Battery location for tender install

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fried okra

Battery location for tender install

Post by fried okra »

I've got a new Buddy 125 and am a believer in battery tenders.

The manual is pretty vague on access to the battery.

Before I just tear into it, it's under the floor mats maybe? They just lift up I guess?

Any more advice on this?

Best place to locate and run the tender lead?

fried okra
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

Yes the battery is under the floor mat. The mat just pulls off the floor exposing the two screws covering the battery. I routed my charge cable out below the plastics.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My ‘08 Buddy 150 has a 12v accessory plug in the left side of the leg shield, I use that to plug my battery tender into.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KABarash wrote:My ‘08 Buddy 150 has a 12v accessory plug in the left side of the leg shield, I use that to plug my battery tender into.
I do that as well. Just note that the 12V outlet is on a 1A fuse, so be sure you are using a tender with a .75A or 1A output such as the Battery Tender Junior.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Yep, I've got several of the Battery Tender Jr models.

Will need to see if have a "cigarette lighter" connector for them now :)

Good suggestion guys.

fried okra
MGM

Post by MGM »

I believe the new Buddys have a USB port instead of the cig lighter port. Battery tender has an adapter for this.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Looks my USB port is for cell phone charging and is rated for 5V and 2.1 amps.

Looks like going straight to the battery for the battery tender is the way to go!

fried okra
Point37

Post by Point37 »

KABarash wrote:My ‘08 Buddy 150 has a 12v accessory plug in the left side of the leg shield, I use that to plug my battery tender into.
same on my '13 + battery tender jr...i'd much rather have that than the usb charging port...i can always bring an external battery to charge my phone with if i need it
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Heads up on the USB port though, it's only hot/connected when the ignition is on. Turn the key off, and you'll break the connection, and the battery tender won't be able to back-charge.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Is there a uniform group decision on where the best place for the pigtail from the leads to the battery should exit the scooter?

Under the scooter, right or left side, or?
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Looks like the pigtail outta go off to the starboard side now that I've got the battery cover off :)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

once you look under there you'll figure out the best place...the only thing i will say is make sure your lead wire has the plug cap so it doesn't get all dirty
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
scootdad

RE: Battery location for tender install

Post by scootdad »

I have recently acquired a newer 170i with USB port where the 12v port was located in my older model. It seems that the outlet is switched, so I'm wondering if I will need to either wire in a separate pigtail directly to the battery, or if someone has created a reasonable workaround for this.

Thanks