GMAX 250

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

GMAX 250

Post by Corsair »

Does anyone know if the PGO Gmax is available in Canada? I'd love to get my hands on the 250 engine and throw it into the Blur ;)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GMAX 250

Post by illnoise »

Corsair wrote:Does anyone know if the PGO Gmax is available in Canada? I'd love to get my hands on the 250 engine and throw it into the Blur ;)
The G-Max is greyed out and unclickable on their national page, but some individual dealers list the 250.

I don't think they're switchable, the suspension is totally different on the 250. The 200 would probably be an easy swap though.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

aw man thanks for the heads up! I think the 200 would suit my brother's needs... do you know what the top end on it is? Do you have a link to a Canadian dealer that carries the 200?
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Corsair,
I would think these guys would be able to answer any G-Max questions you might have: www.gmaxriderz.com
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

EP_scoot wrote:Corsair,
I would think these guys would be able to answer any G-Max questions you might have: www.gmaxriderz.com
Chyeah! Thanks for the link

... to bad that the forum is based in Singapore :(
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Yeah, the 250cc motor goes in a scooter with a "traditional" dual shock rear suspension. The 150 & 200 GMax both have the trick monoshock rear suspension that the Blur has.

The 150 GMax is apparently sold under a couple different names with a couple different cylinder head and cylinder configurations. That's why some of the folks on here with certain configurations of the GMax 150 have higher performance than the Blur. They have a motor with a trick 4-valve head design and ceramic coated cylinder, plus performance parts are more widely available in their local markets. Supposedly, Genuine wanted to equip the Blur with the more trick motor, but it was significantly more expensive to the point that it would have about priced the Blur right out of the USA market.

Sigh...
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Who knows,
maybe the Blur will be the Dragster of the USA, going into cult like status.
Probably not, but it would be fun. Having more performance accesories would help, but since it is not sold anymore and there are only 10 of us, there is not enough of a market I suppose.

Hopefully Genuine will bring the 250 in '09 and revive the Blur.

D.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

if anyone gets a lead on where I can get a 200 engine please PM me
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

EP_scoot wrote:Hopefully Genuine will bring the 250 in '09 and revive the Blur.
I agree. I see two issues, though.

First, the 150cc Blur with the 2-valve head was already very spendy for the USA scooter market. I wonder, with the dollar's valuation on the run, if the much more expensive 250 GMax/Blur wouldn't be way too spendy for the USA market.

Second, I wonder if a 250cc scooter would fit Genuine's market strategy. I mean, they've never done anything bigger than a 150 before. I just wonder if a "big" scooter would be a good fit for them and their dealers and customers. I mention this because Honda seems to have pulled out of the 250cc scooter market this year. They were the only Japanese mfg in that segment of the USA scooter market (Kymco is Taiwanese), so maybe now there is an opportunity for the smaller mfgs. I know that SYM is wasting no time trying to gain a toehold on the 250 market. They've already rolled a 250 scooter out to my local dealer which isn't bad looking and they have a 262cc scooter coming called the Citycom that I am looking forward to seeing.

The next two years are going to be very interesting. Especially if the Fed and Uncle Sam can somehow steer our economy clear of a recession, it could be a really interesting time for the USA scooter market.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

John, I hear what you are saying about the 250cc.
I think that is the reason I can see Genuine getting into it. Be that a Blur, 4T Stella or whatever. The reason being that the person getting, say, a Buddy, might want to move up at some point and Genuine would loose that person as they do not have anything after the 150.

If they want to capture that customer within the Genuine line, they need to have a 200 or 250 available. I personally think that a 4T Auto Stella would sell very well. Sure, the die-hards would think it a blasphemy, but most people getting into the scooter scene now could care less. In their eyes it would have the "look" they are going after and the simplicity and cleanliness of a 4 stroke auto.

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

EP_scoot wrote:If they want to capture that customer within the Genuine line, they need to have a 200 or 250 available. I personally think that a 4T Auto Stella would sell very well. Sure, the die-hards would think it a blasphemy, but most people getting into the scooter scene now could care less. In their eyes it would have the "look" they are going after and the simplicity and cleanliness of a 4 stroke auto.
As long as people are paying $5000 for PXes and GTSes, there's a market for a automatic four-stroke Stella, sure.

I heard some more gossip that the automatic Stella is in the works, but it's still early in the process, and it might not bear much resemblance, engineering-wise, to the current Stella.

Judging from that tip, I have a feeling (jumping from rumor to speculation here) that they're going to modify the stella frame (or develop a new frame) and wedge some sort of 4-stroke automatic engine in there, rather than modifying a PX-style engine to be automatic, which would be very difficult. If that's what it ends up being (basically the Vespa version of the more-or-less abandoned CMSI "L" series Lambretta, I just think it'd be so far removed from a PX that it would be totally uninteresting to me (see also:Bajaj Legend) and also too expensive for what it is, but there'd definitely be a market for it.

Bryan.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

EP_scoot wrote:John, I hear what you are saying about the 250cc.
I think that is the reason I can see Genuine getting into it. Be that a Blur, 4T Stella or whatever. The reason being that the person getting, say, a Buddy, might want to move up at some point and Genuine would loose that person as they do not have anything after the 150.

If they want to capture that customer within the Genuine line, they need to have a 200 or 250 available. I personally think that a 4T Auto Stella would sell very well. Sure, the die-hards would think it a blasphemy, but most people getting into the scooter scene now could care less. In their eyes it would have the "look" they are going after and the simplicity and cleanliness of a 4 stroke auto.
Maybe a well placed comment on a board that Genuine reads would help. :wink: