Best lock ( college campus ) HELP

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

yel-mel

Best lock ( college campus ) HELP

Post by yel-mel »

I have a Buddy 50 and and going off to college in 2 weeks.
What is the best lock set up ? From what I can tell my school has lots of scooter parking but without posts or stands to put a chain around. The scooters park in very long rows very close to each other...I think an audible alarm would get bumped and set off too often.

My thought is a good U-lock through the front wheel an a Kyptonite chain or some other large chain from the U-lock to the rear tire ????

Any thoughts ? ( my budget is about $ 140 )

Thanks Guys :D
yel-mel

Post by yel-mel »

anyone ?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Long heavy chainthrough both wheels, crossed over the step through, with a just-big-enough lock. If theft at college is a problem, make the chain really heavy.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Since you can't secure the scooter to anything, may as well save some money and just get a good front brake disk lock. If someone really wanted your scooter they're just going to pick it up and load it onto a truck anyway.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You have to secure it to something solid, or you will lose your scooter and your disc brake lock. Two fellows can toss that scooter into the back of a pickup faster than you can say campus security. Treat it like a $2,500 bicycle. Make them move on to the next.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This lock gets good reviews, and the price is right: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086K ... _qh_dp_hza

Are you talking about locking it up during the day while you are in class?

Or are you talking about locking it up night after night in the same place while you are asleep?

Will the above lock do as good of job as the $150 Kryptonite? Maybe, maybe not. If you are not locking it to the post, you will only lose a $17.00 lock along with the scooter when it's lifted into the back of a truck.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 8.16.51 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 8.16.51 AM.png (170.1 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
yel-mel

Post by yel-mel »

Thanks much for the info.
I decided to go with a brake disk audible alarm ( as they are not too expensive ) and from what I now read they only sound for a few mins...then reset. I think the noise will be a deterrent when there are literally 100s of scooters for a thief to choose from. At night I will use this along with a chain. I think the main chance of them taking it would be by lifting into a truck.
loganx4

Post by loganx4 »

I use this one https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/o ... -disc-lock
So far no issues, I usually use my scooter when I go downtown and it would spend 4-6 hours at a time parked outside.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Several (quite a few?) members here have had their Buddy stolen at home. Lock it up to something there.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

I know I'm a bit late to the conversation, but the lock I used when my wife was commuting regularly was an OnGuard Beast

http://www.onguardlock.com/store/beast-8016

The biggest issue was it is heavy and my wife didn't like dealing with it.

Bonus though, it could be used as a weapon if you ever found yourself in a "Road Rash" situation.

Another point to consider, comprehensive coverage will cover you scooter in the event of theft. It costs me an additional $12/year to add comp to my policy on the scooter with a $100 deductible.