Advice on a 2009 Buddy International italia 150cc used!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Should I buy it?

Yes
No votes
No, too expensive!
100%

Total votes: 13

LTRNTA

Advice on a 2009 Buddy International italia 150cc used!

Post by LTRNTA »

Help! I have fallen in love with this scooter and am afraid that it is much more expensive than it should be.

Here is the craigslist post.

https://slo.craigslist.org/for/d/pismo- ... 41782.html

It is a third hand bike that has 3,000 miles on it and has been taken great care of by the previous owners. It has a wind shield attachment and locking trunk and upgraded suspension but the owner is trying to sell it for $2900. I love the style(italia) and have heard great things about the bike from this forum and everywhere else I look on the internet, but it seems they usually go for closer to 2000 rather that 3000!

I am a brand new scooter enthusiast, I have never owned one before.

I thought I would come here for advice since you all know so much!

Any thoughts?

[/code]
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Yeah, I would have expected more around $2000 also.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

No polite way to say it, these people have been sniffing glue.

And if you're willing to pay two grand for a bike like that, borrow a pickup and come to Vegas and I will happily sell you my scooter for $2000!!
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

For $3200 you can buy a brand new Buddy 170i in same color and it will have a two year warranty. Plus, it is 11 years newer and it will have better resale value if you decide you don't like scooters.

I wouldn't pay over $1500 for it myself. I can pretty much guarantee you that it has 11 year old tires that will need to be replaced which will cost you $250-300 if you can't do it yourself. It will probably need fresh brake fluid, unless the owner has services records showing that it was done. At 11 years old there are a lot of other rubber parts that might fail or need to be replaced. Also, there is a good chance the stator will fail in the near future, it was pretty common on the '09(that's about $200-250 to have replaced at the shop.)

Please don't buy it.
Syd

Post by Syd »

For $2700 you can buy a 2021 Buddy 125 at Hidden Power Cycle Clinic. Don't buy that scoot.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Dollar for dollar, Genuine Buddy 125/150 is the best scooter out there. At this price, you can get a pretty nice Vespa. This makes no sense at all.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Sounds like they’re trying to get their money back from the upgrades: top box, front rack, suspension. Unfortunately for them, it doesn’t work that way. I’d say $1500 for this scooter; $1300 if it were stock; expect to have to replace tires, all fluids, possibly brake pads.

Note that there is an awful lot of merchandise on Craigslist and FB Marketplace that is for sale, but that only one person in the household really wants to get rid of. And the person doing the “selling� is not that person. For that reason, don’t get attached to stuff you see too soon!

PS: it’s been listed for over two weeks, which should give you some indication. Also, they sure picked a dumb place to put that clock, didn’t they!
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

Make them an offer of what you think its worth. Every market is different, but I would agree, that seems high.

The racks, topcase, windscreen, and shocks are nice upgrades.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

Might as well join the fray. I bought the same scooter, 2009 Buddy 150 Italia with 1500 miles for less than $1000 private sale a year ago. It's a great looking and performing scooter, but not at $2700. 8)
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

tenders wrote:Sounds like they’re trying to get their money back from the upgrades: top box, front rack, suspension. Unfortunately for them, it doesn’t work that way. I’d say $1500 for this scooter; $1300 if it were stock; expect to have to replace tires, all fluids, possibly brake pads.
I looked at the listing and yes it has the original tires. I replaced mine for $120 (Michelin S1) and another $45 for rim mounting.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

That's a little steep to say the least. I bought a 09 Black Jack in MINTY FRESH garage kept condition with 1,250 miles a few months ago for $1500. Also came with a givi lighted top case and deadlight to turn signals hooked up to boot. Yes, it needed new tires so I dinged them $100 off their asking price for that.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I always go in figuring I'll need at a minimum one tire up to 3. I figure it into the price.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Syd

Post by Syd »

Looks like the OP is gone. Maybe she didn't like our answers?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Syd wrote:Looks like the OP is gone. Maybe she didn't like our answers?
More likely she didn't yet join our ranks - the listing is still up, so she's likely without a Buddy.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

JettaKnight wrote: the listing is still up,
At that price, the listing will still be up 100 years from now :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Hard pass
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
LTRNTA

return of op( sorry for disappearing)

Post by LTRNTA »

So, I sadly haven't joined your ranks. Thanks to your advice I decided not to buy the scooter, I told the man that I would go for 2000 max but that was an unpopular suggestion. The bike is still up and he has now shifted the price to 2500. I'm thinking that I'll wait another week and give him my still pretty generous offer of 2000. I really love the look of the bike and have literally dreamed about driving around on it.

Thanks for all the great advice.

I will try to keep y'all better updated!

[/quote]
tenders

Post by tenders »

Don’t get attached to something from a reluctant seller. For less than $2k you can get a newer, better, fuel-injected 170i and have all kinds of fun riding it around long before this dolt comes down to a reasonable price. Even if you have to pay a few hundred in shipping.
mjrally

Post by mjrally »

There’s plenty of used Buddy’s on Craigslist in LA. Make the drive down and you can take your pick. Or, take the train down, buy the one you want and ride your new scoot home.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I am starting to think the the OP is the same person who posted the Craigslist ad. They are trying to use Modern Buddy to find a buyer for their overpriced scooter.

Even at $2500 you would be better off going and buying a brand new Genuine 170i in the same color. I would be willing to bet it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a new scooter.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I don’t think the OP is a shill - if so, joke’s on him. I think the seller is reluctant and the OP is suffering from unrequited love.

Break up with this scoot over $1500! And maybe less.