Anyone see any deals on Buddy 125 /150 Oil filters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CountChocula

Anyone see any deals on Buddy 125 /150 Oil filters

Post by CountChocula »

Seems like last time I bought one they were tons of cheap options.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Looking for some myself. The price for these things has gone stupid. The last time I bought some it was around $24 (shipped) for 4.

A website called "BeReelOutdoors.com" has them for $5.89 each plus tax plus $7.99 shipping. If I order 5 it works out to $7.94 each including tax and shipping (total is $39.72). Problem is, I've never heard of this place so I don't know how reliable they are.

BTW, the filter part number is Hiflo HF197. This has the hex on the top and not the slot. Fits all Genuine scooters and Vespa's.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Cycle Gear used to sell the HiFlo's for a great price but went over to K&N's at 3x the cost.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

tenders

Post by tenders »

$6.22 on Amazon Prime if you look at the “used� option (ie, returned or packaging opened). $8.60 otherwise for one. Is that so bad?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

tenders wrote:$6.22 on Amazon Prime if you look at the “used� option (ie, returned or packaging opened). $8.60 otherwise for one. Is that so bad?
It is if you're used to paying $6-7 for a car oil filter, which is two or three times bigger. On top of that, cars don't have to have their oil changed as often. Usually 3-4 thousand miles, sometimes longer.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Regardless of size, I doubt anybody's making any money shipping filters around for less than $10 apiece. Maybe they're cheaper in stores where they hope to sell you other stuff while you're in there...but I wouldn't know, I've never been in one.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

$5.89 each. Free shipping if you buy $75 worth: https://bereeloutdoors.com/hiflofiltro- ... GQQAvD_BwE
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Used up my last oil filter on my Buddy so I took a chance and ordered 6 HF197 oil filters from BeReelOutdoors. Decided to do so because they sent me a 10% off offer via email. We'll see how this goes.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Babblefish: Would you let us know if the BeReelOutdoors filters are a reasonable price and if they are good quality? thanks
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ucandoit wrote:Babblefish: Would you let us know if the BeReelOutdoors filters are a reasonable price and if they are good quality? thanks
The price is good if you buy 4 or more (to make up for the shipping cost) and they're suppose to be made by HiFlo. Unfortunately I haven't received mine yet because they're backordered.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Received my HF197 oil filters from BeReelOutdoors. They appear to be genuine HiFlo filters as far as I can tell. Came out to US$7.05 each including sales tax and shipping when I bought six. I change oil filters after every other oil change so I guess this will last me a little while.
Attachments
HF197.jpg
HF197.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I also bought six filters this morning. In addition to my two Vespas and two Buddies, I also change the oil and filter on my sister-in-law's Vespa. These six filters won't last me long.

I noted they now have 44 filters in stock.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
tenders

Post by tenders »

Do Buddies and Vespas use the exact same filters? Interesting.

My Scarabeo 500 and Vespa 150 use different filters, even though Piaggio made them both, and my Buddy 50 of course doesn’t use one at all. Stockpiling six filters to save $8 seemed like extreme economy, but if they apply to multiple common models it makes sense.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Yup, same filter for both.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I know it seems silly to go through all this trouble in order to save $8-9 but when one's monthly income is less than most peoples weekly income, one must be frugal wherever possible. The local scooter dealers around here charge anywhere from $10 to $20 each for an HF197 oil filter so it's worth my while to shop around online.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

tenders wrote: Stockpiling six filters to save $8 seemed like extreme economy, but if they apply to multiple common models it makes sense.
At ~$7 a filter the savings are move like $18 or more since these filters are usually $10 or more when you buy them one at a time.

If you ride a lot it's nice to have extra maintenance parts sitting on the shelf ready to go. I like having oil filters, spark plugs, spark plug caps, tires, rollers, and a belt sitting ready to go. Saving money on those parts is just a bonus.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Got my six filters in the mail today. Now the real fun begins!
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
dan v.

Post by dan v. »

Read this post a while back and it piqued my interest. I have had filters for my Buddy that were both slotted and with a "nut" on the end.

Seller websites often show the same filter being used on the Buddy and on Vespa, but the HiFlo website shows different filters for each.

I emailed HiFlow and asked if the filters were the same, but only having the slot or "nut" as the difference - and curious as to any spring settings inside, or folds in the filter, etc as differentiating them.

The reply from HiFlo: "The two filters are very similar but not identical.
We know of many people using them interchangably but to be safe and maintain our warranty, you shoudl follow our listings."

Soooo....not sure which model (Buddy-#197, Vespa-#183) has the slot/nut but I guess it doesn't make much difference. edit-I see from the pics above the #197 has the nut.

I think the last time I got filters they were Piaggio labeled and had the nut.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Hiflo lists the HF183 for use with Piaggio, Vespa, Malaguti, Peugeot, basically, most of the Italian scooters. Many websites show the HF197 can also be used in place of the HF183.

They show that the PGO scooters use the HF197 filter, but the confusing thing about this is (and I could be wrong here) many Genuine scooters came from the factory with HF183 installed.

So far, I haven't heard of anyone having any problems using either one in their Genuine scooters.

BTW, some Polaris ATV's specify a HF197 filter for their engines. I imagine it'll be their smaller ATV's.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I changed the oil and filters on both my Buddies and Vespas this week. I used these Hi Flo filters with no issues. The only difference between these filters and the Piaggio filters is the nut on the end of the Hi Flo filter is smaller at 17mm and the sealing gasket is flat not rounded. I’ll keep using them, especially at this price.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
DeeDee

Re: Anyone see any deals on Buddy 125 /150 Oil filters

Post by DeeDee »

If you're looking to stock up on filters, here they are for $6.51 each, shipping included if you buy 10. Free shipping over $50, no sales tax. Came to $65.11 for 10 filters. Use the 10% off code shown: https://lionparts.com/products/set-of-5 ... f97f&_ss=r
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-04 8.59.45 AM.png
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3