Modification Question: What should I do to my Eclipse?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coolrays

Modification Question: What should I do to my Eclipse?

Post by coolrays »

Bought this a few years ago, didn't ride it too much, and recently thought about selling it. Pulled it out to clean 'er up and take some photos, took it for a spin and decided to hang on to it. 2017 with only 450 miles. Never been wrecked or dropped.

I've got a lot of time because of the current pandemic, and I am looking for some simple mods to do in my spare time. The only mod I've done was the back luggage rack.

So my question for you all is what would you do to this Buddy?

Any constructive criticism would be very appreciated. I know, I know, "Just ride it, stupid!" (I plan on it now that Summer is here and I plan on keeping it.)

Thanks in advance.

coolrays

Post by coolrays »

One thing I'll say that I'd like to do is get a stock 'normal' seat. My only complaint about the Eclipse is that I slide forward on the seat constantly, and it's not that comfy.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

You can add a windshield. Makes riding more comfortable.

Cuppini windshield: https://www.amazon.com/Scooter-Windscre ... 0786&psc=1

A top case can be handy for storage.

Convert the deadlights to running lights (with LED bulbs) with an adapter harness available by vendors on MB. Here is mine, with Cuppini windshield.
Attachments
SmallLED19b.jpg
SmallLED19b.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

BayStateScooterist wrote:Convert the deadlights to running lights (with LED bulbs) with an adapter harness available by vendors on MB. Here is mine, with Cuppini windshield.
I would absolutely LOVE to convert those unused lights to daytime running lights. Is this an easy(ish) thing to do?

Can you shed some... light on this for me? Either in this thread or PM?

Thank you!
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

coolrays wrote:
BayStateScooterist wrote:Convert the deadlights to running lights (with LED bulbs) with an adapter harness available by vendors on MB. Here is mine, with Cuppini windshield.
I would absolutely LOVE to convert those unused lights to daytime running lights. Is this an easy(ish) thing to do?

Thank you!
Yes it is an easy adapter cable installation. No wire splicing required.

Check out these sites.
Adapter cable: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... ht-harness
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... g-location
LED bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR ... UTF8&psc=1
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

BayStateScooterist wrote:
coolrays wrote:

Thank you!
Yes it is an easy adapter cable installation. No wire splicing required.

Check out these sites.
Adapter cable: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... ht-harness
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... g-location
LED bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR ... UTF8&psc=1
So awesome. Looks like a fun little project. Thanks again!
tenders

Post by tenders »

This is what you want. PM him directly to order.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29569

Agree with BSS that windshield, top case, and deadlights are very practical and useful enhancements!

I used these LEDs for the deadlights:
iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 1156 1141 1003 BA15S LED Bulbs with Projector replacement for Back Up Reverse Lights,Brake Lights,Tail Lights,Rv lights,Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721FNCWP/

I also replaced the bolts holding the seat bucket into the frame with knobbed bolts, so it can be taken out without tools.
M6x15mm 25mm Star Head Dia Screw On Type Clamping Knob 5Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQBQ4IM/

And swapped an LED in for the headlight:
BOODLIED Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit H4 9003 Hi-Lo Beam Super Bright COB Chips 28W 2800LM 6500K For Yamaha,Honda Xenon White.1-Pack. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KTXL7FW/
Last edited by tenders on Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Re: Modification Question: What should I do to my Eclipse?

Post by Dooglas »

coolrays wrote:So my question for you all is what would you do to this Buddy? Any constructive criticism would be very appreciated. I know, I know, "Just ride it, stupid!"
I'd say you are on the right track here. :wink:

Actually, we have a Buddy 125 we have owned for a dozen years. It is a great little performer and we use it and a Buddy Kick for all kinds of around town and on the road uses. We ride them to the weekend Farmer's Markets, we take them camping, we go for rides in the neighborhoods and on quiet rural roads, we run errands, go out for coffee, etc, etc, etc.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My so-called "daytime running lights" are my turn signals, just as the factory intended.:)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

babblefish wrote:My so-called "daytime running lights" are my turn signals, just as the factory intended.:)
I guess they're disabled on my Eclipse because of the ones under the handlebars? It'd be nice to have them do... something!
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

coolrays wrote:Bought this a few years ago, didn't ride it too much, and recently thought about selling it. Pulled it out to clean 'er up and take some photos, took it for a spin and decided to hang on to it. 2017 with only 450 miles. Never been wrecked or dropped.

I've got a lot of time because of the current pandemic, and I am looking for some simple mods to do in my spare time. The only mod I've done was the back luggage rack.

Any constructive criticism would be very appreciated. I know, I know, "Just ride it, stupid!" (I plan on it now that Summer is here and I plan on keeping it.)

Thanks in advance.

It has a definite Blackjack look to it. Very nice. I would swap out the stock muffler for a chrome Prima performance muffler in addition to the windsheld and top case suggestions already made.

Bill in Seattle
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro red
'86 tg50 Honda Gyro red
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

skipper20 wrote:
coolrays wrote:Bought this a few years ago, didn't ride it too much, and recently thought about selling it. Pulled it out to clean 'er up and take some photos, took it for a spin and decided to hang on to it. 2017 with only 450 miles. Never been wrecked or dropped.

Thanks in advance.

It has a definite Blackjack look to it. Very nice. I would swap out the stock muffler for a chrome Prima performance muffler in addition to the windsheld and top case suggestions already made.

Bill in Seattle
'84 nn50 Honda Gyro red
'86 tg50 Honda Gyro red
Ohhhh, a chrome muffler would really pop!

Are you referring to this one?
https://www.scooterdynasty.com/exhaustp ... ooter.aspx

Thanks!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

coolrays wrote:
babblefish wrote:My so-called "daytime running lights" are my turn signals, just as the factory intended.:)
I guess they're disabled on my Eclipse because of the ones under the handlebars? It'd be nice to have them do... something!
The under handlebar signals are added due to US DOT regulations as the ones built into the front of the scooter are not far enough apart. Hence they’re known as ‘dead lights’ here....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

KABarash wrote:
coolrays wrote:
The under handlebar signals are added due to US DOT regulations as the ones built into the front of the scooter are not far enough apart. Hence they’re known as ‘dead lights’ here....
I bought my Buddy here and it came with the turnsignals in the factory location with no indication that it's had anything else. I have no idea how that happened but I'm glad it did. That being said, I don't think it's very difficult to move the turnsignal function from under the handlebars to their proper location. I believe the wiring/connections are still there under the front cover. The only challenge I can think of is where to buy the turnsignal light fixtures that are suppose to be there.
tenders

Post by tenders »

You'll be shocked: the bulbs are already installed. It's trivial to parallel the wires of the handlebar turn signals so both bulbs flash. But many have found it more useful to increase visibility by installing bright white LEDs as "deadlights" rather than to use them as turn signals. The VooDoo kit that I have is a bit of both; the lights are white but they also flash with the handlebar turn signals.

You should bear in mind that if you don't have DOT-legal turn signals, you can be ticketed and, if you're involved in an accident, found negligent and abandoned by your insurance company. How often that actually happens, I do not know. In my state scooters that require inspection (above 50cc) will not pass the required annual inspection without DOT-legal signals.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

tenders wrote:You'll be shocked: the bulbs are already installed. It's trivial to parallel the wires of the handlebar turn signals so both bulbs flash. But many have found it more useful to increase visibility by installing bright white LEDs as "deadlights" rather than to use them as turn signals. The VooDoo kit that I have is a bit of both; the lights are white but they also flash with the handlebar turn signals.

You should bear in mind that if you don't have DOT-legal turn signals, you can be ticketed and, if you're involved in an accident, found negligent and abandoned by your insurance company. How often that actually happens, I do not know. In my state scooters that require inspection (above 50cc) will not pass the required annual inspection without DOT-legal signals.
But as far as I can tell my Buddy came from the dealer in SF that way...
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i've been wanting to do some non-performance mods to mine as well but i really haven't seen anything that i really want to do...i bought mine used with a rear rack, rear crash bar and top case...so far all i've done it remove the top case, remove the stock mickey mouse ear mirrors and put on bar end mirrors, install the dead light blinker adapters, pick up a bluetooth speaker for my front pocket and that's about it...i don't want a windshield...i may add a milk crate on the back, a brighter headlight bulb and thought about maybe an air horn...i'm not too concerned with go-fast mods cause if i want to go faster i'll sell it and pick up a bigger scooter or motorcycle instead of making this one less reliable
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

Point37 wrote:i've been wanting to do some non-performance mods to mine as well but i really haven't seen anything that i really want to do...i bought mine used with a rear rack, rear crash bar and top case...so far all i've done it remove the top case, remove the stock mickey mouse ear mirrors and put on bar end mirrors, install the dead light blinker adapters, pick up a bluetooth speaker for my front pocket and that's about it...i don't want a windshield...i may add a milk crate on the back, a brighter headlight bulb and thought about maybe an air horn...i'm not too concerned with go-fast mods cause if i want to go faster i'll sell it and pick up a bigger scooter or motorcycle instead of making this one less reliable
I'm kind of in the same boat. There's nothing that I 'need' to do to the Buddy, but there are a few things I'd like to do, or have done.

• Rear Rack - Done
• De-reflector - Done

• Front Rack - On Order
• LED running lights and wiring - Pending Order
• LED Headlight - Currently talking to babblefish about it. His looks good!
• 'Stock' (Non-low-profile) seat - On my Wishlist
• Chrome exhaust - Maybe? May defeat the 'Blackout' look.

I don't really want a windshield either. If they made a super lo profile windshield that was more of a cosmetic thing rather than a useful thing I may consider it, but I wear a full-face shield helmet and don't really like the way the tall windshields look.

My Eclipse already came with the 'upgraded' mirrors (I'm not a fan of the round ones either) so there's that. I like the mirrors I have.

Grips are fine. Levers are fine.

So that's about where I'm at!
tenders

Post by tenders »

babblefish wrote: But as far as I can tell my Buddy came from the dealer in SF that way...
The only explanation I can come up with is that you are a rambunctious urban hipster with a reckless disregard for authority, riding a souped-up whip on the raw edge of the law.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

tenders wrote:
babblefish wrote: But as far as I can tell my Buddy came from the dealer in SF that way...
The only explanation I can come up with is that you are a rambunctious urban hipster with a reckless disregard for authority, riding a souped-up whip on the raw edge of the law.
Nope, just an old man who doesn't give a flip anymore...:)
aurelia

Post by aurelia »

If you are interested, you can sticker it and put nice pair of grip covers
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

How about a custom seat cover from Cheeky Seats?

https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... e=lookbook
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I'd do a 161 kit, ported big valve head, camshaft but I'm a scosh biased
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

coolrays wrote:
Point37 wrote:i've been wanting to do some non-performance mods to mine as well but i really haven't seen anything that i really want to do...i bought mine used with a rear rack, rear crash bar and top case...so far all i've done it remove the top case, remove the stock mickey mouse ear mirrors and put on bar end mirrors, install the dead light blinker adapters, pick up a bluetooth speaker for my front pocket and that's about it...i don't want a windshield...i may add a milk crate on the back, a brighter headlight bulb and thought about maybe an air horn...i'm not too concerned with go-fast mods cause if i want to go faster i'll sell it and pick up a bigger scooter or motorcycle instead of making this one less reliable
I'm kind of in the same boat. There's nothing that I 'need' to do to the Buddy, but there are a few things I'd like to do, or have done.

• Rear Rack - Done
• De-reflector - Done

• Front Rack - On Order
• LED running lights and wiring - Pending Order
• LED Headlight - Currently talking to babblefish about it. His looks good!
• 'Stock' (Non-low-profile) seat - On my Wishlist
• Chrome exhaust - Maybe? May defeat the 'Blackout' look.

I don't really want a windshield either. If they made a super lo profile windshield that was more of a cosmetic thing rather than a useful thing I may consider it, but I wear a full-face shield helmet and don't really like the way the tall windshields look.

My Eclipse already came with the 'upgraded' mirrors (I'm not a fan of the round ones either) so there's that. I like the mirrors I have.

Grips are fine. Levers are fine.

So that's about where I'm at!
i wish they made a larger/better rear rack that could support more weight...even if it had to tie into the rear crash bars...i realize that it throws off the balance but i'd like to put stuff back there without worrying about cracking the frame...the 11lb capacity of the prima rack is weaksauce

https://www.scooterworks.com/Assets/PDF/RRB1-C.pdf
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Point37 wrote:i wish they made a larger/better rear rack that could support more weight...even if it had to tie into the rear crash bars...i realize that it throws off the balance but i'd like to put stuff back there without worrying about cracking the frame...the 11lb capacity of the prima rack is weaksauce

https://www.scooterworks.com/Assets/PDF/RRB1-C.pdf
The rack on my Buddy broke a while back because I kept putting a lot of heavy stuff in my topcase. The metal cross brace, the one with the mounting hole in the middle, snapped off. I was riding one day when I heard a pop then the sound of metal hitting the ground. Repaired it by welding in a piece of 1/4" x 1" steel bar stock in place of the original piece then painted the rack with many coats of Rustoleum aluminum color and many coats of clear. I baked the rack in the oven for about an hour to really set the paint. It's been about a year now and there's no sign of fatigue and the paint still looks new.