Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roughouses in Hawaii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
birdmove

2008 SYM HD200,2009 Kymco People 150

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Roughouses in Hawaii Reply with quote

Can a Roughhouse owner confirm that the model is classed as a moped in hawaii?

Last edited by birdmove on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
birdmove

2008 SYM HD200,2009 Kymco People 150

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the title. That should have been, Roughouses in Hawaii. Dam Kindle Fire 7 and its spell check!
eggsalad

Buddy 150 International St. Tropez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawaii statute ยง286-2 Definitions:

"Moped" means a device upon which a person may ride which has two or three wheels in contact with the ground,

(Yes. A Roughhouse 50 has 2 wheels in contact with the ground)

a motor having a maximum power output capability measured at the motor output shaft, in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers standards, of two horsepower (one thousand four hundred ninety-two watts) or less

(Unknown. Genuine Scooter website does not list a horsepower rating for the Roughhouse 50)

and, if it is a combustion engine, a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 3.05 cubic inches (fifty cubic centimeters)

(Yes. The listed engine displacement of a Roughhouse 50 is 49.7 cubic centimeters)

and which will propel the moped, unassisted, on a level surface at a maximum speed no greater than thirty miles per hour;

(Yes. The Roughhouse 50 is factory-equipped with a 30mph speed restrictor)

and a direct or automatic power drive system which requires no clutch or gear shift operation by the moped driver after the drive system is engaged with the power unit.

(Yes. The Roughhouse 50 uses a CVT-type transmission, and has neither clutch nor gear shift controls)
---------------------------
I think it's fairly safe to assume the Roughhouse 50cc engine is under 2 horsepower.

I'm not in Hawaii, and I don't own a Roughhouse, so you may not want to trust my opinion, and I can accept that. But I'd bet a quarter that the State of Hawaii would classify a Roughhouse 50 as a moped.
eggsalad

Buddy 150 International St. Tropez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is... if you're buying a Roughhouse 50 from a dealer, the dealer will probably know if Hawaii considers it to be a moped. And if you're buying a second-hand Roughhouse 50, I would think the person selling it to you would be able to show you the title upon which it is classified as a moped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: