Restoration Help! 2009 Lambretta Uno 150cc / Adly

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SwagDog69

Restoration Help! 2009 Lambretta Uno 150cc / Adly

Post by SwagDog69 »

Hey Scootards, you were so helpful with my last question that I'm hoping lightning can strike twice. I've got some stumpers for you.

I'm finishing up (yeah right) restoration of this Lambretta, which I hear are just rebadged Adly's, which I bought with the body / cylinder disassembled.

There are some parts left over (cue record scratch)! I'm gonna go through them now:

-A tiny rubber seal. It's part no. 20 from the parts diagram attached. It's just hanging out in space! Where does it go, what does it do? I'm guessing on the spark plug?

-The "catch tank comp" is busted up. It's part no. 25 on the parts diagram attached. It is also hanging out in space! Where does it go, what does it do? I ordered a replacement, but will not know what to do when it arrives...

-Some big brass-looking washers. Pic attached. I couldn't find these in the parts manual and have no clue.

Thanks for any help!

my sources:
http://www.lambrettausa.com/files/image ... Manual.pdf
http://www.family-motorsports.net/GY6-50cc-150cc.pdf
http://www.lambrettausa.com/files/image ... Manual.pdf[/img]
Attachments
washer pic
washer pic
wp.JPG (24.56 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
catch tank comp pic
catch tank comp pic
ctc pic.JPG (30.86 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
rubber seal.pdf
rubber seal
(85.62 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
catch tank comp.pdf
catch tank comp
(92.79 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Bar end weight component?

My $0.02

P.S. Here is the pic snipped from the PDF of the manual that you linked:
Attachments
UNO Manual Snippet.JPG
UNO Manual Snippet.JPG (46.32 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
SwagDog69

Post by SwagDog69 »

So I've taken some pictures of the seal and where I think it goes - let me know what you think!

https://imgur.com/a/xeNc9LJ
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I've been trying to figure this out, and I came across your photo (on Reddit) of the inside of the cylinder head cover:

https://imgur.com/a/pb0OjVS

It looks to me as if you have the seal location correct. Oil appears to be pumped up through the cylinder head and distributed to the camshaft bearings and rocker arms via passages in the camshaft holder. The seal itself appears to be meant to be sandwiched between the camshaft holder and an opening in the cylinder head cover (in the plate with the 4 screws) . That opening looks like it feeds oil through a passage that has an outlet over the cam follower end of the rocker arms.

Sorry for the multiple "looks like" and "appears" qualifiers, but it's really hard to tell for sure. A simple addition to the parts manual showing the inside of the cylinder head cover and the orientation of the seal with respect to the head and cover should have been provided. Sadly though, the diagrams in many scooter manuals look like they were done by a 3 year old with an Etch-A-Sketch.

Please let us know how this turns out.
SwagDog69

Post by SwagDog69 »

Thanks charlie55 and jrsjr - and to the untold thousands following the drama at home - to put a button on this, here is what I did (check out the album linked).

I don't know about the rubber seal, I stuck it on the cylinder lid and am hoping for the best.

The brass bushings and catch tank comp I believe are installed correctly, so also hoping for the best.

I'll be testing this out in the next week or so and will update the forum.

Check out this album:
https://imgur.com/a/AhJPfoX
SwagDog69

Spark?

Post by SwagDog69 »

I do have a final question however - which spark plug should I use?!

The Owner's Manual says cr7hsa

The Parts Manual says cr8ea

I'm inclined to follow the owner's manual but have no idea.
SwagDog69

Update

Post by SwagDog69 »

Hey Scootmonseurs and Scootmadammoiselles,

I wanted to update on some of these parts:

I got a new "catch tank comp" and stuck it where the old one was, it kind of hangs out on the bottom of the scooter, below the foot panels. Doesn't seem to do anything.

Those big gold brass bushings ended up securing the seat in place! Who knew, couldn't find them on the diagram.

That tiny rubber seal, I still don't know. Doesn't seem to have a purpose. I put it inside the cylinder head lid because there's a spot it fits in nicely.

That's it!
SwagDog69

Running this Scoot

Post by SwagDog69 »

Hey Gang,

I solicit advice again - I had the Uno up and running about a month ago for a few days, and it was glorious.

Then in the course of use, whilst slowing down the RPMs revved up for a few seconds and the engine died. Would not restart. Walked it home and found it had little compression. Took the cylinder head apart, turns out the piston knicked an intake valve, ordered a new intake valve replaced it and put it all back together.

Now I'm getting pretty great compression, 150+ psi. I'm obviously scared this will happen again, so re-did the valve clearances to 0.004 intake and 0.006 exhaust, did my best to get it TDC upon reassembly.

Recently took it outside to run, and it will get up and running and I can throttle it, but withing a minute or less it will just die!

Here are two videos:
https://youtu.be/dC6iDE1HAvI
https://youtu.be/xXlM4XggXm4

Any idea what the issue is, what I can work on to fix this?

Thanks,

Scootless in Seattle (well, Portland)
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Running lean as fuel drops out. Is this one fuel injected or carbureted? If fuel injected, does it have an O2 sensor? If so, is that exhaust leak at the head, or down the pipe? Something is throwing your fuel mix off and it's leaning out right before it dies (you can hear it rev up just slightly before stalling)
SwagDog69

Post by SwagDog69 »

Stanza wrote:Running lean as fuel drops out. Is this one fuel injected or carbureted? If fuel injected, does it have an O2 sensor? If so, is that exhaust leak at the head, or down the pipe? Something is throwing your fuel mix off and it's leaning out right before it dies (you can hear it rev up just slightly before stalling)
This one has a carburetor. By running lean out you mean lack of fuel?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Yep. If it's a carburetor, it sounds like the bowl is running empty. Your fuel delivery might not be fast enough to keep up with demand. Check the easy stuff first. Pull the fuel line from the carburetor, and crank the bike for a second or two. If fuel is coming out at a good rate (steady stream), then you may have a float needle that it sticking or swollen, preventing proper fuel flow into the float chamber.
SwagDog69

Post by SwagDog69 »

Stanza wrote:Yep. If it's a carburetor, it sounds like the bowl is running empty. Your fuel delivery might not be fast enough to keep up with demand. Check the easy stuff first. Pull the fuel line from the carburetor, and crank the bike for a second or two. If fuel is coming out at a good rate (steady stream), then you may have a float needle that it sticking or swollen, preventing proper fuel flow into the float chamber.
Hey thanks! So I checked the fuel line - all good. Took out the carburetor, took it apart and cleaned it real good, all parts seemed functional. Put it back together and tested it out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9K1qatjY4

So now it idles beautifully. Like no problem, for ages. However, when I throttle you can see what happens, eventually it kinda kicks the bucket.

Any ideas folks?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Were you giving it gas that whole time? Was it full throttle?

It's old enough that you may have a diaphragm seal problem. Buddy 125s get this at about the 8-10 year mark as well.

Take the top plate off the carb to expose the diaphragm. Coat the groove that the diaphragm fits into with bearing grease (just a line of it, don't go crazy, but do go all around the groove), and seat the diaphragm. Then, put a thin layer of grease on the upper perimeter where the top plate will be mating to it. This will seal any small air leaks that would prevent your diaphragm, and throttle slide from actuating properly.

If it's not that, next time it dies, take the carb off and check how much fuel is actually in the bowl at the time of stall.
SwagDog69

An Update, and HELP!!!

Post by SwagDog69 »

Hey Scoot-hogs,

An update - after installing a new carb, checking the fuel lines, tightening everything down - I think it was carb issue (my opinion - the carb wasn't fully in and tightened :cry:). It appears to run okay now.

I have another issue though! The scooter will "bog down" or "kangaroo" hop while I am riding it. And I did hear a pop or two I believe while riding for 5 or so minutes. I hop online to diagnose, and read it could be 1. carb or 2. exhaust.

I don't think it's carb because I just went over all that. I DO think it is the exhaust - here's why:

When I bought this Lambretta, it wasn't fully put together. However, also, there was a piece on the side that the parts manual (linked somewhere in this post) calls the "Reed Valve Comp" that was melted. It also didn't connect to anything.

However, it should connect to the exhaust pipe! See the pictures in the link below - there is an extension that comes off of the exhaust, and from the parts manual it is supposed to connect to the "Reed Valve Comp", and then also feed back into the carb (I think?). Anyway, I don't see this extension on ANY other scooters, so it's weird - if you know exactly what it is, please enlighten. A mechanic at a scooter shop I asked said it was put in for California emission standards, which makes sense. However, since it's melted and I don't live in California, I took off the "Reed Valve Comp". Now that exhaust extension is just open and there - I think that is a problem. I think at some points during scooter use use air enters the engine through here, through the exhaust, instead of just exiting. Air should only enter through the carb / intake! I think this is making it "kangaroo" / "bog" and caused the pop.

My question is thus: should I plug this exhaust extension? If so, with what? Or should I order a new "Reed Valve Comp" and hoses and fittings?

I am leaning toward the former, because if I don't need those components, I don't want to have more parts that could fail in the future.

If you've read this far, congrats! You win the "good forum user award"!

Pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/cJggbzq
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Personally I would not spend another dime on that scooter. It wasn't well built to start with and may just be a money pit.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
SwagDog69

Post by SwagDog69 »

Well... an end to the long Lambretta saga.

I almost followed BuddyRaton's advice and scrapped the project, but a gear in my head kept turning. That little exhaust pipe penis thing - I ended up plugging it with a brass plumbing plug fitting, and the scooter stopped "kangaroo hopping". But that wasn't the end!

I thought it was good, but then I took it up to 30mph and CLACK! it died on me. Engine turned, couldn't get no compression. I set it aside and called for a ride. It sits in my yard for a month or so, I take the top end apart AGAIN and the piston knicked a valve AGAIN. So I'm thinking: why does it keep doing this?

Because the parts weren't compatible! When I bought the thing, the previous guy had did the big bore thing (without an actual bore) but replaced the cylinder and piston, bringing it up to 61mm and 170cc. HOWEVER, no consideration was given to the cylinder head - the original four valve was replaced. And I kept trying to make it work. But that piston was not compatible with those valves. And it kept knicking them. So I called NCY (that guy there is great) and asked his advice. He says oh yeah duh of course and that I could either replace the cylinder head (for the standard 2-valve one) or I could do something called piston notching - using a dremel to cut / modify the valve relief. I was more comfortable (and thought I'd have better success) with the valve head so I ponied up for one from NCY.

It comes and I'm stoked but it's way thinner than the 4-valve head. So my cylinder studs are too long. frak. I order shorter (standard) cylinder studs. The existing ones are super hard to remove (the two-nut trick did not work in the slightest) so I get a special tool from the auto shop. A month later, all parts are in, the studs are replaced and the 2-valve head fits. But the valve lid! That didn't fit. frak. I head to the local scoot shop, and check in back - turns out they have a bunch of engines sitting there - dozens. I find a super clean 157QMJ - my GY6 model. All they parts were there, clean condition. I could have just picked that whole thing up and harvested from it! :cry: :cry:

Anyway I just took the lid. The scooter started up quick, ran smooth. Spent a few hours snapping and crumbling plastic putting the body on and that's the end of the story!

It's a pleasure to ride. :D Until the next break :lol: