Our very own Thumper!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Motorcycles!

Post by jrsjr »

God help us...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I still kinda want one, even though I am swimming in bikes.

Denver has also become absolutely s**t to ride in. I do it for sanity, but...ugh.

Still want one. And a RE Interceptor. And a Goldwing. And a pony!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Yay, a new forum, yippee!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:goofy: I can’t wait to read others’ impressions after seeing and riding since we’ve waited sooooo long!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

KABarash wrote: I can’t wait to read others’ impressions after seeing and riding since we’ve waited sooooo long!
I know, right? I figured motorcyclists needed their own forum to discuss things like D-I-D chains and sprockets, and chain tensioners, and 18" tires and motorcycle stuff like that. I can't wait to hear from our first crossover rider who actually started on a Buddy and moved up to a G400C. It's surprising how many of us were motorcyclists first and came to the Genuine Buddy because they are fun.

My fond hope is that the G400C will attract a mix of folks including folks who are trading up, folks who are trading down, and folks who are looking for that perfect first bike. I hope we can be of service to all.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I never liked motorcycles at all before getting my Stella, but the process of learning to ride and work on it has changed that. If I do ever get a motorcycle, the G400C would be the first one I look at.

I have to admit that it bothers me how transparenly Genuine is trying to sell us the retro-Americana lifestyle. ("Let’s focus on the people you’ll meet and the friendships you’ll form as you travel the roads that will take you through big cities, small towns and rural America.") I absolutely love my Stella, and its mechanical simplicity/quirkiness is part of its charm, but it has made me extremely wary of being sold an attractive, fantasy-inducing product rather than a quality product.

For example, I feel a little swindled by the retro-Americana-style Biltwell Gringo helmet I bought, which I bought because it looked awesome, and only later learned that it offers much less protection than modern helmets should. And when I contacted Biltwell to ask whether my helmet's face shield conforms to the ANSI Z87.1 safety standard as required by my state, they told me that ANSI Z87.1 is not a motorcycle safety standard. They're wrong about that. So when every rider in the G400C advertisements has a Biltwell Gringo helmet on, my gut tells me to stay away.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

johnk wrote: I absolutely love my Stella, ……………. but it has made me extremely wary of being sold an attractive, fantasy-inducing product rather than a quality product.
Careful, you are starting to sound political. :shock:
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Dooglas wrote:
johnk wrote: I absolutely love my Stella, ……………. but it has made me extremely wary of being sold an attractive, fantasy-inducing product rather than a quality product.
Careful, you are starting to sound political. :shock:
Look at it this way....your Stella is teaching you valuable mechanical skills. You may not always like your teacher, but you will be thankful for it later on.
johnk

Post by johnk »

Damn, I thought I could sneak in some complaining over in the G400C corner before anyone got here!

I guess my real point is that there can be a fine line between lovable, educational, complex, rolling beauty (like the Stella) and cheap crap with a good marketing spin (like my Biltwell helmet).

I want and expect the G400C to be on the Stella side, but those ads aren't helping!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Someone like JohnK is why I think Genuine should have named their motorcycle brand something *not* Genuine.

I've already gotten the whole "I like the G400 but my Stella was a pile" a few times. I try to explain that they couldn't be more different and that Genuine themselves aren't out back building bikes and scooters - but there's still that bad taste in their mouths.

It makes sense, though. 95% of customers aren't going to get nor care about the whole importer vs manufacturer thing. All they'll see is another retro looking thing with a Genuine badge.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it won't be as bad once people get to look at them.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I think you're right, dassscooter, but just to clarify: my Stella is NOT a pile! I love it, it is beautiful, and it has taught me a lot about value. I know that Genuine didn't manufacture the Stella and doesn't manufacture the G400C. My only complaint is with how Genuine is marketing them to us. That's the only point where the bad taste shows up (and it tastes like Biltwell). And, again, I would absolutely look at a G400C if ever I decided to buy a motorcycle!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

johnk wrote:I think you're right, dassscooter, but just to clarify: my Stella is NOT a pile! I love it, it is beautiful, and it has taught me a lot about value. I know that Genuine didn't manufacture the Stella and doesn't manufacture the G400C. My only complaint is with how Genuine is marketing them to us. That's the only point where the bad taste shows up (and it tastes like Biltwell). And, again, I would absolutely look at a G400C if ever I decided to buy a motorcycle!
Not an advertisement, but I LOVE my Biltwell helmet. To be fair though, it was my first new helmet in like 10 years, and all the padding had compacted in my old one.
Attachments
47084524_276216946425448_5201634389674426368_n.jpg
47084524_276216946425448_5201634389674426368_n.jpg (101.09 KiB) Viewed 14562 times
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

johnk wrote:I think you're right, dassscooter, but just to clarify: my Stella is NOT a pile! I love it, it is beautiful, and it has taught me a lot about value. I know that Genuine didn't manufacture the Stella and doesn't manufacture the G400C. My only complaint is with how Genuine is marketing them to us. That's the only point where the bad taste shows up (and it tastes like Biltwell). And, again, I would absolutely look at a G400C if ever I decided to buy a motorcycle!
I know, I was just using you as an example. You do your own work so owning a Stella isn't a big deal.

Think if you didn't even own a screwdriver - how would you feel about your Stella? Stellas are mostly owned by enthusiasts now but it wasn't always like that.
johnk

Post by johnk »

The new CSC SG250 looks like another motorcycle that might appeal to people who are heretofore scooter riders. It's a 250cc and about half the price of the G400C. The style is a more modernized cafe racer.

Here is a video review.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Looks and sounds expensive!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dasscooter wrote:Someone like JohnK is why I think Genuine should have named their motorcycle brand something *not* Genuine.
Hey now! The Genuine name is more associated with the Buddy than any other product. I would argue that the Buddy 125 is the most reliable and the best performer in its size range of any scooter ever sold in America. BuddyRaton and I were both commenting on the mechanical reliability of our Buddys in another recent thread. His '06 and our '07 have never had or needed any kind of mechanical repair since new - only routine servicing and tires. Pretty darned good record. Of course, that really gives the G400c something to live up to. :wink:
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I'm going to the annual International Motorcycle Show this weekend. I've been going every year since probably 2005. I'd bet the G400C would be a huge hit there but renting space is expensive. I've seen Vespa scooters on display there & Royal Enfield is always there. I sit on 50+ bikes there every year. Fun. This year is different. Not just looking but shopping for something WAY lighter than my 490 pound bike. I learned last Friday I can't pick it up if dropped. Wasn't a problem before but I'm 62 now. Will also check out the Genuine G400C when it's at my local dealer.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Syd

Post by Syd »

The show came to Phoenix once, never to return, so I'm boycotting IMS. :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

There used to be a motorcycle show around here once a year but it went away so I haven`t been to one for quite a while.:(
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

We got a boat show or two around here, but we don't have a motorcycle/scooter show either. :cry:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm drooling....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-trRJTFdLuo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I sure hope RE releases a couple of the 650 scrambler or adventure bike concepts.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You can really get a lot of bike for your money these days. The naked Lifan KP 200 can be ordered for $2,200 on some sites.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0013/ ... 1555953521

-Here is a vid of the scrambler version of the KP called the KPM 200. Looks a bit cheesy, but they are on the right track. No word on when it will be available in the States.

<iframe width="700" height="394" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0FfSLOWhKME" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Went to go look at a Himalayan in the flesh today. Slightly tall for me but not too bad. US$4750 with ABS. Problem is, this particular dealer is a rip-off. They want a little over $7000 out the door. Sales tax only brings it up to $5150 or so so they're charging almost $2000 for "dealer prep" and other fees. Guess I'll try elsewhere or maybe the used market.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Look for a new Himalayan on EBay. Seven grand OTD is criminal.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The small bike arms race continues. Kawasaki plans to produce a 250cc four cylinder bike.
https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feature ... x-25r.html
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

This is a very interesting scrambler conversion on an RE Interceptor 650.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ot_XZBeK7rk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Really liking it. His company, TEC Bike Parts also offers shorter adjustable rear shocks for us folks with normal size legs. ;)
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The RE twins look like a fun, affordable alternative to the Triumps.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The RE Interceptor almost looks like is was designed with a scrambler conversion in mind. It looks very easy to raise the front fender a bit. Just add spacers and possibly longer bolts.
- some interceptors come with an engine skid plate. It should be easy to enlarge it or add to it.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Here is a prototype for an 800c scrambler from Benelli. Alas, they have no plans to sell it in the States.

Https://advrider.com/benelli-introduces ... icma-2019/
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Hopefully RE has addressed the frame fracture problems by now.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbik ... racks.html
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Here is flat tracker version of the RE 650 Interceptor.
https://www.bikeexif.com/royal-enfield- ... at-tracker
Attachments
Royal-Enfield-Harris-Performance-Flat-tracker-760.jpg
Royal-Enfield-Harris-Performance-Flat-tracker-760.jpg (168.55 KiB) Viewed 14138 times
johnk

Post by johnk »

Here's a nice review of the Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 from FortNine.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I wish the higher performing small motorcycles were offered with classic styling like the G400C. The Honda CB300 has a nice big round headlight and 30 hp, but the rear end is all elevated sportbike.
-when somebody offers a tuner ecu for the G400C, maybe it can be made more competitive with some bigger valves and a longer duration cam.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Saw this 24 hp naked bike on TXpowersports.
TX Powersports says its a 250cc, but the Vitacci site says its 320cc, sort of.
The Vitacci site doesn't provide a displacement, but lists a bore/stroke of 62mm & 53mm. (two cylinders)
Price looks good if it is reliable.
https://www.txpowersports.com/vitacci_g ... -250cc.htm
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Nice looking bike and is probably made in China, not that that's a bad thing as long as QC is strictly enforced. But, like you, at this point of my life I'm hankering for something that's more traditional looking rather than sport bike. Been there, done that and these old bones just can't handle the aggressive riding position anymore. :(
That being said, I sure do like the looks of the RE Continental GT 650 though.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

"That being said, I sure do like the looks of the RE Continental GT 650 though."

Fortunately for those of us in the "arthritis" years, you can get riser clip-on bars.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Getting closer to an Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Scrambler. A company called Malle in Great Britain customized an Interceptor and will be offering the conversion parts for purchase. Hopefully RE will jump on the bandwagon and release a version of their own.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/etgkrpd2JzE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

It's a real looker.
Much easier to turn an Enfield Interceptor into a scrambler compared to a modern CB500.
Enfield should just offer scrambler and flat tracker kits before the motorcycle buying public moves on to other bike styles.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You could make a scrambler out of this overpriced, mid sized e-bike from Nui.
https://electrek.co/2020/01/07/niu-rqi- ... rdability/
Attachments
NIUbike.jpg
NIUbike.jpg (59.11 KiB) Viewed 14139 times
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Got a new motorcycle. Honda NC700X. Always like these for the low center of gravity & bottom-end torque. These aren't sport bikes or cruisers so there's always a few leftovers going cheap. Last summer I got a new 2014 for cheap. Loving it! Much more nimble than my Suzuki & I won't have a problem picking it up if I drop it.
Attachments
IMG-0270.jpg
IMG-0270.jpg (43.57 KiB) Viewed 14214 times
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Cool. Does it have DCT or do you shift it manually?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

wheelbender6 wrote:Cool. Does it have DCT or do you shift it manually?
It has the manual shift.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Somebody has finally done it. You can order a Grom clone with a 190cc cub engine already installed. No need to do the engine swap yourself.
https://gpxmoto.com/
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Actually, I'd like a Cub with a 190cc engine in it. Too bad Honda doesn't offer anything like that.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

A 190cc cub would be awesome. For better or worse, Honda will always prioritize reliability over brake hp and displacement. You will have to build that 190cc cub yourself.
babblefish

So will we see this new Honda in the US?

Post by babblefish »

New Honda 2021 CB350. Looks great to me. I might want one of these if the price were right and available.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WTJWeZyoIzU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The CB350 looks great, but a 350cc single isn't much to get excited about. If Honda brings it to the US, they will need to price it very aggressively to compete with the Himalayan and other lightweights.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

wheelbender6 wrote:The CB350 looks great, but a 350cc single isn't much to get excited about. If Honda brings it to the US, they will need to price it very aggressively to compete with the Himalayan and other lightweights.
That's true. This new CB350 has a 348cc engine making a little less than 21 HP. The original CB350 was 325cc, is a twin, and makes around 33 HP. Hmm, maybe if I were in the market for something like this I'd just go find a 1969 or so CB350. It wouldn't have disk brakes, anti-lock brakes, traction control, or fuel injection though. Eh, I don't care. I rode a 1968 CL350 for about a year back in 1969 and it was fine to me. Well, looking through rose colored glasses of course. Lol.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The upcoming RE Meteor is a nice retro looking bike, but performance will be unimpressive.
-Low revving, low performance singles seems to be the MO for a lot of manufacturers these days. Anybody miss the Savage/S40?
-The good news is that the G400C should be able to outrun it.
https://advrider.com/royal-enfields-met ... ember-6th/