Aftermarket exhaust roughhouse

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rapid008Panda

Aftermarket exhaust roughhouse

Post by Rapid008Panda »

So I am installing an aftermarket exhaust and I don’t know what I’m doing. On the stock exhaust there is this hose that comes off the exhaust pipe, goes into this box with a filter in it and then the host goes into the engine or something. My aftermarket exhaust has no place for this so I’m not sure what to do next?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

That canister and hose is part of your emissions system on the stock pipe. It's meant to allow a little air to get into the pipe (hence the reed valve and filter), to help heat up the catalytic converter to burn off the leftover 2t oil and hydrocarbons. If your aftermarket pipe doesn't have a built in converter (almost none do), then you can mostly remove that setup.

The only thing you should leave is the rubber hose coming off the engine . It's coming from the CVT actually, but you'd never know that by looking at where the port is. Tuck that up where it won't fall out, or get water in it, and you should be good.

If you are putting an aftermarket pipe on though, make sure you upjet the carburetor, or you're in for a dramatic (and short) ride
scootiebob

Also in the same process.

Post by scootiebob »

I edited out the double post, sorry about that. I thought I was replying to the members separately in each post.
Last edited by scootiebob on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Double and triple posting. Whyyyyyy
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Stanza wrote:That canister and hose is part of your emissions system on the stock pipe. It's meant to allow a little air to get into the pipe (hence the reed valve and filter), to help heat up the catalytic converter to burn off the leftover 2t oil and hydrocarbons. If your aftermarket pipe doesn't have a built in converter (almost none do), then you can mostly remove that setup.

The only thing you should leave is the rubber hose coming off the engine . It's coming from the CVT actually, but you'd never know that by looking at where the port is. Tuck that up where it won't fall out, or get water in it, and you should be good.

If you are putting an aftermarket pipe on though, make sure you upjet the carburetor, or you're in for a dramatic (and short) ride
What are the jet sizes for the prima exhaust? I think it's 90 and 40 something for the idle jet just can't remember.