Hooligan rpm gauge stuck, speedometer and fuel not showing

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blackice5674

Hooligan rpm gauge stuck, speedometer and fuel not showing

Post by blackice5674 »

Hey guys my battery recently died so I went ahead and got a jump for it. When I turned it on, the rpm gauge is stuck at 12, the blinker, brights, and fuel lights are on, and nothing shows up for the fuel gauge or speedometer. But all lights are on. I tried resetting the onboarding computer with the holding the throttle, turning the key, 10 seconds, release throttle and turn bike back off but that didn't work.

Any ideas? Also, the scooter isnt reliably starting up. It sometimes requires me to hit the engine kill switch before it works. If I hook up a portable battery charger is shows it is almost fully charged. And if I use that portable battery charger to "active start" and start the scooter it starts right away with no issues (but the dash is still messed up)
Last edited by blackice5674 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

You've probably mentioned which bike you have in a previous post, but can you remind us here?
blackice5674

Post by blackice5674 »

Stanza wrote:You've probably mentioned which bike you have in a previous post, but can you remind us here?
Ah sorry it's a hooligan 170i

I added it to the title too just now!
blackice5674

Post by blackice5674 »

Just a slight update. The dash is still all funky, with the rpm pointing at 12, the lights are all on, but nothing showing on the screen.

But the battery startup issue is good. Let a portable battery charge it over night and it started right up this morning. But not being able to see my gas and speed is no bueno
tenders

Post by tenders »

Have you checked all your fuses?
blackice5674

Post by blackice5674 »

tenders wrote:Have you checked all your fuses?
I've pulled the seemingly relevant ones out of the box and they look fine. Do I need to use a multimeter on them?

Also, when I started it up last night the RPM gauge was unstuck and the fuel/mph were showing just fine. About 5 minutes into driving the display started flashing and disappearing in random spots, and by the time I got home it was lit up, but nothing showing up again like before, and the RPM gauge was once again stuck at 12
tenders

Post by tenders »

Often you can tell a bad fuse by eye, but to tell for sure you either swap them around or use a multimeter.

But this doesn't sound like a bad fuse to me. This sounds like an intermittent ground that is making your instrument panel wonky. Check every connection on the bike that you can, especially the ones on the regulator and everything connected on the battery - which on the smaller Buddies can be easy to get ungrounded.

Could also be a bad stator ending bad voltage through the circuitry, but that is unlikely.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

If memory serves, the hooligan also has more than one ground wire at the battery. Maybe check if yours are all connected? Beyond that, I would check the voltage at the battery while the bike is off, while cranking it over, and while running. The 170 (whether hooligan or buddy) is pretty fussy over having a strong battery, and a weak one will cause odd behavior from the electronics.