130/70-10 tires don't always fit.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootERIK

130/70-10 tires don't always fit.

Post by scootERIK »

I recently installed a Kenda K413 130/70-10 rear tire and found out that it doesn't fit. I noticed after riding it that the tire was rubbing on the left side of the fender, the cvt side. On the centerstand it was fine but while riding it would rub. I never felt anything weird. I tried different air pressures in the tire to see if that would help, but it didn't. If I were to guess I think it was rubbing while taking corners, possibly corners with bumps. I did run a Michelin S1 130/70-10 a few years ago without rubbing, but that was on a different Buddy.

Anyways, I figured I should post this as a heads up to other Buddy owners who are thinking about going with the 130/70-10.

The wear on the tire from rubbing, you can also see the fender turning white from the rubbing -

The wear inside the fender -

In this picture you can see that it was even rubbing against the brake line(sorry it's blurry.) -
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Shinko 425, which looks like a Michelin S1 clone, fit on my Buddy 125 but I wouldn't do it again. A 110/80 mounted easily on the front rim but I couldn't get a 130/70 to inflate/seal on the rear - tried remounting it a couple times, used ratchet strap etc to no avail. Finally took it to a Les Schwab tire place, they must have spent at least a half hour before getting the bead to seal.
In the future I would just go with the 110/80 like on the front.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Use bead setting soap to get the tire to seal. Works great every time. I had a 130 on the rear of my 170i. I didn't like it. It wore out real quick, and the handling was a bit strange.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

DeeDee wrote: I didn't like it. It wore out real quick, and the handling was a bit strange.
This tire wore out pretty quick but I think a lot of that has to do with it being a Kenda K413*. This one was past the wear bars by 2,500. When I used the Michelin S1 I think I got around 4,500 out of it.

As for the handling I completely agree. The 130/70-10 is good for straight line rides on poor quality roads, it really seems to soak up small to medium bumps. But once it got leaned over it got twitchy. It often felt like it was starting to slide.

I am now back on 3.50-10 tires and they feel so much better.

*If anyone is looking for a good quality cheap tire I recommend the Kenda K329. It cost about the same as the K413 but it lasts much longer. I get over 4,000 miles on the K329 versus 2,500 for the K413. The K329 also has good cornering and wet traction.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I'm a big fan of Kenda tires. Great value. They last a long time.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Use this to set your bead: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/xtr ... lsrc=aw.ds

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SPBfeYBuI

It's thick, slimy and reusable. You recoup about 95% each use. It will seal a car tire on a motorcycle rim with 35psi.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 8.20.12 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 8.20.12 AM.png (169.6 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

DeeDee wrote:I'm a big fan of Kenda tires. Great value. They last a long time.
I really want to try out the Kenda Tires Kozmik K6022 3.50-10. It has dual compound rubber, so it is hard rubber in the center and soft rubber on the sides. I believe it is the only dual compound 3.5 tire. Plus, some places have them as cheap as $25 I plan to buy some once they are back in stock.