Stella 150 harness routing

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slobber

Stella 150 harness routing

Post by slobber »

Hello,

I received a free Stella 150 from a kind soul, got it running - now it's time to fix the minor issues before taking it on the road. So far only one thing has stumped me: the front brake master light switch. It's in very poor shape, I'll need to replace it. Additionally, the wires leading to it have melted together.. all the way down the steering column. I need to rip them out and replace them, but can't figure out how to access the harness past where it splits off into the center well.

So, here are my questions:

1. Where in the states can I (relatively quickly) get a replacement brake light switch? I found this guy (https://www.scooterdynasty.com/switchbr ... a4t2t.aspx) but the price doesn't seem proper. This looks like a standard SPST switch, but the thread seems to be M6x0.8 - can anyone confirm this?

2. How and where can I access the harness where the front brake blue-white and violet wires join the others?

This is a shame, I was really hoping to get it on the road this week, but the last thing I expected to keep me from it was a melted harness.

Cheers!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Can you post a picture of the damage?

This brake switch should work on your bike
https://www.scooterworks.com/Switch-Fro ... 14371.aspx
slobber

Post by slobber »

Thanks Stanza, that looks like a good local source. I'll order it there if I can't find a generic switch that fits.

I can't really take a picture of the damage: already ripped out most of the bad wiring. The two wires that lead to the brake light switch (blue-white and violet) have melted together from the switch down through the steering column. I took off the front cover and traced the wires down to where they go into the center well - there was still damage there, with a lot of corrosion. A lot of the outer black isolation has been melted in the area as well, but other wiring doesn't seem to be damaged.

Looking at the wiring diagram, both of these wires join those that land on the rear brake pedal switch. Where can I access this part of the harness? Looking at this diagram (http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/stellawiringharness), it's likely to be where the harness splits off for the rear of the scooter, right above part #4, but I don't know whether this diagram is to scale.

I was thinking of raising the scooter by the steering column and taking out the rear brake - maybe that'll expose an access point. If not that, then taking out the fuel tank. Apart from that, I'm relatively lost.
slobber

Post by slobber »

Ah, well, I took off the rear brake and found no wires connected to it. The switch is there, but I can't see or feel the wiring for it in the tiny hole. Tomorrow I'll take out the fuel tank and see if I can find access through there.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

slobber wrote:Looking at the wiring diagram, both of these wires join those that land on the rear brake pedal switch. Where can I access this part of the harness?

I was thinking of raising the scooter by the steering column and taking out the rear brake - maybe that'll expose an access point. If not that, then taking out the fuel tank. Apart from that, I'm relatively lost.
The stella wiring can be tricky, the body is essentially sheet metal that's stamped together, and the wiring is snaked in between the panels. In order to run a new one, say, if you didn't have anything in there at all, would be to fish a stiff wire through and use it to pull your harness wires. If you are wanting to run completely fresh wires, you'll need to strip away the sheathing at to expose the individual wires you want to replace, and use those to pull new wires through the existing wiring channel.
slobber

Post by slobber »

Gotcha. Well, got it all sorted today. Apparenty I've been confusing the gray wire with violet when I was talking about it, but that made little difference.

I threw two cables all the way from the front switch to the back, spliced with another pair to the rear brake. One wire I spliced into violet wire on the regulator, second one went directly to the blue/white wire at the rear light. I also replaced the console lamp blue/white with the second signal wire. Pulled it all through with some packing wire I found at a hardware store nearby.

All works well - now I just need to get that front brake switch. I'm still quite convinced that I can find a generic one, but if not, I'll be ordering by your link above. I'm having difficulty bleeding the front brake anyway, so it gets to sit overnight with a ziptied lever.

Thanks for your assistance!
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Glad you got the wiring sorted.

Bubbles in the brake line don't like to go downward. I gently pressurize the cracked-open bleed screw using a jar with a dip tube and pressure tube. This necessitates the removal of excess fluid from the reservoir by syringe. The bubbles flow right out.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)