Is my Buddy 170 able to...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ronnie421

Is my Buddy 170 able to...

Post by ronnie421 »

Hello, All. I am in the process of purchasing a Buddy 170i, 2016 model with only a little over 300 miles on it. I will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. When a friend of mine learned of my purchase, he quickly told me that he has always wanted to do long ride and been wanting a riding partner. We both live in Corpus Christi, Tx. He asked if I would be willing to ride out to Aspen with him, next summer. I must admit that that sounds like a hell of an idea to me, too. But I'm curious. Will I have enough bike? Will my 170 be able to handle the climbs and winding roads in Colorado? He has a Kymco 200. Does this sound doable? Any thoughts?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Several people have run Buddys in the Scooter Cannonball http://scootercannonballrun.com/.
Many of those have finished. Some of the roads you won't be fast. but your Buddy should make it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ronnie421

Post by ronnie421 »

Syd wrote:Several people have run Buddys in the Scooter Cannonball http://scootercannonballrun.com/.
Many of those have finished. Some of the roads you won't be fast. but your Buddy should make it.
Thank you, Friend. I will definitely check it out! And thanks for the confidence.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

With the right planning and funds, anything is possible. I watched an Amazon video last month about a bunch of middle age guys riding Zuma 125s from Florida to Washington State. A couple, Mike and Kari, rode two-up on a 50cc Yamaha C3 3,000 miles in 11 days coast to coast across Canada. Anything is possible. I think it sounds like a blast. Do it!
ronnie421

Post by ronnie421 »

DeeDee wrote:With the right planning and funds, anything is possible. I watched an Amazon video last month about a bunch of middle age guys riding Zuma 125s from Florida to Washington State. A couple, Mike and Kari, rode two-up on a 50cc Yamaha C3 3,000 miles in 11 days coast to coast across Canada. Anything is possible. I think it sounds like a blast. Do it!
3,000 miles in 11 days. Wow. That's crazy. But hey, if they can do it on a 50cc riding two up, then It's starting to sound more and more like maybe I will have enough bike to make it. I may start getting excited here pretty soon!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The main problems people running the Cannonball on a Buddy have had are a stator and a crank failure running WFO through the desert however Buddys have finished.

Last Cannonball I ran was 2016 on a 67 Vespa GT, 3,700 miles in 11 days. Oldest scooter to finish every leg.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ronnie421

Post by ronnie421 »

BuddyRaton wrote:The main problems people running the Cannonball on a Buddy have had are a stator and a crank failure running WFO through the desert however Buddys have finished.

Last Cannonball I ran was 2016 on a 67 Vespa GT, 3,700 miles in 11 days. Oldest scooter to finish every leg.
I kinda don't want to sound like I'm still wet behind the ears in the scooter world, (but I kinda am)... What is WFO?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Certainly there are those who have ridden a Buddy long distances. The Buddy is a capable scooter. That is not the same thing as saying that a Buddy is a good choice for long distance touring. If a long distance touring scooter is what you want, consider a bit larger displacement and liquid cooling. A low mileage Vespa GT200 is a great choice for long distance riding at a reasonable price, as an example.

(and I suppose WFO is intended to mean "wound flat out"; the usual scooter term is WOT, "wide open throttle")
ronnie421

Post by ronnie421 »

Dooglas wrote:Certainly there are those who have ridden a Buddy long distances. The Buddy is a capable scooter. That is not the same thing as saying that a Buddy is a good choice for long distance touring. If a long distance touring scooter is what you want, consider a bit larger displacement and liquid cooling. A low mileage Vespa GT200 is a great choice for long distance riding at a reasonable price, as an example.

(and I suppose WFO is intended to mean "wound flat out"; the usual scooter term is WOT, "wide open throttle")
Ahhhh. Gotcha. Now I know. Ok. I'm not wet behind the ears anymore! LOL. Maybe one day I'll purchase a larger scooter. I bought this one because it was too good of a deal. I'll probably never find another 170 with 300 miles on it for under 1,000 dollars. I may be wrong but I couldn't take the chance that someone would walk into the dealer and take it from me. The owner of the dealer said that they had just put it on the floor after lunch time the day before. I got there about an hour after opening the next day.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Dooglas wrote: (and I suppose WFO is intended to mean "wound flat out"; the usual scooter term is WOT, "wide open throttle")
I've always taken "WFO" to mean "Wide Fxxxing Open".
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ronnie421 wrote: Maybe one day I'll purchase a larger scooter. I bought this one because it was too good of a deal. I'll probably never find another 170 with 300 miles on it for under 1,000 dollars. I may be wrong but I couldn't take the chance that someone would walk into the dealer and take it from me. The owner of the dealer said that they had just put it on the floor after lunch time the day before. I got there about an hour after opening the next day.
Don't get me wrong. The Buddy is a great scooter and I am sure you will enjoy it. I have owned and ridden one for years. I have also owned and ridden two GTS Vespas and a BV350 in the past few years. If my primary purpose was touring or other longer rides, my choice would lean in that direction.