2018 Buddy Kick Deadlight Kit

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KickinIt

2018 Buddy Kick Deadlight Kit

Post by KickinIt »

Good Afternoon, Everyone! Can anyone tell me if there is a kit to convert the front headlights on the Buddy Kick into running and turn signal lights?
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html
Send him a PM, I'm sure he'll help you out if he has some left.
Ferniesp

Post by Ferniesp »

I sent him a PM. It’s really easy. You remove the front badge with a wrench and I think like 8 screws for the front panel. Pry open enough space and your wires are looking at you. Connect each wire to the wire connected in the center.
KickinIt

Post by KickinIt »

Thanks, Everyone! I have sent VSP a PM.
mabo

Post by mabo »

What was the answer?
KickinIt

Post by KickinIt »

Here was VSP's reply:

Hello

To my knowledge, nobody has used any of the products I offer on a Buddy kick yet. That's not to say that they won't work, it just hasn't been confirmed yet. If the wiring is set up like the regular Buddy or Blur, then I see no reason why they wouldn't work.

I see you asked about this in the forum and someone mentioned that I offered a solution. They must have mistaken me for someone else. That member has never contacted me.

If you happen to live nearby, I'd be happy to install any of my products for you to confirm it works. I'm in Tacoma, Wa.
mabo

Post by mabo »

Bummer. Looks like I'll need to actually pull the front panel off. The wiring diagrams for the Buddy Kick vs. the regular Buddy 125 appear to be different. My source for the diagrams is below.

http://www.epfguzzi.com/scooterpunks/manuals/index.html

If I end up doing this project (harness or splicing), I'll post instructions in a separate post.

Can anyone confirm that the deadlight connectors are 2 pin "MTW" .110" connectors?
mabo

Post by mabo »

I just got off the phone with Genuine's customer service. I was able to verbally confirm there is a 6 pin connector from the main wiring harness to the instrument cluster. He stated one of the pins on the main harness side is wired for switched power, but is unused on the instrument cluster side. So that's good news if someone wanted to make a harness!

The bad news- the deadlights are actually an array of small LED colored bulbs and not just one bulb. To change the color (I believe he said they were yellow?), one would have to change to whole reflector/bulb assembly out first. I predict it would be hard to find the exact same reflector/lens shape, but that's my speculation. Colored running lights may or may not be legal in your area. He actually recommended it might be easier to just install handlebar-mounted aux lights rather than converting the current deadlights.

Side not, it's an easy "connect-the-plugs-back-together-again"procedure if you want the deadlights to be just extra turn signals.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If memory serves, the kick also has a pilot light in the headlight, a little bulb that's on all the time. If you're looking for a power source that's only ever on when the bike is running, what about tying into the headlight wiring?
mabo

Post by mabo »

That might be a solution for sure. According to the wiring diagram (not visual verification), that small bulb positive (+) wire is dark green.

In a recent post, VSP has offered to make an adapter if you get your BK to him. Wish I wasn't so far away...

Subject: ""Buddy Kick deadlight experiment. Free adapter"

Link: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic32020.html