Buddy 170i Won't Start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

New2Scoots

Buddy 170i Won't Start

Post by New2Scoots »

Battery was dead, got a new one. Still won't start. Put it on the charger & was fully charged in about 30 minutes. Still won't start. I hear a click when I push the start button. A Youtube video said take out the per carrier & short the 2 terminals on the right. That should start it. Ok, I got a spark but no start. Now it doesn't click when I push the starter button meaning I probably zapped the starter relay. I contacted the dealer by email but haven't heard from them. Bought a ramp to load it into the truck & take it there but I'll call tomorrow & schedule a repair. Until then, anyone know what's wrong & what it might cost to have it fixed?
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

wheelbender6

Re: Buddy 170i Won't Start

Post by wheelbender6 »

How long did your scoot sit, without running? May be worth draining the tank and fuel lines and replacing with fresh fuel.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Not to pick on you, but what do you mean by “won’t start”? Does the starter motor turn the engine over, but it will not fire and run? Or does the starter not turn the engine over?

If you aren’t clear about what is happening, how do you expect anyone to help you?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Alzero wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:07 pm Not to pick on you, but what do you mean by “won’t start”? Does the starter motor turn the engine over, but it will not fire and run? Or does the starter not turn the engine over?

If you aren’t clear about what is happening, how do you expect anyone to help you?
As I mentioned "I hear a click when I push the start button." What I mean by that is, I hear a click when I push the start button.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

mjrally

Post by mjrally »

First off, with a good charged battery, you should hear the fuel pump whine when you turn the key on and make sure the kill switch is in run. If you dont even get that, the pump isnt getting power. That could be because the battery is too weak to power it, something between the pump and the battery has problems (relay, blown fuse etc) or the fuel pump is bad.

If you hear the whine and then hold a brake lever while you push the starter button and it just goes click rather than chug, chug, chug, your battery is too weak, theres some problem with the starter button, theres a problem with the brake lever switch (required to allow the starter button to work), the relay or the starter motor itself are bad/ damaged.

When you tried to jump the starter solenoid you probably blew a fuse. Check your fusebox for any blown ones and report back. See if you can hear the fuel pump prime.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Thanks I'll check those things.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Stanza

Post by Stanza »

On the buddy 170, the fuel pump should spool up when you turn the key on. That's step one to listen for. Beyond that, if you are hearing a click, it means that your starter relay is attempting to pass power to the starter motor.

Reasons for that not actually cranking the motor over include: Bad starter, bad connection from power wire to starter, bad connection from solenoid to main wire to starter, failed solenoid, and last(worst case scenario) locked engine.

You need to work your way through the easy tests first. The main wires to and from solenoid (from battery to solenoid, and from solenoid to starter) are rarely at fault, but check with a power meter to see if you are getting 12v at both with the starter button held down. If it's just one out of two, then your solenoid is no bueno.

If you get 12v at both poles, test for power at the starter motor positive wire, right at the starter. If you get 12v there, check the connection for corrosion (take wire off, clean terminal with wire brush, re-attach).

If after all that the starter motor isn't turning, you are down to bad starter or locked engine. With someone holding down the start button for you, give the starter motor a whack with a hammer (use a metal or wooden rod, held against the starter motor, and whack the other end). If the starter motor starts turning, time to replace it. If not, you need to open up the CVT cover and turn the crank by hand to see if it's locked up solid.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Good info, thanks very much. I got backed up with projects until tomorrow, after that I will do those steps.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X