Buddy 50 new ignition switch now no spark

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mathblaster610

Buddy 50 new ignition switch now no spark

Post by Mathblaster610 »

Changed the ignition switch on my 2008 buddy 50 since i lost the keys. This might be my issue. Since then it won’t start. All electrical except the headlight work (brake light turns hazards horn) The bulb is fine but no voltage to the connector.

Now I have no spark.

Changed the spark plug, coil wire with pickup, and the cdi with a Chinese one that says works for buddy. (Lights up when cranking) pulled the stator and cleaned the sensor. Still no spark.

I asked around to a guy that knows them better than me and he said since I changed the ignition switch the key may not be programmed to the cdi causing no spark. Has anybody had an issue or a fix for this?

Last thing I was going to change was the stator and pickup, but can’t seem to find one for my model with the same connector. Also don’t want to be just throwing parts at it that it doesn’t need. Everything seems to be in order and I can’t figure it out. Please help.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

None of the Genuine scooters use a programmed key so that's not it.
I would say double check the ignition switch electrical connections including checking that none of the crimped on connectors have cut completely through the insulation and severed the wires (yes, I've seen that happen).
If that fails, I would suspect a bad ignition switch. Just because it's new doesn't always mean it's good. If you have a multimeter, you can always check for continuity or that there's actually power coming out of the wire(s) that are suppose to have power when the switch is set in the "on" position. That's what I would have done before replacing everything else anyway.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
rol1

Post by rol1 »

The Buddy switch doesn't make the same connections as a gy6 switch. Different colors. 4 wires, 2 separate connections switch on. I tried a gy6 red/black hot on/kill off.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Did you change it for a current generation ignition, or the old style? They changed the wiring in 2012, so if you have a newer one, it won't be compatible.
rol1

Post by rol1 »

Figures, the five manuals I've downloaded don't have the ign setup like my 2015 RH and Buddy. Did they change the fuel guage to?
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

I learned way more than I cared to know about this while attempting to implement the more cost-effective ignition replacement solution on a 2015 Buddy 50. There are four wires on Buddy ignitions, 2012 up:

Red/White stripe
Blue/Black stripe
Orange
Black

Orange is your main switch wire. It carries 12V and has to make a circuit with the Red/White wire in order to for the starter to get main power. When this is connected, your electrical system will work, the starter will crank, but your bike won't turn over. Why?

Because in order for that to happen, the Blue/Black stripe wire and Black wire have to be connected. This continuity tells the CDI "hey, give me spark" and then the Buddy can start. Both have to make a circuit for the bike to kick over.

If you use an older ignition module on a newer budy, it will fit but I don't know if if you will get that secondary continuity necessary to start the bike. You can work around this if you want to use a GY6 or generic ignition (or a toggle switch) by wiring blue/black and black together. But then you can't turn off the bike with the key and have to use the killswitch.

If you're not concerned about theft or are just building up a junker for fun, wire in a couple neat toggle switches and pretend your bike is a dragster. To confuse the bejeezus out of everyone, hide one in the storage pocket and label the other one "radio" or "self destruct". :-)
rol1

Post by rol1 »

Found a few relays around the shop. Used the orange and a new ground to activate the relay to connect the blu/blk to black. Worked on the gy6 ignitions in both the 2015 Buddy and the 2015 Rough House.
Jksneathen

No spark

Post by Jksneathen »

I’ve got a 2008 buddy 50 I’ve been working on as well. Had to replace the ignition switch just like mathblaster due to lost keys and now no spark. Anyone have any luck finding the issue or how to fix it? Can I just tie the wires together if so which ones exactly?
Itsowelll

Re: Buddy 50 new ignition switch now no spark

Post by Itsowelll »

Did anyone figure out the no spark after bypassing/rewiring the ignition?