White sidewall tires?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BennyBen

White sidewall tires?

Post by BennyBen »

Hi any one has painted the sidewall of the tires? Success ? I want to get the vintage look as much as possible.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I’ve been running these on my Buddy 150 for quite a few years now and been quite happy....

https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Tire ... -P365.aspx
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

The OP has a 50cc so this might be about the only option* - https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Tire ... 13213.aspx

I haven't tried it but some companies do make paint for painting on whitewalls - https://www.rangerpaint.com/products/white-sidewall

*After a quick search it seems like most 90/90-10 and 3.00-10 whitewall tire are tube tires.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I hated those tires.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

It is unfortunate that available whitewall tires which fit the Buddy are not particularly good quality. If I had to have whitewalls, I'm with ScootERIK - I'd experiment with white sidewall paint.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I would not have considered tire paint until you brought this up. I have new tires on my new scooter so I'm not about to buy new ones, and new tires on one motorcycle. I just ordered this. With shipping it it $24.42. I hope it works! :D
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

It's for the lack of a good quality whitewall tire I abandoned the classic look on my 2009 Italia. Went with the Michelin S1 blackwall tires instead. Am very happy with them.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

I love my white walls but keeping them clean is no easy task. Wire brush and white wall cleaner spray is an usual occurence. I assume if you painted them regardless of how good the product is it wouldn't last too long with the amount of times you have to clean them with a wire brush.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

srbbnd wrote:I love my white walls but keeping them clean is no easy task. Wire brush and white wall cleaner spray is an usual occurence. I assume if you painted them regardless of how good the product is it wouldn't last too long with the amount of times you have to clean them with a wire brush.
I never assume. I'm more of a skeptic. I need proof. That said I am empirically testing the hypothesis. They recommend two coats. This is what one coat looks like.

Also, I've had whitewalls before and NEVER needed more than soap and water to clean them. I certainly wouldn't use a wire brush on a tire!
Attachments
resized1 9.jpeg
resized1 9.jpeg (64.02 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

Prima whitewalls are fine, ignore all of the “knee dragging� bull...
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

olhogrider wrote:
srbbnd wrote:I love my white walls but keeping them clean is no easy task. Wire brush and white wall cleaner spray is an usual occurence. I assume if you painted them regardless of how good the product is it wouldn't last too long with the amount of times you have to clean them with a wire brush.
I never assume. I'm more of a skeptic. I need proof. That said I am empirically testing the hypothesis. They recommend two coats. This is what one coat looks like.

Also, I've had whitewalls before and NEVER needed more than soap and water to clean them. I certainly wouldn't use a wire brush on a tire!
Nice! Keep us posted on how the paint holds up.
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

Indeed let us know how the paint last.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Moyesdriver wrote:Prima whitewalls are fine, ignore all of the “knee dragging� bull...

Shinko makes a 3.50-10 tubeless whitewall with a classic tread pattern for about $35. I've never used SR550 tire but I have used Shinko tires for other motorcycles and a scooter. I think they are excellent tires and universally have great reviews but for some reason some Genuine Buddy riders don't like them. Maybe the knee draggers riding a Buddy on track day at triple digit speeds?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

PNWbuddy wrote:Shinko makes a 3.50-10 tubeless whitewall with a classic treat pattern for about $35. I've never used SR550 tire but I have used Shinko tires for other motorcycles and a scooter. I think they are excellent tires and universally have great reviews but for some reason some Genuine Buddy riders don't like them.
My theory on tires and Buddies- The Buddy 125/150/170 have really short wheelbases and fairly steep rake which makes for very quick handling scooters. But that comes with some twitchyness at times. I think that makes for a scooter that is a little more sensitive to tire choice. A tire that is good on other scooters might not be good on a Buddy.

Plus, you are more likely to hear from people with bad experiences than people with good experiences.

*At some point I will probably test a Shinko tire out just to see how my experience compares to others. But for right now I am really liking the Pirelli Angel 3.50-10.

olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Well I can honestly say the whitewall paint was a flop. It turned yellow within 2 days and now it is starting to peel. It looks pretty bad.

Yes, I read the directions, prepped accordingly and it was gorgeous. For 2 days.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, no problem. You just need to repaint them every 2 days :? - or make due with blackwalls.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

olhogrider wrote:Well I can honestly say the whitewall paint was a flop. It turned yellow within 2 days and now it is starting to peel. It looks pretty bad.

Yes, I read the directions, prepped accordingly and it was gorgeous. For 2 days.
Just a guess, scooter tires flex more than car tires and the paint probably can't handle that.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

eggsalad wrote:
olhogrider wrote:Well I can honestly say the whitewall paint was a flop. It turned yellow within 2 days and now it is starting to peel. It looks pretty bad.

Just a guess, scooter tires flex more than car tires and the paint probably can't handle that.
And yet there are whitewall scooter tires. I just think the paint is a poor substitute for the real thing.