Deleted oil tank - fuel mixture?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BigJeff

Deleted oil tank - fuel mixture?

Post by BigJeff »

Hi - I recently bought a 2014 buddy 50 scooter. The entire fuel system was clogged from sitting for years in a garage. I prefer a manual Petcock and mixing my own fuel because it eliminates the issue of either of the vacuum valves malfunctioning and either ruining the engine from lack of oil or not starting for lack of fuel. So I replaced the vacuum petcock with a manual one and I removed the oil tank and capped off the vacuum ports. I plan on mixing the gas and oil the old school way and just pouring it in the tank. I did this on a Vento two stroke and it worked great.

My question is: what is the proper fuel to oil ratio on the Buddy 50 two-stroke Scooter if I mix the fuel and oil myself before adding it to the tank.

Thanks!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

50:1, and use a decent quality synthetic.

FWIW, the oil pump on the buddy engine is pretty bulletproof. It's shaft driven off the crank, so as long as you don't have air in the lines, or a blockage, it should work.
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

Mine is not gear driven. It is a simple vacuum port that draws in the oil.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Out of curiosity, does your Buddy have one of these mounted on top of the engine next to the cylinder and just forward of the upper most engine mount?
Attachments
buddy50oilpump.jpg
buddy50oilpump.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

Yes. All there is coming to or from that oil tank is a small rubber hose going to the intake manifold - and the wires for the dash oil light. It is a metered office vacuum port. I think I’ll go with a 32:1 ratio to start.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Then as Stanza said, you have a shaft driven oil pump like all the Buddy 50's have. See picture.
The oil pump gets it's oil from the oil tank and feeds a controlled amount of oil into the intake manifold to mix with the fuel. The amount of oil fed into the engine is determined by throttle position via a cable and an internal orifice within the pump itself.

Black circle indicates item 36 which is the oil pump assembly consisting of the oil pump itself and the gear driven shaft that makes it work.

The green arrow is pointing to the oil pump.

The red arrow is pointing to the gear driven shaft that drives the oil pump.

Third picture shows all the components that make-up the oiling system.

A very reliable system and more convenient than pre-mix, but it sounds like you're going to do whatever you want regardless of what anyone tells you so best of luck.
Attachments
genuine_buddy_50_oil_pump.jpg
genuine_buddy_50_oil_pump.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Crankcase Oil Pump (1).jpg
Crankcase Oil Pump (1).jpg (83.26 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
buddy50 oil sys.jpg
buddy50 oil sys.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

Thank you for the pictures and explanations from all of you. It all makes sense now. I guess I’ve been a little dense. Going to leave the oil pump intact and thank you so much for your help I appreciate your effort.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

No problem. I hope you get your Buddy sorted out. They're fun little buggers.