New Carb and running poorly. Won't idle at all but revs

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

OldNFast

New Carb and running poorly. Won't idle at all but revs

Post by OldNFast »

Good afternoon. I am a new member here. I have a Buddy 125 that sat for a few years (don't judge) and would not start. Cleaned carb to no avail. New OEM carb now and the bike will run but not idle. It will rev with some finessing of the throttle to get it moving and will continue rev when the throttle is held somewhat open (1/3 to 1/2). Let go of the throttle for a second and it dies. I lieu of taking ti to a mechanic, does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the cause? Oh, and usually takes a small shot of starting fluid to get it initially running.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

A few things come to mind: dirty fuel, weak spark, misconnected vacuum lines, incorrect jetting for configuration of scooter (no air box or wrong jets in replacement carb)
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

A few things come to mind: dirty fuel, weak spark, misconnected vacuum lines, incorrect jetting for configuration of scooter (no air box or wrong jets in replacement carb), idle speed too low.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Did you try adjusting the idle speed screw?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

babblefish wrote:Did you try adjusting the idle speed screw?
You beat me to it! I just converted a motorcycle from EFI to carb and had the opposite problem! Idle at 3000 rpm! I kept adjusting the screw and nothing happened. Until I adjusted the idle SPEED instead of the mixture screw. :lol: