Fitting aftermarket exhaust for Buddy 50...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Footbag

Fitting aftermarket exhaust for Buddy 50...

Post by Footbag »

I am planning on putting an aftermarket exhaust on my brand new Buddy 50cc. I heard that it’s slightly different then the typical Minerelli horizontal mounting, but easy to modify to fit. Has anyone done this?

I’m wondering how much modification is necessary. It sounds like I only have to drill some new holes, but figured someone hwre must’ve done it before.

Thanks in advance.
Jberkhoudt84

Post by Jberkhoudt84 »

What kind of exhaust are you trying to put on? I put on a Yasuni Z with silencer but also replaced the cylinder. It came with a few different brackets which fit for the most part - had to do a little moving around.
Jberkhoudt84

Post by Jberkhoudt84 »

pic of installed exhaust on buddy 50cc
Attachments
IMG_0194.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg (132.17 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

Jberkhoudt84 wrote:What kind of exhaust are you trying to put on? I put on a Yasuni Z with silencer but also replaced the cylinder. It came with a few different brackets which fit for the most part - had to do a little moving around.
I will be replacing the cylinder before I get the exhaust. Malossi 70cc on its way.

I like the look (performance) of the Yasuni C16. Its currently out of stock, but getting notified when it’s back. That’s the way I’m leaning.

Edit: Hmmm. Looking at optimal rpm, the Z might be a better way to go. It also looks like you were able to keep the center stand. Interesting. What kind of performance do you get from that?

Thanks for the pic!
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

For anyone going through this...

I got the Yasuni R exhaust. The bracket mount holes had to be ellngated. A drill and dremel took care of it. Exhaust 90% installed. Dodging thunderstorms as I install the muffler.

Will report performance gains when the rain stops and I get it dialed in(jetted).
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

This exhaust is really going to increase my acceleration and top end, but I need stronger clutch springs.

My clutch currently engages at 4500RPM and the Malossi 70cc + Yasuni R exhaust just don't make power there. It seems like the power kicks in at around 6000RPM. So I have some new clutch springs on order. Otherwise, the scoot lags for the first 30 feet before the power can kick in. If I'm on a decent incline, it's likely the scoot won't be able to take off.

When I did a test ride, the scoot was able to easily hit 55mph indicated on a slight incline. I'm thinking it's going to be hitting about 50-55MPH GPS at 8500RPM. But, I don't want to do a ton of testing until I get the clutch springs. I'm not confident in my jetting at the moment and definitely don't want to damage the motor.

It should be all sorted next week. I"ll update the thread then.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

What did you upjet to? And/or bigger carb and what jetting? If you still on the stock carb and jets with a Malossi 70cc (cast or aluminum) prepare for a seize! Just putting that out there.....
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

sc00ter wrote:What did you upjet to? And/or bigger carb and what jetting? If you still on the stock carb and jets with a Malossi 70cc (cast or aluminum) prepare for a seize! Just putting that out there.....
When I installed the 70cc BBK, I upjetted to an 88 from the stock 75. The proper range for me was about 85 to 88.

After installing the exhaust, I tried a 94 jet, then a 92, then a 90, then an 88 and then back to the 85. The 85 is too lean on WOT, but good from 1/4 to 1/2. The 88 is good WOT, but too rich form 1/4 to 1/2 throtle.

Since the needle isn't adjustable, I'm kind of stuck until I get a new carb. I'm looking at a Dellorto 17.5 PHVA. I want to keep the stock airbox and avoid a pod filter, but due to the configuration, I'd either need to fashion some sort of way to get to the airbox from the carb. It'll probably be easier to go with a strait intake and run a hose to the airbox. Even eaiser would be to go to a pod filter, but I don't like how they respond to changes in temp.

It was weird that I had to drop back to an 88-85 jet with the new exhaust, but what I think is happening is that the air box is so restrictive it's causing more vacuum and atomizing more gas in the carb. Unfortunately for me, the ratio of atomization at throttle positions isn't consistent. Thus my need to change the needle position. Since it's not adjustable, a new carb is the solution.

If I baby rich 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, and open it up, my top speed is going to be around 50MPH GPS(57 indicated) I got it up to 47MPH GPS on my jetting test runs which are on a 2.5% uphill grade.
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

So... I removed the snorkel from the airbox. It did favorably balance the air/fuel ratio at different throttle positions. I was also able to upjet to a 92 jet and hit 51MPH on my slight uphill jetting run.

I'm pretty sure this is a 55MPH+ scoot at the moment, but need to confirm on some strait flats. I don't have many of those around me.

55MPh was basically my goal, so I'm pretty happy with the performance. The only little nitpicking I can do is I may need a slightly faster downshift. Maybe a stronger contraspring. When on rolling hills, it doesn't always hit the acceleration it does from a standstill.

I also have some clutch springs that I planned on adding, but not in a huge rush. Acceleration is pretty darn good. Not looking to do wheelies.