Help! Buddy Service/Repair in Boston

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

drinkingthestars

Help! Buddy Service/Repair in Boston

Post by drinkingthestars »

Since Scooters Go Green went out of business, it's been a tremendous hassle to get work done on my Buddy 170i in the Boston area. I took it to Biker's Outfitter in the spring for warranty work, an inspection and an oil change. From beginning to end--and that was about 6 weeks--it was a nightmare. I will never go back there. I know of two reliable places, Scooter Mutter and Alien Motorsports, but they are far from my house and completely booked. I think the demise of Scooters Go Green has created a situation where demand for service outstrips the supply.

None of the other scooter shops I've called work on Genuine bikes. Is anyone aware of a reputable shop or individual who could work on my Buddy? Right now, I need the tires swapped out and a brake handle replaced, but I'd like to find a place where I could take it for routine service going forward. This shouldn't ne so hard in a major city such as Boston.
Rdrett

Re: Help! Buddy Service/Repair in Boston

Post by Rdrett »

drinkingthestars wrote:Since Scooters Go Green went out of business, it's been a tremendous hassle to get work done on my Buddy 170i in the Boston area. I took it to Biker's Outfitter in the spring for warranty work, an inspection and an oil change. From beginning to end--and that was about 6 weeks--it was a nightmare. I will never go back there. I know of two reliable places, Scooter Mutter and Alien Motorsports, but they are far from my house and completely booked. I think the demise of Scooters Go Green has created a situation where demand for service outstrips the supply.

None of the other scooter shops I've called work on Genuine bikes. Is anyone aware of a reputable shop or individual who could work on my Buddy? Right now, I need the tires swapped out and a brake handle replaced, but I'd like to find a place where I could take it for routine service going forward. This shouldn't ne so hard in a major city such as Boston.
Imagine the trouble I have in Kentucky.
drinkingthestars

It's enough to make you want to learn to work on scooters.
Rdrett

Post by Rdrett »

drinkingthestars wrote:It's enough to make you want to learn to work on scooters.
Luckily I work on my own stuff and refuse to let someone work on my stuff unless it is under warranty then I will let them then go back and fix what they screwed up. I had the Honda dealership fix my Honda Element under warranty and when they got done my Cruze control didn’t work, I had to go back and fix that and something else.
tenders

Post by tenders »

2-wheelers are a little like boats in that they really aren’t turnkey. If you aren’t willing to do some of your own maintenance, they are going to be spending a lot of time in a garage waiting for a mechanic to become available.

A brake lever replacement is a 15 minute job requiring only a screwdriver and mirror adjustment wrenches, which you should already have. One of the great benefits of Buddies is that “genuine� Genuine parts are readily available online - use that benefit! $18 or $20 depending on LH or RH.

https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Lever-Genu ... B071JCV3PJ

Any motorcycle shop can swap tires, and will probably not turn you away if you show up with the scooter and the new tires in hand. The Buddy wheels are not that difficult to remove, especially the front, and the money you spend on the wrenches to get them off yourself to bring the wheels to the motorcycle shop (instead of the whole scooter), you’ll save on the labor for ONE wheel removal.
drinkingthestars

Thank you for your comments. You are right that it would behoove me to pick uo some basic repair skills. I'm an old dog and I probably won't. I do buy my own parts online, though (I have the brake handle), and that saves me a little when I can find someone to do the job. I believe that replacing the brake handle requires removing the entire upper handlebar cover, which I would not attempt.

A nearby motorcycle shop said they wouldn't swap the tires, but the good news is that I did find a guy who works at a local scooter shop to come to my house and do it. He seemed competent, if a little disorganized, and I'm hoping to use him for future work on the scoot. He has his own little side business running and says he can do pretty much anything. He charged about 70% of what the shops around here charge and not having to leave my ride behind for days was a big plus. So fingers crossed this relationship works out.

The bad news: Boston pot lholes. Changing the tire revealed that I have a messed up rim to eventually replace.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Good luck on the mobile mechanic. I also hate working on my own stuff but if needed I'm more than capable of doing pretty much anything. My wife can do most service work but hates doing it as well.

Let us know how it all works out. Someone else in your general area may be interested in using (or avoiding) this mobile mechanic depending on your results.
drinkingthestars

Thanks. I am happy with the work the mechanic did (and very happy with the price) but there were many glitches on the way to getting it done. I expect to call on him again, and if he proves reliable I will post his information.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Try calling Smooth Automotive in Medford and ask to speak to Frank.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/smooth-automotive-medford-2

Back when I lived in Somerville, I used to go to him when he first opened as Smooth Scooters. The reason it is a car shop now is because he had too many problems with people bringing in cheap Chinese or low-quality bikes that were impossible to work on and the clients would treat them as disposable. Even when he became Smooth Automotive, he would still service my Buddy 50 only because he knew I took good care of it.

I can assure you Frank is a completent scooter mechanic even if he is out of the business. He may refuse to service you for the reason I mentioned above, but I would call him and explain that you got his info from a former client with a Buddy 50 back in 2011-2013 when he was known as Smooth Scooters. Stress that you have a high quality Genuine Buddy that is well taken care of and not crap and he might make an exception. Good luck.
drinkingthestars

Thank you! That's an awesome tip.