2009 Buddy 125 electric start problems

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

morrowbone

2009 Buddy 125 electric start problems

Post by morrowbone »

Hi there -
I've had an issue with the electric start on my 2009 Buddy 125 for a little while and I'm trying to figure out the next steps.

I cannot start it the scooter electrically. The kick start works fine and gets the Buddy up and running quickly. Here are some things I've done:

1. The battery is new (replacement) and charged.
2. I just replaced the solenoid/starter relay, which now gives me the click or "kata" (according to the service manual). Previously, I got no click when trying to electric start the Buddy.
3. The next step seems to be testing the starter motor, but I want to make sure I am looking at the right part (link to photo here: https://imgur.com/w5kNqFx). It's behind the air filter box and seems difficult to access... Could someone confirm this is the starter motor? I assume I'll need remove the pet carrier to try accessing it.

If that is indeed the starter motor, I'll work to remove it and test it on a good battery (it can be tested that way, right?).

If anyone has ideas for what might be the issue besides the starter motor, please let me know. If someone has experience or a thought about other parts to test, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for reading and any help.
Last edited by morrowbone on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

You asked for alternative answers that don't have anything to do with the starter motor, so here is one:

You aren't holding on one of the brake levers or the switches in your brake levers are bad. Does your brake light light when you apply the brakes. Test each brake lever separately. If one works and the other doesn't, hold the one that works on and push the starter button.
morrowbone

Post by morrowbone »

thanks for the idea, but i am holding the brake lever down and pressing the start button, which leads to a clicking sound (solenoid/relay), but no start.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Yes, that is the starter in your photo. Start by going to this page and downloading the 125 workshop manual:

http://modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17349.html

Then look on page 43 for a good photo that has a clear shot of the starter.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It's possible that you have a bad solenoid, which is making the appropriate noise, but not actually passing current. You can use a screwdriver to jump the connections (the two red wires) and engage the starter. If it does, then the solenoid is faulty, or the two red wire connections need to be cleaned/tightened. If this does NOT engage the starter, however, then you may need to replace the starter itself. Before you go that route, make sure that the wire leading down to the starter is secure at all connection points from solenoid to input terminal on the starter casing.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

May seem simple but pull the battery and test it. It may run fine after kickstarting because it's not reliant upon the battery at that point. Batteries are cheap.

If you need a starter, I just posted this to a previous thread so it's still in my clipbboard:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-STARTI ... 1509011430