Need to access idle mixture screw

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

catman

Need to access idle mixture screw

Post by catman »

I am going to install a Malossi Wild Lion exhaust. I will change the main jet and would like to adjust the idle mixture. The idle mixture screw seems to have a dark epoxy covering it. Just wondering what the best way to get the epoxy off. I have a replacement idle mixture screw that is slotted. This is a 2020 Genuine Roughhouse.
catman

Post by catman »

I removed the carb today. The epoxy covering the idle mixture screw was very thin and chipped off easily with the corner of a small chisel. The brass idle mixture screw was not slotted as I had read on some other posts. I drilled a small hole in the center of the screw and removed it with a screw extractor. Installed the new idle mixture screw that is slotted. Reinstalled carb and adjusted. Idles much smoother and initial throttle response is great.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Do you think the original idle mixture plug could be slotted by using a dremel?
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

A Dremel could be hard to control. I’d try a thin hacksaw blade with a high tooth count to cut a slot in the top. A replacement screw would be the best answer.
catman

Post by catman »

The replacement idle mixture screw was only a few dollars and it came with a new spring, the small washer and o-ring. You could easily slot the old one though.