyes down to mine - they're adjusted such that I can see behind me clearly with only eye movement, not needing to duck my head. I'm just a smidge taller than you.

There are a wide variety available, starting at around $15 a pair and moving upwards for fancy folding/spring-loaded models. I've had a $20 eBay set since 2012 or so and haven't looked back (so to speak).
I keep seeing bar end mirrors and I'm so confused... wouldn't the right hand mirror rotate with the throttle? How does that work with the buddy handles? That's got to be fairly ineffective while in motion. At least for the right flank.
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

DeeDee wrote:
I just looked at your picture also, you can use both RH threads. These are my go to mirrors I've had a pair of these on one of my scooters for 4 years now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Motorcyc ... 1b&vxp=mtr
I ended up ordering these on your recommendation so thank you. I really wanted to stick with the chrome for the vintage look so I was thankful to find something functional that worked with the look I am going for. :)

Local motorcycle shop was useless. They only had 10mm stuff and were co pletely flabergasted by the whole idea that reverse threaded (which they had at least heard of) served a purpose. Once i said it was for a scooter they seemed to get a bit disinterested and started eyeing the other customers so I left. Ugh. I wish there was a scooter dealership nearby.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You will have to reuse the nuts off the old mirrors to put the Yamaha mirrors on, but if they are bootleg mirrors, meaning the right (throttle side) mirror uses a standard/righty tighty-lefty loosy nut/ then a trip to the hardware store will be needed. My hunch is you will be all good reusing the old mirror nuts with the new mirrors though. My friend has bar end mirrors on his Buddy 125. You have to trim the end of the grip off to expose the inside of the bars. Insert mirror and tighten-but make sure you leave a bit of space for the throttle side so it snaps back and dont stick-thats super dangerous! They look cool but the rear view is not that great.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

sc00ter wrote: ...if they are bootleg mirrors, meaning the right (throttle side) mirror uses a standard/righty tighty-lefty loosy nut/ then a trip to the hardware store will be needed.
Features:
* Please be noted that this pair of mirrors is made for motorcycles... clockwise bolts (standard right hand threads), if you need anti-clockwise bolts (left hand threads), you may need to buy them in local shops (hardware store).

Once you get your new mirrors, go by Home Depot, Lowes or whatever hardware store you have and get two standard metric nuts to fit the mirrors, I am guessing you will want the 8mm nuts.

When removing the stock mirrors, put the stock nuts back on the same mirror it comes off so don't lose or break up the set as left hand nuts are harder to find.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Queenlian wrote:
PeteH wrote:Queenlian, if you're truly trying to get something that won't show you your shoulders, you _might_ consider bar-end mirrors. Yeah, they're down lower so you think you'd be moving your head all the time, but I can easily just flick my eyes down to mine - they're adjusted such that I can see behind me clearly with only eye movement, not needing to duck my head. I'm just a smidge taller than you.

I keep seeing bar end mirrors and I'm so confused... wouldn't the right hand mirror rotate with the throttle? How does that work with the buddy handles? That's got to be fairly ineffective while in motion. At least for the right flank.
Bar-end mirrors latch onto the inside of the handlebar pipe, not the rubber grip. The throttle control is a separate plastic cylinder that sits between the steel tube and the rubber grip. So it means that you need a big enough hole in the end of the grip to accommodate the mirror shaft. For the stock Buddy grips, you'll need to create/enlarge a properly-sized (7/8") hole. I replaced my grips at the same time with some that already had the larger end hole (and cap). Here's a photo:

And here's Dalvarado's thread that got me started: viewtopic.php?t=4495
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

You guys all rock. Thank you so much for all the help!. If I have trouble installing the new mirrors I'll come holler for help. :) They are due in tomorrow cause I paid for expedited shipping on them.

PeteH: Those handlebar grips are crazy sexy. I feel like this forum is a gateway drug. So many accessories I want! So many upgrades. GAH!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

If you live in California and like to lane split, bar end mirrors are a bad idea.
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

k1dude wrote:If you live in California and like to lane split, bar end mirrors are a bad idea.
Its still illegal here. Although I don't know if I'd have the ovaries to try it even if it was. I'm super claustrophobic and the lack of exit routes would freak me out lol.

I know they are trying to get it passed here in Oregon though. Mainly because of all the congestion on the freeways in Portland. I have to admit I don't envy all the motorcyclists hanging out in the heat in gridlocked traffic on the freeways. I'd want to get some air moving over me too.
Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

Ugh. Hardwware store here I come. Was really hoping one of the forty billion nuts in my dads garage would fit but NOOOOO that would be too easy. Lol. My left hand mirror is replaced now at least and I adore it. Just gotta drop by the hardware store on the way home from work tomorrow and grab a nut for the right side mirror.

Ill snap a photo once shes completed.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Try metric sizes...
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Interesting thread. Looking at getting bar end mirrors now. Stock mirrors were a little wobbly on my windscreen so I took it off but winter I'll need it again. What I'm looking for is extremely rare: Round, chrome, bar end mirrors. There are hundreds of black ones or odd shaped chrome ones but plain old, round, chrome ones are hard to find. Found a pair on eBay but I can't just buy them. Had to bid & wait. And wait... Found some on Amazon but a month wait for delivery & they're not chrome but silver. I may be the only guy on the planet who wants these next week. I'll keep looking.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Queenlian

Post by Queenlian »

Ok! So my mirrors are all installed and they are fabulous. I am so glad I was able to stick with something chrome to maintain that vintage look I am going for. And my rear visability is WAY better. I am sooooo happy with the results.

Here are some photos of my Nimbus from this morning. :)

MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Looks just fantabulous!
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

Piked up a set of these a few years ago for my Blackjack. I paid almost $20 then and now they're less than $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackey-Awesome%C2 ... 6S2948JS5E

They're short and offer a fairly small field of view. But they look super cool. They good enough to see the blind spots and I always turn my head before I change lanes anyway so I'm not sacrificing safety for style. That's what my novelty helmet is for. :lol:
ScootiePuffJr

Post by ScootiePuffJr »

Looks great! Nice job!
JayinLA

Post by JayinLA »

Hello. Okay if I revive this topic?

Just got a used 170 and although the mirrors are cute, I don’t find them very functional.

Any updated links for mirrors you like on eBay or Amazon?

Thank you!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I've had a pair of these on my C3 for the last 8 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Thread-S ... ive&sr=1-2

They don't wobble, and have held up great. I use a little blue loc-tite on them.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

DeeDee wrote:I've had a pair of these on my C3 for the last 8 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Thread-S ... ive&sr=1-2

They don't wobble, and have held up great. I use a little blue loc-tite on them.
I have those on my scooter also. They are cheaply made with the mirror back including a threaded part being plastic but seem OK and I like the elongate shape. I did end up using mirror extenders/risers to set them up a little higher and wider though.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JayinLA wrote:Hello. Okay if I revive this topic?

Just got a used 170 and although the mirrors are cute, I don’t find them very functional.

Any updated links for mirrors you like on eBay or Amazon?

Thank you!
OK, maybe I’m just ‘weird’, I’m happy with the stock mirrors on my Buddy but there are some great looking options shown in this thread.
Hope you find something you’re happy with.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The Buddy chrome mirrors come in two lengths. The standard short length gives you a great view of your shoulders. The longer mirrors extend your view, are well made but a bit pricey. I like the teardrop shaped chrome mirrors. I've never found the quality of them to be a problem.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 9.50.18 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 9.50.18 AM.png (90.14 KiB) Viewed 3336 times