Bystarter question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

japerritt

Bystarter question

Post by japerritt »

Hoping you guys can shed some light on bystarters. My sister has a Honda CH80 scooter. It's always been difficult to start. Last year I rebuilt the carb on and I watch the bystarter/electric choke work as power was applied to it. It worked just as it should according to a helpful motor cycle repair video I watched. Every time I go to start the scooter it takes about 60 seconds of pressing the starter button to even begin to start running or firing. Once that bysarter has about 90 seconds of power the scooter runs GREAT. I wondered, is this how they all work? Another dumb question, can I just turn the key to the scooter on to warm the bystarter up, or do I have to be trying to start the engine (aka applying power to the starter)? I can test that last question myself in the morning when the engine is cool. I find it starts right up after its been running, but let that thing sit overnight and it takes time to warm the bystarter up, way too much time IMO. I wish it had a manual choke. I live in South Georgia where its warm all the time.
tenders

Post by tenders »

The bystarter, when cold, is set up in such a way that it enrichens the mixture at startup, and as electricity flows through it warming a wax switch which activates when melted, returns the mixture to running condition about 60 seconds after the engine has been operating. When the engine is turned off and electricity is removed from the bystarter, the engine cools, the wax returns to solid form, and the mixture will be rich again at the next startup.

It is operated kind of in the opposite of the way a choke works, in that you actively engage the choke to start, and then turn it off for normal running conditions.

If the engine only starts when the bystarter has been on for a while, the CH80 is tuned too rich. It is designed to be tuned when the engine is fully warmed up.
Last edited by tenders on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
japerritt

Post by japerritt »

Thank you! That makes sense. I'll dome some tuning.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

japerritt

Post by japerritt »

Thanks!