First time scooter owner -- looking to go custom.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Melody

First time scooter owner -- looking to go custom.

Post by Melody »

Hey all,

I have been digging through old strings to get ideas/pointers for customizing my scooter. Here is the situation.

I just bought my first scoot last week - a cream 125. I love the scoot as it, but I already have plans to customize.

I am looking to do the following:

1. Remove the Buddy logos -- I read a string that says peel and apply wd-40. Any other pointers I should know before I attempt to do this?

2. Apply custom graphics of classic tattoo art (very Sailor Jerry like). I want my scoot (Kevin) to look like he is "inked". I am working on the designs and getting the vinyl printed...I might attempt to apply these myself...any pointers here? Do you think a first time scoot gal can do this?

3. Paint the wheels red. What kind of paint should I use. Powder coating is out of my price range right now. Is removing the wheels hard? I am a little worried to try this on my own. I'm not a mechanic by any means. I changed the oil on my first car once when I was in my teens -- is this bad idea?

4. Coat the passenger foot rests. I have read that I should do line X, which I am sure helps with grip. I think I might like to do these red as well...any suggestions on paint?

That's all for now.

Please help a first time scoot owner and DEFINATLEY first time customizer!

HELP!

I don't want a girly scoot (no offense). I want something a little more funky.
Peace and Love
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Sorry I can't help with the paint questions, but removing the wheels looks pretty straightforward. Download a copy of the service manual ( http://www.genuinescooters.com/ftp/budd ... manual.pdf ) and just follow the directions. If in doubt, find a trustworthy friend with a little experience!
Melody

Post by Melody »

Great! This should help a little. I am DEFINATLEY going to recruit one of my male friends to help out.

Still need some tips on paint...

I just walked outside and pulled the buddy decals right off. It was super easy!!

One down, 3 to go.
Peace and Love
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Application of vinyl can be a HUGE PITA. Or it can be pretty easy and straightforward, depending on the complexity of the graphic and how steady your hands are.

Biggest tip for those: GO SLOW. 100 false-starts to get it positioned perfectly is much better than the anguish you'll feel if you eff up and potentially destroy or deform your graphics trying to fix it. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
ka24desc

Post by ka24desc »

In my own past experiences with vinyl graphics, whin putting them on my car, I used a spray bottle of water with a couple of drops of dish soap.
Simply spray the area that you want to apply the graphic and position. This will allow you a greater margin of error by letting you slide it into position, then carefully squeege with a lint free cloth. After it dries they're not going anywhere. Mine are still on my car 4 years and running.
Have fun in life, doing whatever you do whenever you do it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Where are you having your custom vinyl printed? Locally? I have been looking for a place to do this for me. By "custom," I assume you mean your own designs, right?

I have plans for both the scoots in my stable. :twisted:
And I'm looking forward to see what others to with theirs!
Melody

Post by Melody »

Yeah, I found someone in the area to print vinyl. The price can really vary from what I have seen.

I just googled Decals for my zip. Came up with a lot of chices.
Peace and Love
Hypermotarded

Post by Hypermotarded »

Well I just popped on to be a hero with my brilliant "water with a drop or 2 of dishsoap" technique but I see it's a little late for that. Thanks for stealin my thunder Axe Yrcat! Jeez... :x
Ducati Seattle is at your service. If you have buddy questions or needs, call me at (206) 298-9995. Keep the rubber side down out there kids.
Melody

Post by Melody »

SWEET!

Water and soap it is. I am going to attempt to do it on my own. I think the artist in me will be able to manage :)

I have been calling some places about powder coating and for a car wheel they charge $60 each -- the scoot wheel should be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Forget painting. I am going to get it done right.

Red wheels to match the red springs. I wonder if they could coat the passenger foot grips.

HMMM.
Peace and Love
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

does anyone know enough about powder coating to tell me whether or not they could to multiple colors?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
Melody

Post by Melody »

Not sure...

I called a few powder coating places and they were super nice, answered a lot of questions for me. I would suggest hitting the ground running...someone is always willing to help.
Peace and Love
ctpaddler2000

Re: First time scooter owner -- looking to go custom.

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

Melody wrote:Remove the Buddy logos -- I read a string that says peel and apply wd-40. Any other pointers I should know before I attempt to do this?
Another tip is to apply a little heat with a blow dryer.
Another product to use instead of WD40 is "Goo Gone". I have seen it in hardware stores, big supermarkets, and craft stores.

Rob
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I simply removed them.....no big deal, nothing left behind. I did however go ahead and reapply one of them on the black plastic air-filter case (?) on the motor opposite side of the muffler and IMO it looks cool.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
Melody

Post by Melody »

Yeah, I walked outside a few days ago and simply pulled them off. Nothing left behind. It was easier than I ever imagined it would be.

Huh.

FYI - Just got my first quote for powder coating the wheels - $30-$40 per wheel. Not too shabby. HOWEVER, they will need the wheels for 7-10 days. UMMMMM, not as long as it's sunny!!!
Peace and Love