Rh 50 rebuild....lets put some decent power in a Roughy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RiderK

Rh 50 rebuild....lets put some decent power in a Roughy

Post by RiderK »

Well my almost six year relationship with a Malossi Sport 70 has came to an end (was told it was a Polini by the previous owner but anyway). Top end bearing had been making some loud complaints lately so i pulled the motor and tore her down. It had to be minutes away from the piston chewing up small end bearing to bits because you could rattle the piston up and down 3mm or so away from the rod. Bearing fell to pieces when i removed the wrist pin.

Anyway, i have a Stage6 Sport Pro MkII 70, an Athena Racing HPC full circle crank (# 075314), bearing and seal kit, Yasuni Carerra 16.07 exhaust, and Polini Hi-Speed variator all sitting here new and ready to install. The bike already has an NCY goldeny pulley, Ncy rear driven pulley, Polini For Race 3G clutch, Polini Evo 2 CNC bell, PHBG 19mm carb, and an old Gianelli Shot V1 (Nardo) exhaust. Ive got the jets to tune it in as well. I thought I'd share with you all because very few of my friends give the slightest crap about scoot tuning so i need to speak scooter nerd to you all. Is anyone interested enough that i should take some pics of the build progress? May also need to bounce ideas on some of you if i run in to any snags. Also have a 97 Piaggio Typhoon build going at the same time, Polini Corsa 70, Polini Cp 21mm carb, Jasil crank, Malossi overrange full kit, upgears, Doppler RR7 exhaust and so on.
Last edited by RiderK on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Roughhouse, S6 Sp Pro Mk2, C16 city, Athena full circle, 19 PHBG, Voca cf reeds, S6 TC clutch red spr, Polini vario, NCY tq drvr, premix, Polini tach temp voltage gauge, LEDs all around
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sounds like a great project to me. You got some nice parts there and yes, I for one would be very interested in how it all goes together. :helmet:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

babblefish wrote:Sounds like a great project to me. You got some nice parts there and yes, I for one would be very interested in how it all goes together. :helmet:
Well I'll post some pics here soon then. Im not the best at illustrating my projects with pictures because i get single tracked and before i know it ive missed a bunch of pictures. Let me plug my new ohone in to my laptop and figure out how to transfer pictures to it. I know....some google app can encapsulate my entire existence and share it everywhere hahaha. Should i assume that itd be easier to load pictires on this forum via a PC?

Also, i recall some posts where you and others (ohh buddy) were talking about another Stage6 Sport Pro Mk2 build that was consistently eating small end bearings and another guy had one twist his crank. Both of which were stock cranks. The stock crank has no port/slot/oil passage on the small end of the rod. So im very curious if this Athena full circle crank will do the job reliably. It is generously slotted on the small end and is supposedly rated for 16,000 RPMs. Way way higher then ill ever see. Im wondering if lack of lube to the small end is what seems to plague the built Genuine 50 with small end issues. People build some pretty hot street Zumas on 10mm wrist pins and they seem to work well. I havent seen anyone post about aftermarket crank experience with the Buddy or Roughhouse. Im deeply hoping this will be the winning ticket for a reliable higher R Buddy/Roughy build.
Last edited by RiderK on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Roughhouse, S6 Sp Pro Mk2, C16 city, Athena full circle, 19 PHBG, Voca cf reeds, S6 TC clutch red spr, Polini vario, NCY tq drvr, premix, Polini tach temp voltage gauge, LEDs all around
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Its the extra high RPM's that will kill the crank. I dont remember what RPM's the Stage6 runs to get into its "zone", as I personally run simple cast iron Malossi street kits, but the worse that could happen is you end up changing out the stock crank. I've done several cranks on Yamaha Zumas (same base motor) and its not crazy hard. A friend ran a Stage6 single ring aluminum (not sure what exact kit) on a stock crank Zuma with a Yasuni C-16, large valve intake, 21mm carb and open air filter and it never gave him a problem, and he ran that kit within inches of its life. Super fast also!
RiderK

Post by RiderK »

sc00ter wrote:Its the extra high RPM's that will kill the crank. I dont remember what RPM's the Stage6 runs to get into its "zone", as I personally run simple cast iron Malossi street kits, but the worse that could happen is you end up changing out the stock crank. I've done several cranks on Yamaha Zumas (same base motor) and its not crazy hard. A friend ran a Stage6 single ring aluminum (not sure what exact kit) on a stock crank Zuma with a Yasuni C-16, large valve intake, 21mm carb and open air filter and it never gave him a problem, and he ran that kit within inches of its life. Super fast also!
Motor is already out and i just split the case and removed the crank some hours ago. I have the Athena HPC full circle crank and all of the other parts listed above sitting here next to me. Im only waiting on the case half gasket to get here. Ive always just used sealant and no gasket for the case halves in the past but since this Genuine had a case half gasket from the factory, i decided id use one as well. I just split the case on my Piaggio Typhoon as well and did a full rebuild with a Top Racing (Jasil) crank and all the other parts i listed. So as of now im basically scooterless. Was building the Piaggio and riding the Roughy until the small end took a dump. Waiting for a gasket to finish the Roughy and picking up my grinder from work tomorrow so i can clearance the case for the overrange kit on the 97 Piaggio Typhoon. Didnt plan on having them both apart at the same time but thats how it goes.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

RiderK wrote:Well I'll post some pics here soon then. Im not the best at illustrating my projects with pictures because i get single tracked and before i know it ive missed a bunch of pictures. Let me plug my new ohone in to my laptop and figure out how to transfer pictures to it. I know....some google app can encapsulate my entire existence and share it everywhere hahaha. Should i assume that itd be easier to load pictires on this forum via a PC?
Actually, there is a Google app that will make it easier to move pictures around. If you don't already have a Google account, get one, it's free. Then install a Google app called "Photos". Register your smart phone, computers, tablets, smart refrigerator, smart vibrator, etc with Google. Now whenever you take any pictures with your phone it automatically gets uploaded into the cloud ready to be accessed by any of your registered devices. You can also set it up so that your family or friends can have access to which ever photos you chose. BTW, all of this is free up to a certain number of photos when saved in original resolution. I don't remember how many but I have close to a couple of hundred photos in Google's cloud and haven't reached my limit yet. I believe it's something like 15 gigabytes. If you save in a reduced or "high quality" resolution, then there is no limit. Google also uploads your videos too so that they're accessible any where.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Photos
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.