Oil in the fuel tank (Help appreciated)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rowe2020

Oil in the fuel tank (Help appreciated)

Post by Rowe2020 »

Hi, all -

My girlfriend and I are Genuine devotees, having purchased our first scooter—a Buddy 50 2-stroke—two years ago, and loving every aspect of the experience.

We are due to bring the bike in for servicing, which is the silver lining to the fact that Genius here absentmindedly put oil in the fuel tank yesterday. Not realizing my error, I drove it five minutes to run an errand (noticing some sluggishness with the throttle along the way) only for it not to start again. Perhaps needless to say, I pushed it all the way home.

The rub is, we have to drive the scoot to our dealer for servicing, which means I need to drain and flush the fuel tank and carburetor. I can't find anything definitive online that explains how I go about that—at least in terms of anything that remotely resembles our make or model (2018)—and I'm reluctant to start unscrewing and unplugging things without some assurances. The owner's manual wasn't terribly helpful either.

Any tips here greatly appreciated. Happy to supply more info, if needed.

Many thanks!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Try siphoning the fuel out and refilling with clean fuel, ten ride a while and see of it runs well again.
The worst that is likely to happen is a fouled plug. Let the tech know about this faux pas and forget about it.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

For a complete fuel drain, I always pull the seat assembly (four bolts- two by the latch and two in the storage area), and find the line from the fuel tank right before it hits the filter. Having a waste reservoir handy, unclamp the line and disconnect it from the fuel filter. The contents of the tank should drain via gravity from there. When it stops, rock the bike from side to side to get any remaining contents out of the tank to drain down the line. Reconnect line, re-install seat basket and you should be OK to go.
Rowe2020

Post by Rowe2020 »

Thank you, GregsBuddy and Buzzvert! Very helpful. I siphoned out and refilled the fuel tank (with gas only, this time), and went so far as to detach the fuel filter in order to clean it out.

Had some trouble, subsequently, starting up the engine (it turns over just fine, and even starts from time to time but quickly cuts out), and in the process killed my battery. It's charging now. Hope to have all up and running in a bit.

Again, thanks!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Change the spark plug. Or, at least remove it and clean it with gas or carb cleaner. It's likely oily and with the additional insulation oil provides, not creating enough spark to ignite the fuel.
Be careful to not overheat the starter if it doesn't start quickly.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

Thinking about it, there's likely gas/oil in the carb. If you can run it through and let it idle (probably badly) for a while you'll be OK. Worst case scenario is getting the carb out, tipping it over and getting the old gas out of the bowl.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

It may not idle. No issues spinning it up and getting the fuel out.
You WILL get a coat of carbon on the piston and maybe the head if you don't get the stuff out.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Not to mention the extra coating of oil/carbon in the catalytic converter. Expect heavy smoke for a little while.