Helmet brand questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SteMer

Helmet brand questions

Post by SteMer »

Looking at new helmets and have some questions. And I'm already aware of the discussion about full-face vs. open-face. Let me also say up front that I'm not interested in a discussion on Shoei vs. Suomy - I'm looking more in the "under $200" range because of budget restrictions. My questions are more about the fitting and upsides/downsides of some different brands I'm interested in.

Does anyone have any input on Nolan helmets? How do they fit compared to HJC or Bell helmets? Nolan has some interesting looking open-face helmets that I'd love to try check out up close. I'm really curious how effective the sun shade on the N42 is. (www.nolan.it)

Also curious about the Z1R Metro helmet (www.z1rhelmets.com). Anyone have feedback on that?

In a full-face, I was trying on the HJC CL-15 and CL-SP today. Seems like a pretty good helment. Pros and cons with these models?

Also looking at Bell - like the Mag-8 and Sprint. Seem to be pretty decent although color selection is bland.

Are there some other brands/helmets within "under $200" range that you would highly recommend?

Thanks for any feedback!
Scootin_in_MS

Re: Helmet brand questions

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

SteMer wrote:In a full-face, I was trying on the HJC CL-15 and CL-SP today. Seems like a pretty good helment. Pros and cons with these models?
I have the HJC CL-15 Session with Green flames. Only good things to say. No complaints. Fits great for my round head. Goes over my glasses with no problems. Plenty of ventilation. Padding is removable for freshening-up. Visor is easy to relace if you get a scratch or want to get a tinted visor. Easy to fit a scarf or muffler underneath in the winter to keep your chin from freezing off. Cool colors.

Jody
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

HJC and Nolan are both reputable brands. You can be sure that what you're getting is pretty good quality. I have an HJC CL-22 now but am also looking at the Nolan N-42 because I have yet to find a full face that fits me and want at least a face shield. I don't think the N-42 offers much sun protection (unless you get a tinted shield), but you should be able to wear sunglesses under the visor.

You can find some user reviews of helmets and other equipment here: http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/
James Tate

Nolan helmet

Post by James Tate »

I have a Nolan N102 modular that I bought on Amazon for a shade under $200 (a seller named Power Sports Accessory Warehouse). The fit is very comfortable and the helmet feels solid and well designed. I also have a Bell full-face, and tried on most of the brands in town. Personally, the Nolan is the most reliable feeling modular I have encountered, including HJC, but I haven't seen any research to support this impression. I will say the chin bar is smooth opening and has good redundancy in the release mechanism. Nolan and PSAW both have great customer service as well, but you may have to roll the dice on fit if you order online.
ctpaddler2000

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

You might want to also look at Scorpion helmets. I just bought one and am pleased with it. http://www.scorpionusa.com/ My advice it to not buy a helmet that you have to tried on and am 100% happy with the fit. Go by fit and don't pay attention to price.

Rob
AN400K6
buddylover

hjc

Post by buddylover »

I have the HJC CL12 (still produced? I don't know.) and I love it. Cheap, comfortable...what more can I ask for?

My wife has a scorpion and she loves it and tried on much more expensive helmets as well. The scorpion has a very easy method for changing the shield, much better than the HJC. But that's an extra bonus, not THE selling point.

I recommend both, but as mentioned above, try on many before you decide.

DO NOT order online unless you know exactly the size and model you want. Don't roll the dice.

Good luck.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I don't have much experience with helmets, but...

I started with a Vega Summit II that was given to me. It was a little big, but free until I could try on some other brands and find out what fits better. It turns out I picked up a new helmet just in time, because the chin piece of the Vega broke at the joint.

Anyhow, I ended up with an HJC CL-MAX which I got from MotoEmporium for under $140 (it seems I caught a sale). The fit is great and comfortable. It does fog up a little bit during the cool morning rides, but all I have to do is crack open the shield a bit. I don't know how normal this is. It's not noticably loud (it's quieter than the Vega was). In a nutshell, I'm happy with my HJC.

FWIW, my father bought about 4 helmets before he finally tried and purchased a Nolan. He says it's the only one that feels "just right".
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Look for DOT and/or SNELL labels; then whatever fits your melon.
Different brands are different shapes, so you need to try it on.
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

you should consider going into a motorcycle dealer to try a few on and decide what fits best first. We carry both the HJC line as well as a nice full face helmet from AXO, both are under $200 and both seem to be of comparable quality. IMPO the advantage to the HJC brand will be the strong level of availability of shields and various parts like pivot pieces etc...from just about any m/c dealer out there. #1 selling brand in N.America. The downside to a lower priced helmet like those vs Shoei, Arai, Suomy etc is that the fit of the helmet will loosen up much quicker with regular use compared to the higher priced brands.
Best advice, do not buy without trying them on first !
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Thanks for all the quick feedback. Keep it coming!

Dave R - Yes, I definitely don't want to buy without trying it on first. I've already been hitting the local motorcycle stores but most only carry HJC, Bell and the more expensive brands. And that's part of my problem - I don't have much to compare them to since that's all I'm really finding. Is HJC #1 because it's just that good of a helmet for the price or is it heavily marketed to be the #1 helment in N. America?

Anybody in the Cincinnati area know where they sell Nolan helmets? Would love to compare them against HJC.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SteMer wrote:Thanks for all the quick feedback. Keep it coming!

Dave R - Yes, I definitely don't want to buy without trying it on first. I've already been hitting the local motorcycle stores but most only carry HJC, Bell and the more expensive brands. And that's part of my problem - I don't have much to compare them to since that's all I'm really finding. Is HJC #1 because it's just that good of a helmet for the price or is it heavily marketed to be the #1 helment in N. America?

Anybody in the Cincinnati area know where they sell Nolan helmets? Would love to compare them against HJC.
I'm having to systematically visit every motorcycle and gear shop in the area in search of the right helmet. And yeah, everyone seems to have the HJCs. I'm even considering getting an "interim" helmet with a face shield to replace my half helmet which I continue searching for a full face.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

That's exactly what I'm doing! I've been borrowing a shorty helmet but would love to move up to something with a face shield and eventually to a full face once I find "the one." Good to know I'm not alone.
James Tate

Post by James Tate »

I don't know anyone in Cincinnati that sells Nolan helmets, but a bunch of local guys have ordered the modulars online. Check the XYL page and maybe someone has a local source, or show up at a meeting and try somebody's on. I personally measured my head, checked the return policy, and took my chances. It is tough to find a helmet that fits just right, and we only have so many brands to choose from around here. If it doesn't pass the comfort and roll-off test you can always send it back. There may also be some shops on the west-side of town with more choices. Again, shoot a message to the XYLs and see what you find out.
http://www.tenyearlates.com/ver2/
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Good call, James. The XYL forum was my next move. Hope to catch up with you soon. Wed. nights are usually busy for me as are Sunday mornings - the times when the XYLs tend to gather. One of these days though...
ka24desc

Post by ka24desc »

Have fun in life, doing whatever you do whenever you do it.
MNBuddy

ZOX Helmets??

Post by MNBuddy »

What does anyone know about ZOX helmets. Good or bad. I want to make sure I end up with a good protective helmet.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: ZOX Helmets??

Post by ericalm »

MNBuddy wrote:What does anyone know about ZOX helmets. Good or bad. I want to make sure I end up with a good protective helmet.
They just started importing these to the US this year. I've seen them (online) and they LOOK good, but I'm a bit suspicious of low-price helmets unless I can fiind reliable reviews for them. So far, I haven't found any for the Zox helmets.
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

I own a ZOX helmet. It fits quite comfortably and they sell different cheek padding online if you want more leeway. It came highly recommended from my dealer, and was only about $140. Face sheild has a quick release and is easy to use. One of the few helmet brands (from what I have been told) that comes with a protective carrier bag. Fits nicely under the buddy seat even with the bag.
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I own two of the Z1R helmets and have really liked them. I bought an open face Metro when I first bought my Buddy and I just bought a second one with a full face pull-down visor for colder weather driving.
They block wind noise really well and are really comfortable to wear. My Metro was only around $60.00 and my new one was around $85.00. I highly recommend them for the price and durability.
It's Scooter-rific!!!