2T Exhaust Spoon?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Exhaust Spoon tip?

Good Idea (keeps oily exhaust off wheel and tire)
100%
Bad Idea (ruins your exhaust geometry)
No votes

Total votes: 4

Mr.FixIt

2T Exhaust Spoon?

Post by Mr.FixIt »

I saw this "exhaust spoon" thing on Youtube by user Stariocek. It looked liked an interesting concept. It looks like a spoon-shaped shield to keep the oily exhaust directed away from the rear wheel and tire. I'm constantly cleaning the rear wheel and rim on my Stella 2T.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? There is a lot science behind 2 stroke exhaust design. The length of the exhaust and shape is supposed to provide the correct backpressure reflection. By installing a spoon-shaped shield that really doesn't enter the direct exhaust path of flow adversely affect the performance of the exhaust?

I made one out of stainless last night for kicks. I didn't notice any difference on the ride to work this morning. (I'm still in break-in mode, so no WOT and no speeds over 40mph tested.)

What are your thoughts and experiences?
Attachments
Test Spoon
Test Spoon
2019_09_17_09_43_46_Photo_Google_Photos.png (180.88 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It's not going to affect things as much as you're thinking. Run it, rejoice in a clean rear wheel. As long as it isn't actively obstructing exhaust gasses (aka covering the pipe), you're good.
Houseoffubar

Exhaust spoon

Post by Houseoffubar »

No joke! I am picking up my first Stella 150 later today, and the tire is sopping wet with oil.
That said, don’t sweat any running change. This should have a completely immeasurable effect on exhaust tuning.
modsquad

exhaust spoon

Post by modsquad »

Great, inexpensive, idea for keeping rear wheel and tire free of oil. You all know oil and water don't mix.
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning