‘New’ Buddy 125 Owner here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BARELY LEGAL

‘New’ Buddy 125 Owner here

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

Hello MB!

I just bought a 2009 Buddy 125 for $300 and I’m super stoked! I first fell in love with these scooters back in 2010 when we bought one for my ex-wife, and I’ve been casually looking for a scooter ever since. Couldn’t pass up the deal, so I jumped on it.

It’s got 23,xxx miles on it apparently, came with a bunch of replacement parts, and was mostly disassembled. Not a single bolt was tight as I think the PO tried everything to get it going. A little carb cleaner, some fresh gas, and a super glue repair on the carb slide diaphragm, and she’s running!

Now that I know it runs and rides, I am planning on investing a bit to get it back roadworthy. It needs new tires, badly. I am wanting to put something a little taller and knobby on it as I plan on using this a bit off-road, and it’s gonna serve ‘pit-bike’ duty at the track. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
BARELY LEGAL

Re: ‘New’ Buddy 125 Owner here

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

Pics Attached.
Attachments
EE8553EC-C0EF-450E-8F5E-8B07F11131A6.jpeg
5F67DA3E-4A57-405E-892B-C4C5EC27D380.jpeg
D56AB79C-868D-49EC-B6EC-E7C454A46FD7.jpeg
1ED872E0-2D99-4C39-A1EB-C120CD40270B.jpeg
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

I bought a non-running Buddy 125 a couple years ago also for $300. Only needed replacement of a shorted regulator/rectifier.
Regarding tires: I put Shinko 425 street tires on it, 110/70 on the front fit and easy to mount on the rim, 130/70 on the back - that was a mistake, it was nearly impossible to seat on the rim (finally took it to a Les Schwab tire center, they took almost a half hour and many attempts to finally get it to seat, they did it for free) only a few mm of clearance between the tire and the swingarm and the ridge on the sidewall rubbed through on the left side inner plastic fender. I rode some unmaintained forest service roads with the street tires then decided to try a knobby on the rear. Shinko 3.00 421 tube type tire that I put on without a tube, should have gone with 3.50 but wasn't (and still not) sure about clearance due to the knobby tread. Has slow air loss at the bead and the tire didn't help get through even a few inches of snow. I could try a 3.50 on the rear and put the 3.00 on the front but I've lost interest for now.

FYI
I also had done a 161 BBK with big valve head and larger intake manifold and carb, that provides more than enough low end power for wheel spin and wheelies but the top speed is still in the mid to lower 50's like most with the stock engine report.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Well done.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
BARELY LEGAL

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

It’s looking like the Shinko 421 might be my best best then. I was hoping Kenda made their K761 in the right 3.50-10 size, as I’ve heard nothing but good reviews on that tire. But unfortunately they smallest thing they make is a 120/90x10 and I think that’ll be just too tall to fit without major modification. I am totally willing to take off plastics and trim where needed, but even then I think it’s gonna be too tall.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I just got the Kenda K329 in 3.50x10 and it makes me happy.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Attachments
Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 2.59.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 2.59.39 PM.png (69.77 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
BARELY LEGAL

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

I wound up ordering the Shinko 421 and some inner tubes that should arrive on Friday. Now I just gotta figure out what hardware I’m missing and put the bike back together. Fingers crossed I can have this thing assembled by the end of this weekend and ripping around.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

20210214_091156 (2).jpg
20210214_091156 (2).jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
Here is the 3.00 421 on mine.

Let us know how your 3.50 fit. The tires are so cheap I might put one on the rear if there is good clearance even though I don't even have the scooter registered anymore. My interest in the scooter sort of waxes and wanes, currently waned.
BARELY LEGAL

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

PNWbuddy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:42 pm 20210214_091156.jpg

Here is the 3.00 421 on mine.

Let us know how your 3.50 fit. The tires are so cheap I might put one on the rear if there is good clearance even though I don't even have the scooter registered anymore. My interest in the scooter sort of waxes and wanes, currently waned.
That thing looks SERIOUS! I love it.

I’ll update this with photos when I get them mounted.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Congrats on the new scoot.

If you're going to haul it in the truck, I'd suggest buying (or making) a canyon dancer or similar handlebar harness. You want your tie straps to attach on the top of the bike, front and back.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

BARELY LEGAL wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:48 am I wound up ordering the Shinko 421 and some inner tubes that should arrive on Friday. Now I just gotta figure out what hardware I’m missing and put the bike back together. Fingers crossed I can have this thing assembled by the end of this weekend and ripping around.
I'm on again, off again with this scooter but your posts got me interested again, at least for now. I ordered a couple 3.50 421s which I suppose should arrive in a week or two. For sure I'm running them tubeless with ride-on sealant and will use some bead sealer if necessary. I think it would be nearly impossible to change or patch a tube for this bike on a forest road out in the sticks.

I found that the fork oil was low with different amounts in each tube and nasty like old fork oil gets over time. Depending on how yours rides you might want to look into changing it out. Not difficult but it is different than motorcycle forks that I have had (this is my first, and likely only, scooter).
BARELY LEGAL

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

Got the Shinko 421’s mounted. Ran tubes inside of these. Not too difficult a job, but certainly not the easiest tires I’ve mounted. They came labeled as ‘Golden Boy’ instead of Shinko. Filled in the lettering with yellow paint marker. I’m not mad about it at all.
Attachments
D91FEE4D-F56E-4855-B5F1-B1A6A1C3504E.jpeg
A5937B1D-A6D8-4D81-966A-74CDD0F8344F.jpeg
811BD8BB-A5DB-45B6-A4DD-563557F8D1F8.jpeg
BARELY LEGAL

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

JettaKnight wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 pm Congrats on the new scoot.

If you're going to haul it in the truck, I'd suggest buying (or making) a canyon dancer or similar handlebar harness. You want your tie straps to attach on the top of the bike, front and back.
I will definitely look into this. When I picked the bike up, I just strapped to the front and rear wheels, but I really don’t like that solution.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Make sure you attach the harness to the very ends of the handlebars: you can use the leverage to twist your forks out of alignment when you strap your scooter down.

When I had my Computrack shop years ago, we made a ton of money taking the twist out of fork assemblies for racers and sport riders. New bikes were pretty straight, but once they threw the Canyon Dancer on and strapped them down to the truck or trailer they twisted and began to bind up. Stiction went way up and in the worst cases the bikes turned better one way than the other.

All that is keeping your forks straight is the friction between the smooth alloy triple clamps and the chrome fork tubes. Pulling the front tire against the truck bed or chock to compress the forks is all it takes to twist fork assemblies.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

BARELY LEGAL wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:54 am Got the Shinko 421’s mounted. Ran tubes inside of these. Not too difficult a job, but certainly not the easiest tires I’ve mounted. They came labeled as ‘Golden Boy’ instead of Shinko. Filled in the lettering with yellow paint marker. I’m not mad about it at all.
Looking good!
My 421 3.50 tires are supposed to be delivered Friday. Probably won't be able to ride forest service roads in areas that I want until late June into July because this has been a big snow year so far. Currently 160 inches at a 5400 feet NOAA test station and snow depth usually increases until about May.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Alzero wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm Make sure you attach the harness to the very ends of the handlebars: you can use the leverage to twist your forks out of alignment when you strap your scooter down.

When I had my Computrack shop years ago, we made a ton of money taking the twist out of fork assemblies for racers and sport riders. New bikes were pretty straight, but once they threw the Canyon Dancer on and strapped them down to the truck or trailer they twisted and began to bind up. Stiction went way up and in the worst cases the bikes turned better one way than the other.

All that is keeping your forks straight is the friction between the smooth alloy triple clamps and the chrome fork tubes. Pulling the front tire against the truck bed or chock to compress the forks is all it takes to twist fork assemblies.
I've used Canyon Dancers a few times for this scooter and other motorcycles without a problem but the dealership that I picked up a new bike a few years ago they recommended that I not use them for the same reasons you gave. So it must not be a rare isolated problem.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Alzero.....are you suggesting not to load the front forks at all maybe?

Just snug them down and then pull straight down from a more "vertical" point of pull?
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Tie down the rear of the bike first pulling the front tire away from the chock or the front of the truck bed or trailer. Then tie down the front compressing the forks, but keeping the front tire from touching anything. The bike should have its suspension compressed and be “floating” on the tiedowns. If the front wheel is not wedged against anything, it cannot impart any twist into the fork assembly as you ratchet it down tight. If the front and rear suspension is compressed, preloading the ratcheting straps, the bike cannot move or bounce around in transit.
BARELY LEGAL

Post by BARELY LEGAL »

Alzero wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm Tie down the rear of the bike first pulling the front tire away from the chock or the front of the truck bed or trailer. Then tie down the front compressing the forks, but keeping the front tire from touching anything. The bike should have its suspension compressed and be “floating” on the tiedowns. If the front wheel is not wedged against anything, it cannot impart any twist into the fork assembly as you ratchet it down tight. If the front and rear suspension is compressed, preloading the ratcheting straps, the bike cannot move or bounce around in transit.
Good info to have!
Point37

Post by Point37 »

looks good with those wheels...i need to mount a milk crate...i have a rear trunk that came with the bike but i removed it when i bought the bike cause i didn't like how it looked...how did you mount yours?...i don't see the bar from the rack in front of the crate
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)