NCY Buddy Brake Disc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

NCY Buddy Brake Disc

Post by Corsair »

Just saw an ad in Scooter World (Feb/March Issue) for the ncy Buddy brake disc retailing for $89.99. I don't have a pic to post yet but it looks nice :)
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Just the rotor or caliper as well?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I took a pic:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

DO WANT DISC BRAKE PLZ.

It looks amazing! I see they also are using a nyc fork?
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

it's about time some other companies starting making some aftermarket parts for the buddy, it seems to be popular enough.

i think someone on this forum has a disc that looks like that on their buddy.
but i already have a disc brake in the front don't all the buddys?
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

robonz23 wrote: i think someone on this forum has a disc that looks like that on their buddy.

It was aruntoo's rotor but it's not the same
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

This disc brake looks to be a performance part and semi for looks. Are there any other parts listed for the buddy in the catalog? The caliper and form looks very different than a stock buddy's.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

robonz23 wrote:it's about time some other companies starting making some aftermarket parts for the buddy, it seems to be popular enough.
Well, NCY is working directly with Genuine, and Genuine is their US importer, so it's not really "Some other companies."

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

how many companies is genuine associated with

lml
pgo
ncy
scooterworks
prima
anyone else?
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

robonz23 wrote:how many companies is genuine associated with

lml
pgo
ncy
scooterworks
prima
anyone else?
Well, their wholesale arm used to be called "Tutti Ricambi" but I think they recently changed it back to scooterworks.

Scooterworks was started up in the early 90s, I think, by Philip McCaleb, and I think he had at least one partner who was not really involved in the day-to-day stuff. They bought the Chicago Vespa dealer (who of course hadn't had a new Vespa to sell for years) in 94 or 95, right before I bought my first scooter, and around that time, McCaleb was friendly with the Agnelli family who owned Fiat and Piaggio.

This is all hazy, but I guess McC had some handshake (and maybe even paper) deals with one of the younger Agnellis that when Vespa came back to the US, Scooterworks would be their distributor. Then the Agnelli son died, and shortly later Piaggio was sold, and decided to bring back Piaggio on their own. There was a big legal dispute, I think Vespa sued SW for using the Vespa name, and I think maybe SW countersued them for ignoring his deals with the Agnellis.

Meanwhile, SW was getting bigger and bigger and doing bigger volume via international catalog sales and by supplying more and more shops, and they became the biggest US distributor, supplying most shops with vintage vespa parts and accessories. Tutti Ricambi was their branch for wholesale sales to shops. They started having more and more stuff made just for them, and signing exclusive deals with parts and accessory suppliers.

I imagine McC had it in his head all along that he was going to become and importer and thus was pretty mad about Vespa (obviously) so that's pretty much how Genuine came about, he decided to figure out a way to out-Vespa Vespa. Thus the deal with LML. PGO used to make P-series Vespa clones until 2000 or so, I imagine he met with them when he was looking for someone to make the Stella, and they couldn't do it, but he was impressed and went back to them for his twist-n-gos. Prima is a few years old, it's basically just their brand for parts and accessories. NCY, I think, has been around a while and just have a deal with Scooterworks to help develop and distribute their parts.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Looks like a single pot caliper? for 50's only?
aruntoo

Post by aruntoo »

the rotor shown in the NCY ad is a 220mm considerably bigger than the stock 190mm.

it looks like they will be offering a fork upgrade along with a adapter plate for the caliper. (at least for the 50's) they'll have to change the adapter plate if they plan to use it with the 125 caliper.

another note i'm very familiar with NCY stuff as it's popular for the Honda Ruckus while the stuff is cheap the fitment isn't always that great.

NCY has the capability to make alot of stuff such rims, braces, levers, etc.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

:?: This has probably already been posted before, but is there any other "main stream" scoot that has parts that are interchangeable with the Bud125? I'm sure there's not one that has all parts the same, but there's gotta at least a couple right? Not just brakes, like engine parts & exhausts too?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

KRUSTYburger wrote::?: This has probably already been posted before, but is there any other "main stream" scoot that has parts that are interchangeable with the Bud125? I'm sure there's not one that has all parts the same, but there's gotta at least a couple right? Not just brakes, like engine parts & exhausts too?
Not really, at least engine-wise. A lot of scooters use similar engines across brands (minarelli, vino clones, piaggio engines) but PGO's engines appear to be proprietary to PGO and even the Buddy, Blur, and Rattler/Black Cat/Roughhouse engines are different from each other.

There actually seems to be a decent amount of tuning and body upgrades for PGOs available in asia, but what I've seen online looks like total junk, and it's from small-time shops that I wouldn't even trust to ship it over. MRP has started producing a few things for PGOs, I think, but other than that, you're probably stuck with NCY. Which is good really, If Genuine's involved, I think we'll see a lot more stuff soon, and the quality and price will be pretty good, and they'll be accountable for what they sell.