Need to vent after dog attacked scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mukaiboston

Need to vent after dog attacked scooter

Post by mukaiboston »

My sister's dog usually comes out to watch me work on the scooter and I've even run the scooter in front of him. Not sure if it's his male hormones kicking in or what (he just had his 2nd birthday I think), but he's gotten more aggressive lately.

This weekend I was changing the oil and when I started the scooter up right after, he went nuts and lunged at the scooter and chomped down on the tire. I know he has issues with loud machines, but I didn't think he'd actually get close to it because the muffler was still hot from me riding it.

Even though his teeth didn't go all the way through, I can't risk riding with sidewall cracks from where his teeth were so now I have to change the tire.

I'm going to try to do this myself for the first time since the closest shop can't see me for a month and I don't want to pay towing charges.

Hope I can get the tire off the rim and the new one on with the beads set. I hear that is the worst part of this. If anything, I should make my sister help me. She rotated the tires of her car all by herself this summer so I'm sure this wouldn't be that difficult for her.
Attachments
IMG_8758.jpg
IMG_8758.jpg (103.27 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Girl dogs are going into heat now so they can deliver in the spring. Makes the males crazy.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Better a scooter tire than a child's arm. Can you imagine?
mjrally

Post by mjrally »

Call your local scooter shop and see if they’ll change the tire quicker if you just bring the wheel in. 10 minute job if they have a tire machine. Then you re-install.

If that doesnt work, buy a new tire and take new and old to an independent motorcycle shop. Usually cash will expedite the process but if you need to sweeten the deal, have a cold 6 pack with you in case you need to bring out the big guns.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

This is why I have cats.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Since the scooter currently needs to be towed, I lose nothing trying to do it myself.

I read somewhere from a person who used to swap motorcycle tires frequently in the shop that they would remove the old tire in under a minute using bolt cutters to break the bead. If the tire is already shot, why waste time delicately trying to remove it with hand tools.

I'll try to get the new tire on the rim using windex (glass cleaner), rim protectors and those tire spoons and if, for some reason I can't get it, I'll see if I can take just the tire to the shop.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I should point out that I called around and no one has a 3.5 x 10 tire in stock. I was planning to swap both tires out in the spring with black Michelins to match but I'll just have to buy another whitewall Continental if I only want to mess with the rear wheel and get this thing back on the road. I can change both tires to Michelins next time.

All this talk about people taking their tires to the mechanic makes me nervous about seating a new tire myself. Is this just more out of convenience? There are countless youtube videos of people seating scooter tires in a matter of minutes using Windex, rim protectors and tire spoons. Once on the rim, they bounce the tire while rotating it to get the beads against the rim and then give a couple shots of compressed air and everything snaps into place. It looks easy from the videos - just a pain.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

mukaiboston wrote:I should point out that I called around and no one has a 3.5 x 10 tire in stock. I was planning to swap both tires out in the spring with black Michelins to match but I'll just have to buy another whitewall Continental if I only want to mess with the rear wheel and get this thing back on the road. I can change both tires to Michelins next time.

All this talk about people taking their tires to the mechanic makes me nervous about seating a new tire myself. Is this just more out of convenience? There are countless youtube videos of people seating scooter tires in a matter of minutes using Windex, rim protectors and tire spoons. Once on the rim, they bounce the tire while rotating it to get the beads against the rim and then give a couple shots of compressed air and everything snaps into place. It looks easy from the videos - just a pain.
probably out of convenience...youtube videos will help...watch a bunch of them to find different methods...i've seen people remove and mount motorcycle tires with large zip ties on there

if you want to set a tire fast...check out the youtube videos of people setting tires with fire...a little ether plus a burning stick will do the job quick
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Tires are one thing I don't mess with, too important, IMHO.

If my engine blows it sucks (wait...), but if the tire blows, very bad.

I'd take this to to get the Michelin tires... so much better.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

wheelbender6 wrote:Girl dogs are going into heat now so they can deliver in the spring.
Soooo not so! Gestation for dogs is only 62 days.
mjrally

Post by mjrally »

To answer your question, yes going to a mechanic to install the tire is purely out of convenience. Do it once and you’ll realize an hour later that a few bucks to a mechanic is worth so much more than what you spent on spoons, rim protectors, bead buddies with a lot less cursing/bloody knuckles/ wear and tear. This is just on a 3.5-10! Imagine a Harley tire!?!?!?!

Up to you though. I’ve just gotten sick of changing tires on solid rims. Split rims I can still deal with.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Tires make me really nervous too and I wouldn't do it myself if my scooter were rideable and I didn't have to wait a month.

The two parts that scare me are making sure the wheel doesn't fall off and making sure that air doesn't escape around the rim.

For the first part, my rim actually is two parts. The center part that connects to the brake shoe is held to the second part by five bolts. In order to avoid messing with the torqued lugnut, I can just remove the five bolts to get the wheel off. To make sure the bead is set, I think I've read you can fill the tire to 45 psi and leave it overnight. If it doesn't leak, it's good.

Watch this guy take a tire off a motorcycle rim, put a new one on and inflate it less than 2 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8en0AKzytb8

(NOTE: personally, I wouldn't ever do this because the way he gets the tire off so fast is by using a flat shovel and then jumping on it. Looks like a high risk of wrecking the rims or brake disc. Still impressive he got the new tire on in seconds using his own body weight and three tire irons.)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

tenders

Post by tenders »

mukaiboston wrote: Watch this guy take a tire off a motorcycle rim, put a new one on and inflate it less than 2 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8en0AKzytb8
Pretty good performance! And he didn't even look particularly rushed, just efficient.

I find that scooter tires are harder than motorcycle tires - the limited stretch due to their small size. I cut old ones off easily enough with a Harbor Freight oscillating saw (cheap) and a decent Bosch blade (maybe $7) without damaging anything. But I happily pay a shop to put the new ones on.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Being able to change your own tires is a great skill to have. The first few times can be a little time consuming as you figure out the technique but with practice it can be a very quick and easy procedure.

Worst case if halfway in you figure out that you can't do it you can always take it in to the dealer.

I needed to change a tire so last night I made a couple videos.

This is how I break the bead- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5eSSidQgRc
Most tires won't be this easy so you will have stomp on the 2x4 a few times until you break the bead.

This is how I remove a tire from the rim - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB2iHYXJTzc
If you are concerned about possibly scratching the rim you can use rim protectors. I am not worried about a few small scratches on the rim, they add character.

This sort of how I install a tire - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEsfnXMZUJw
I say sort of because I got lucky with this one and both sides went on at the same time. Normally I do each bead separately, I did shoot a video doing it this way that I can post if anyone is interested.

I didn't shoot a video of seating the bead because it would be kind of boring, it took longer to seat the bead than it did to remove and install a tire.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Great videos, scootERIK.

Seating the bead part is actually what has me most worried. I'll probably have to take it to a gas station with an air compressor and fill it there.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

mukaiboston wrote:Great videos, scootERIK.

Seating the bead part is actually what has me most worried. I'll probably have to take it to a gas station with an air compressor and fill it there.
Thanks.

The bad news is not all gas station air stations will work, at least not for me. I once tried to do it at a Kwik Trip and it wouldn't work, it didn't like pumping into a leaking tire. But this air station had a computer where you would enter in the desired PSI, so maybe a regular gas station air compressor will work.

You can look into method that uses a tie down strap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8MFXZr36hs
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

wheelbender6 wrote:Girl dogs are going into heat now so they can deliver in the spring. Makes the males crazy.
I'm just posting to see if "bitch" is blocked by a filter here.
Syd

Post by Syd »

JettaKnight wrote:
wheelbender6 wrote:Girl dogs are going into heat now so they can deliver in the spring. Makes the males crazy.
I'm just posting to see if "bitch" is blocked by a filter here.
It may be blocked now!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Next time pay some local kid to run around the block with a pork chop tied around his neck. It'll provide non-X Box exercise for the youngster and tons of amusement for Fido.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Tire is now replaced.

By far, the hardest maintenance ever. It was nothing like what you see in the videos. I had to take the thing to my uncle who is a mechanic and it took both of us 40 minutes.

Getting the tire onto the rim took lube, multiple tire irons, a crowbar, a mallet and both of us standing on the tire in various places.

He had to insert the tire iron between the rubber and the rim and really hammer it so it would move around the rim.

Then when it came time to set the bead, the air compressor wasn't enough. We had to strap the circumference of the tire and then hit it multiple times with air to get everything to snap into place.

This turned out to be an impossible job for one person. I'm not sure how one person is able to do motorcycle tires in a couple minutes but this was crazy.

This is the tire I have. I wanted to go with black Michelins but since I have to do this myself, I decided to only replace the affected tire so it will match the front.
https://www.scooterworks.com/Continenta ... 12090.aspx