Buddy 125 Mechanical Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bigshinybutton

Buddy 125 Mechanical Question

Post by bigshinybutton »

I've got a 2008 in fantastic condition. Nearby shop closed down so I have to take over maintenance.

I remember once having a service manual but I think I lost it. Anyone have link?

Also, I have a particular issue where, after idling normally, if I apply throttle and start moving, a second later there is an uneven jerk/shake and then the scoot accelerates normally. The engine does not drag during this time, but it almost feels like a clutch/engagement thing.

Thoughts?
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Dooglas

Re: Buddy 125 Mechanical Question

Post by Dooglas »

bigshinybutton wrote:Also, I have a particular issue where, after idling normally, if I apply throttle and start moving, a second later there is an uneven jerk/shake and then the scoot accelerates normally. The engine does not drag during this time, but it almost feels like a clutch/engagement thing.Thoughts?
Yes, it does sound like the belt could be slipping or the clutch bell needs to be deglazed. When was the last time the CVT was serviced?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

It could also be bad rollers, flat spots can cause a stutter or jerk.

Another possibility is the clutch is going bad or needs service.

I would start by looking at the rollers and belt. You should at least clean out the variator(sometimes this will fix small stutters and jerks.) If the rollers are still round they still might be good, if they have flat spots then replace them. As for the belt they usually last at least ~6k the standard recommendation is to change it every 8,000 miles.