Lost low end power 2017 Roughhouse.

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Feral_Sparky

Lost low end power 2017 Roughhouse.

Post by Feral_Sparky »

So I went for a nice 60 mile ride yesterday and other than finding out I have a gearbox seal leaking on the last 5-7 miles of the ride I lost pretty much all my low end power.

Give it throttle and she accelerates as slow as a worn out Chinese 4 stroke.

Now I took the gearbox apart to make sure the gears were not damaged and they are all good. Everything moves smooth, no excess play or noise in anything and it didnt loose all of its grease.

After putting it all back together and refilling with new fluid I rode it for a few minutes and until it warmed up it ran like normal then quickly lost its take off power.
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Took it to a Genuine Dealer for service. They replaced the seal on the gearbox fixing the leak and they say they cleaned the carb for the acceleration problem.

Got it home this afternoon and its still doing the same thing it did before. Starts out great but after it warm's up it bogs down.

A chinese 4 stroke scooter beat me off the line and rode away like I was sitting at the light.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Sounds like something is changing shape once it heats up. I'd ask them to do a compression test with the bike cold, and then another with the engine up to temperature. You're looking for a compression in the 135+ range. If that checks out. In the meantime, take the bypass bolt out of your exhaust (the bolt sticking out of the pipe itself, before the silencer). It'll be loud, but it'll rule out a pipe that's partially plugged.

While we're here, what oil are you running in the bike? Any modifications? How many miles on the bike?
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Stanza wrote:Sounds like something is changing shape once it heats up. I'd ask them to do a compression test with the bike cold, and then another with the engine up to temperature. You're looking for a compression in the 135+ range. If that checks out. In the meantime, take the bypass bolt out of your exhaust (the bolt sticking out of the pipe itself, before the silencer). It'll be loud, but it'll rule out a pipe that's partially plugged.

While we're here, what oil are you running in the bike? Any modifications? How many miles on the bike?
Bone stock, and using Spectro Golden. I'll take the bolt out tomorrow and ride it around to see how it behaves. The speedo cable was broken when I got it but after I replaced it, it reads about 900 miles. Its been sitting for a long time with a college student who bought it new.
Feral_Sparky

Post by Feral_Sparky »

Decided to do it tonight. And while it was louder it did greatly improve acceleration when warmed up.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Sounds like you may be needing to swap out that pipe then, sounds like it's in the way to being plugged up. Fwiw, spectro golden is FC rated, which means it lubricates just fine, but burns a little on the messy side. No problem if you are running a sport pipe with no Catalytic convertor, but if you are going to replace with another stock pipe, maybe consider something FD rated for that cleaner burn.