no one wears riding gear here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

robtaylor

no one wears riding gear here

Post by robtaylor »

oklahoma does not require you to wear a helmet so it seems like no one does.

as the weather has begun to show signs of improvement, i;m noticing more and more bikes out there and no one is geared up.

i've noticed the harley guys are probably the worst offenders, we all know about the loud pipe no helmet culture so i won't go in to it too much

then the scooter riders are next around here if they are wearing a helmet it is probably a shorty helmet with no jacket, gloves, etc. i went on a scooter club ride last night and i was the only one that was wearing anything other than a helmet. a couple guys were wearing nothing but a t shirt and jeans.

I've noticed the cops out on the m/c's pulling people over wear helmets, boots, gloves, and short sleeve polyester shirts. seems a little weird that the city wouldn't want them wearing something to protect their spine, elbows, etc.

then finally the sportbike guys probably do the best job of gearing up around here, it's like it's part of the culture to have the matching leathers and boots and helmet. but it is surprising that the seemingly riskiest bikes/riders are the ones geared up the most

don't know what i'm looking for in response but just an observation
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Well,
you can't force people to do something they don't want to do. Could be that "only happens to other people" mentality, until it happens to you. If they don't gear up and they fall . . . leason learned.

I am surpised the cops only wear shirts :shock: You would think they have seen enough in their job to know better.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Supersoul

Gearing Up

Post by Supersoul »

I live in S. Florida. Try "gearing up" in 90+F/98% humidity summers here and you'll think you found a new weight loss program.
robtaylor

Re: Gearing Up

Post by robtaylor »

Supersoul wrote:I live in S. Florida. Try "gearing up" in 90+F/98% humidity summers here and you'll think you found a new weight loss program.
yeah oklahoma's 100+F/75% humidity summer's can be pretty rough, i'm glad i've got mesh

www.cannonballbuddy.com
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

robonz23 wrote:
Supersoul wrote:I live in S. Florida. Try "gearing up" in 90+F/98% humidity summers here and you'll think you found a new weight loss program.
yeah oklahoma's 100+F/75% humidity summer's can be pretty rough, i'm glad i've got mesh
yeah but we have it for 8 months a year!! :cry:

Actually, having lived in so many different places, there are LOTS of summers that are worse than SoFla's but it's the sheer LENGTH of the summer (no kidding, 8 months) and the fact that at night the temps drop maybe 2-3 degrees that makes it, for me, the hottest place I've ever lived. I can't complain about it though, I love it down here. And year-round riding is awesome (or will be once I've ridden for a year!). I just got back from running a bunch of errands on my Buddy with 82 degree temps and a cool breeze and then I come hear and read "I hope the snow melts tomorrow so I can ride" and I really can't complain...

And yeah - gear? What's that. So many people in tank tops, shorts, and flip flops around here on every two wheeler imaginable. I always wear helmet, gloves, and boots, and 99% of the time have my mesh jacket too. I get the weirdest looks from other riders!! I saw a guy on a sport bike yesterday riding on a very busy main road (50mph) with his FF helmet hooked to his seat. Incredible.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

You know, now that Ive been riding for 2 weeks, I appriciate my apearal. My helmet with face shield keeps those happy buzzing bees out of my eyes (I dont know what those people do without helmets) And My jacket keeps the sun off my arms. I got my new jacket this last week, its a bit snug (If they are going to make a jacket and label it for women, you would think they would leave room for breasts, but alas) but it does a great job of keeping bugs out of my shirt, and keeps my flourescent arms nice and white (I havent been wearing my gloves in the afternoons and I have lobster hands now) I always wear pants, which seems like a no-brainer to those of us who have ever sat down on vinyl seats in the summer, and I wear atleast tennis shoes, if not boots.
:oops: In AZ, a wreck on a scooter is like a BBQ, first you get ground scooterist, then you throw it on a 120* surface and bake until the EMT's arrive. Thats what makes me gear up every morning- And I know Ill be tempted to wear less as the temp goes up-but Ill always wear my helmet.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

jmazza wrote: I saw a guy on a sport bike yesterday riding on a very busy main road (50mph) with his FF helmet hooked to his seat. Incredible.
i see that a lot here, what are they waiting for to use that thing, or is it their girlfriend's?

8 month summers holy crap! i would die, i love the warmer weather but after a while it beats you down.

and yeah i feel for all the people who are fighting winter still

www.cannonballbuddy.com
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Tell'ya the truth, I really don't give a crap what other (unrelated) people wear when they ride! Or whatever the f**k they may or may not think about what I'm wearing either! :roll:

AFAIC it's about freedom to choose; freedom to pursue your riding sport at the safety and comfort level you prefer! 8)

But then, as a contradiction, I also support the idea of helmet laws, as I believe they are neccessary and helpful.... :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

Drumwoulf wrote:Tell'ya the truth, I really don't give a crap what other (unrelated) people wear when they ride! Or whatever the f**k they may or may not think about what I'm wearing either! :roll:

AFAIC it's about freedom to choose; freedom to pursue your riding sport at the safety and comfort level you prefer! 8)

But then, as a contradiction, I also support the idea of helmet laws, as I believe they are neccessary and helpful.... :wink:

that's funny i don't really support helmet laws, i just think a careful and intelligent person might tend toward wearing one.

i support freedoms in many many ways, several of these include being stupid :lol:

www.cannonballbuddy.com
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Drumwoulf wrote:Tell'ya the truth, I really don't give a crap what other (unrelated) people wear when they ride! Or whatever the f**k they may or may not think about what I'm wearing either! :roll:

Well said, although I'm undecided about laws regulating anything we wear. If there was proof positive that some sort of universal helmet or gear law would reduce insurance costs, I'd probably support it.

As I've said before, I don't know what I'd do if I lived in a really hot weather area. Back in the late 70's/early 80's I owned a bike in Western Kentucky, in the Ohio River valley. If you don't know the area, humidity levels are insane there. I hated riding in the summer but it was pretty nice for most of the rest of the year. We also know South Florida well and I'm pretty sure I would take many gear shortcuts if I lived there. On the one hand, you want to gear up as much as possible to protect yourself in the event of a crash. On the other hand, you need to avoid extreme discomfort to maintain your skill and awareness levels. I don't mind sweating (especially compared to brain damage or road rash) but I do mind "losing touch" because I'm nearing heat stroke.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
louie

Post by louie »

gt1000 wrote: ...If there was proof positive that some sort of universal helmet or gear law would reduce insurance costs, I'd probably support it...
the data on mc accidents does support it.
rdpunltd

helment laws ...

Post by rdpunltd »

promotes longevity which increases population which depletes planetary resources ...

go green ... die young

save the planet!!!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

If there was proof positive that some sort of universal helmet or gear law would reduce insurance costs, I'd probably support it.
Here I was thinking it was about saving your life!

Yeah, Tulsa is weird little town sometimes. I see a lot of what robonz23 said. A little old lady scooted by the other day--no helmet, no protective gear at all--smiling and waiving. I know the Hooters on Scooters group insists their members wear protective gear when on a ride. What group did your ride with robonz?

The summers are brutal though. I need to find a good mesh jacket this year but have had no luck so far.
Last edited by pugbuddy on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Honestly I just find it funny that everyone is required to wear a seat belt in car with air bags, a steel frame, and has passed all kinds of safety regs but there's no problem with not wearing a helmet? That's... interesting.

Anyway, debates about wearing helmets is pretty much a no no here so I won't start one. It truly is up to the rider to set their own priorities. Wear one or don't, it's up to you. Just take full responsibility for your decisions. If you decide to not wear a helmet and end up getting aired out... don't expect sympathy.

I'm sure people that don't ride on two wheels pretty much feel the same about me for just getting on a scooter ;)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If I cared what anyone else thought I would ride a Harley. I ride scooters.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
heavypetting

Post by heavypetting »

If you don't wear protective gear for yourself, wear it for the people who will have to change your diapers for the rest of your life if/when you wipe out.
If not for them, do it for the Medics/Fire Dept/Police who will have to respond to the 911 call with a shovel.

I have a dear friend and lifelong motorcycle rider that wiped out on his Harley (sand/corner/concrete culvert) a few years ago. He was wearing a "brain bucket." He's blind in one eye, only has 50% vision in the other,
walks with a severe limp and has NO short term memory. He can't live by himself, had to sell the business he owned for 30+ years. He's not real concerned about looking cool anymore.
My chicken is smarter than your honor student!
www.mrjoy.net
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

On a serious side the worst place I have ever seen for protective gear is Key West. Alot of locals ride scoots and there are tons of 50cc rentals that scare the snot out of me with the way they drive. Shorts and flip flops are typical riding gear. Last time I was down there I think I saw one other person wearing a helmet

As much as I hate to admit it I was a little self conscious wearing my gear. I also had my wifes granddaughter come along for a ride. She REALLY didn't want to wear any gear but the rule was no gear..no ride.

We also saw one wreck that was pretty serious. I don't know how bad it was but they carted the guy away and had to hose down the street. after that there were no more complaints.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

One of the biggest reason why I ride is for the feel of freedom. The wind blowing by, no metal/plastic box wrapped around me, and for shear enjoyment. Please don't get wrapped up on what other riders should wear. Restricting laws mostly hurt more people than help. Do I wear a helmet? Most of the time, but I know my wife wouldn't be riding if she had to wear a full leather suit in the middle of the summer and I don't think I would be either. Just enjoy the ride for yourself and don't fret over the person riding next to you. Enjoyment is what it is suppose to be about anyway plus saving tons of gas and reducing emissions is a big bonus. So today it is sunny and going to be in the upper 40's...I'm going to take a ride!!!! Happy weekend everyone.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Dibber wrote:Just enjoy the ride for yourself and don't fret over the person riding next to you.
Very true. Lojical1 and I were talking about that very point last night (there seem to be a lot of riders here that don't wear gear). As long as what the driver next to you is doing doesn't endanger anyone else than I guess do you (like I said just accept responsibility). I think the want for everyone to gear up comes from not wanting to see anyone get hurt.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

Corsair wrote:I think the want for everyone to gear up comes from not wanting to see anyone get hurt.

that's all i was saying in the beginning, i'm never going to tell someone they have to wear a helmet (unless they are riding one of my bikes) i just find it interesting how many people don't choose to wear a bit more gear.

but i was thinking about it last night, i've been out on the road for thousands of miles on a bicycle and all i ever had on was a bike helmet, gloves, and a bunch of spandex. laying a bicycle down at thirty mph teaches you that spandex doesn't offer a lot of abrasion protection.

www.cannonballbuddy.com
Christy

Post by Christy »

BuddyRaton wrote:If I cared what anyone else thought I would ride a Harley.
This is my most favorite quote ever! thank you BuddyRaton! May I quote you in my signature?
EPSP #76
Valgal20

Re: helment laws ...

Post by Valgal20 »

rdpunltd wrote:promotes longevity which increases population which depletes planetary resources ...

go green ... die young

save the planet!!!
Here Here! if you dont want to wear a helmet, Have your Will prepared at least. Scootering is more dangerous if your not going to gear up, but on the other hand, scootering/motorcycling is more dangerous than driving a car. So, helmet laws or not, if you are not wearing your gear (or even if you are) have a nice Will planned out, and let Darwin do the picking!
Corsair

Re: helment laws ...

Post by Corsair »

Valgal20 wrote: and let Darwin do the picking!
wow... HAHAHAHAHA
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

tell me about it.. scooteristas here (Honolulu) wear flip-flops, beach shorts, no shirt, right hand on the gas, left hand clutching a surfboard :lol: Can you picture that? sooo weird when you're standing by the left side of the road - and one of those come along :shock: all you see is a long board floating along with the traffic :shock: hahaha.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hey, guys,

Just a reminder that discussion of helmet laws is outside the posting guidelines. That may seem strange to new members or folks who haven't been on other motoring/scootering forums, but there are good reasons for the topic ban. Basically, people's opinions on these laws are tied very closely with their political ideals, feelings on personal freedoms, etc. and some of the most severe flame wars ever seen on forums occurred in discussions about these laws.

So, as long as there's no bickering or arguing and everyone remains respectful of each other, feel free to make observations and discuss your personal experiences. But please try to avoid discussion of helmet laws, the need (or lack there of) for these laws, your opinions on personal freedoms and the role of government and similar things on the slippery slope.

[Everyone's been quite civil so far, so thanks for that! Just want to make sure it stays that way.]
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Christy wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:If I cared what anyone else thought I would ride a Harley.
This is my most favorite quote ever! thank you BuddyRaton! May I quote you in my signature?

Go for it!
www.teamscootertrash.com

scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

hey, buddyraton. just wanted to tell you how much i love your sig line. the talking heads (david byrne) are one of my all-time favorite groups. i had the distinct pleasure of seeing them at the roxy in l.a. on their first tour. david byrne so wrapped up in 'psycho killer' that i was scared. (not really) LOL

one of my first rock and roll crushes was on little tina weymouth. there was this wee small gal working that damned big ole bass guitar. yeah! that's what i'm talking about. ;)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

On a little bit of a lighter side sometimes the safety police can go a bit too far! I was at the Scooter Encounter Rally in Orlando last October. I was riding in full gear, Icon motorhead boots, fieldsheer mesh jacket and mesh armored pants, gloves, modular helmet. When I got there I took off the armored pants and boots and had on shorts that I had been wearing underneath and a pair of flip flops that I had under the seat of the Burgman. One well meaning guy came up to me and asked why I was wearing shorts and flip flops. My answer? cause it was a picnic!! He started following me back to my bike giving me a very stern lecture. He got pretty quiet when I popped the seat and pulled out my boots jacket and pants!
Attachments
Buddy Raton at Scooter Encounter!
Buddy Raton at Scooter Encounter!
small_100_0654.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
www.teamscootertrash.com

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Hahahahaha!
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scullyfu wrote:hey, buddyraton. just wanted to tell you how much i love your sig line. the talking heads (david byrne) are one of my all-time favorite groups. i had the distinct pleasure of seeing them at the roxy in l.a. on their first tour. david byrne so wrapped up in 'psycho killer' that i was scared. (not really) LOL

one of my first rock and roll crushes was on little tina weymouth. there was this wee small gal working that damned big ole bass guitar. yeah! that's what i'm talking about. ;)
Lucky lucky lucky. I've seen Byrne, I saw the Tom Tom Club with Jerry Harrison, but I never got to see the Heads—one of my big music regrets. No idea what it would have been like to see them in '77-'78.

I've always had a soft spot for female bassists—Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Tina—but Weymouth was one of the originals and the one that inspired me when I started playing bass late in life.

Digression/hijack over. Thanks!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Quote:
If there was proof positive that some sort of universal helmet or gear law would reduce insurance costs, I'd probably support it.

Here I was thinking it was about saving your life!
I need to be careful here because we are sort of skirting the rule on helmet law discussions. For the record, I choose to wear a helmet all the time, it's one of the few "shortcuts" I choose not to take. I also happen to live in a state with no helmet law. I happen to know a number of smart and otherwise rational people who choose not to wear a helmet. Honestly, I don't really worry about the people who understand the risk, I worry about the uninformed rider who thinks they can't really hurt themselves on a little scooter.

For me, and probably most of us who choose to wear a helmet, it is about saving your life, avoiding brain damage, etc. But, if a universal helmet law is ever passed, it won't be because helmets are safer. It will be because wearing helmets makes money for insurance companies.

I learned a long time ago that one can suffer a pretty serious concussion or even brain damage just by falling hard while standing still. Moving along at 40 mph compounds the issue. That's why I wear full face all the time.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks for the caution and the attempt to skirt the law issue.

Here's the thing: how one feels about whether the laws are just or whether the motivation for them is safety or greed is somewhat irrelevant. All that's important to know is that helmets—of any size, shape or type—offer additional protection and can be the factor that separates an unfortunate mishap on your scoot and a fatal accident. I'd like to think that's fairly obvious, but have seen people try to argue otherwise.

Choosing to not wear a helmet is usually an indication of something other than the rider's attitudes on safety and protection. It's often an expression of freedom, or rebelliousness or even a desire to not be uncomfortable. It can also be a result of the local rider zeitgeist or whatever—fitting in with everyone else. I confess that when I've been all geared up and have pulled up next to someone on a huge bike who's wearing a t-shirt and a beanie, I've felt a little goofy on my l'il scooter. At the same time, when I've been out in a t-shirt (but always a helmet!) and have pulled up next to someone in full, proper gear, I feel a bit ashamed and understand why so many people don't take scooterists seriously.

As always, make your own decision, but be sure you're being honest with yourself and that you're willing to take responsibility for whatever consequences may arise.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

scullyfu wrote:hey, buddyraton. just wanted to tell you how much i love your sig line. the talking heads (david byrne) are one of my all-time favorite groups. i had the distinct pleasure of seeing them at the roxy in l.a. on their first tour. david byrne so wrapped up in 'psycho killer' that i was scared. (not really) LOL

Sounds like were all dissapointed that Tina is married! I only saw them once at CBGB in 197?. And two of my favorite movies are Stop Making Sense and True Stories!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

tell me about it.. scooteristas here (Honolulu) wear flip-flops, beach shorts, no shirt, right hand on the gas, left hand clutching a surfboard Can you picture that? sooo weird when you're standing by the left side of the road - and one of those come along all you see is a long board floating along with the traffic hahaha.
I just returned from a trip to the Big Island and saw basically the same thing in Kona. It was weird!!
Keys

Post by Keys »

ysofisonly50? wrote:tell me about it.. scooteristas here (Honolulu) wear flip-flops, beach shorts, no shirt, right hand on the gas, left hand clutching a surfboard
...how the heck do they talk on the cell phone that way???

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

Keys wrote:
ysofisonly50? wrote:tell me about it.. scooteristas here (Honolulu) wear flip-flops, beach shorts, no shirt, right hand on the gas, left hand clutching a surfboard
...how the heck do they talk on the cell phone that way???

--Keys
headset. :P

btw, love the kilt. :) and throwing the caber? impressive, my fellow scotsman.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
sunshinen

Re: no one wears riding gear here

Post by sunshinen »

robonz23 wrote: then finally the sportbike guys probably do the best job of gearing up around here, it's like it's part of the culture to have the matching leathers and boots and helmet. but it is surprising that the seemingly riskiest bikes/riders are the ones geared up the most
Yeah, it is definitely a culture thing. Sportbikers have a name for the guy splitting lanes on the highway in shorts and flip flops, with his helmet strapped to the bike: SQUID. I've heard a sportbiker complain about taking a short ride through the neighborhood without all the gear and being slammed on their forum the next day by someone who spotted him. He complained about the heat, but I never saw him ride without his jacket after that. =)

Culture is far more effective than law. If being geared up is perceived as the expected thing to do, rather than the dorky thing to do, it makes a big difference on how many people gear up.

So, what do we call a scooterist riding stupid with no gear?
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

sunshinen wrote:Culture is far more effective than law. If being geared up is perceived as the expected thing to do, rather than the dorky thing to do, it makes a big difference on how many people gear up.
that's what's funny to me that people think they'll look stupid, "yeah I suffered a spinal injury but I looked so cool when I did it."
sunshinen wrote:So, what do we call a scooterist riding stupid with no gear?
a donor?

www.cannonballbuddy.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

robonz23 wrote:
sunshinen wrote:Culture is far more effective than law. If being geared up is perceived as the expected thing to do, rather than the dorky thing to do, it makes a big difference on how many people gear up.
that's what's funny to me that people think they'll look stupid, "yeah I suffered a spinal injury but I looked so cool when I did it."
sunshinen wrote:So, what do we call a scooterist riding stupid with no gear?
a donor?
Scootersquid?

I use the term Squid all the time for obnoxious sportbikers. But I'm also fond of "douchebag" and several others that don't belong on a family forum. Ha.
Pita1963

Helmet Preferances?

Post by Pita1963 »

If you wear a helmet , which kind do you wear? As a newbie, the owner of my scooter dealership suggested that I get a 3/4 helmet with a face shield for riding on highways, and a 1/2 helemt for inner city riding. Does this sound right?

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

Keys wrote:...how the heck do they talk on the cell phone that way???
didn't you know? the girlfriend in her itty bitty bikini sitting on the scoot floor is holding the cell phone to his ear !! :lol:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Pita1963 wrote:If you wear a helmet , which kind do you wear?
I use a 3/4 helmet with full face shield always. It's perfect for me. I'm a total claustrophobe in a full-face & I don't feel safe in a half (plus I think they're goofy-lookin). The shield saved the left side of my face when I fell a little while back, always good to have that... I like the wind in my face & all, but I wear glasses & it's hard to find decent looking goggles that will fit over them. Plus I'm paranoid about bugs, pebbles, acorns, etc. hitting me in the face. :?
MonsterGirl

Post by MonsterGirl »

After my slow-speed get-off the other day, where the side of my helmet hit the ground, a full face helmet will always be my choice. I tried a little "skull cap" helmet as the previous owner of my scooter gave it to me one time, but I really didn't like the wind and bugs in my face. It's nice to not breathe in the dust and stuff, IMO.

They also make modular helmets where the bottom half flips up like a 3/4 helmet. They're not a structurally sound as a full-face helmet, but get you the best of both worlds I guess if you think a 3/4 would be more your style but occassionally will be on streets with more traffic and debris.

You don't have to spend much money on a helmet for it to do its job. DOT-compliant helmets are just as effective as the higher standards. The lower priced ones are usually a bit heavier, might lack some of the ventilation and might be a little noisier.

Congrats on the new scoot!
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

MonsterGirl wrote:You don't have to spend much money on a helmet for it to do its job. DOT-compliant helmets are just as effective as the higher standards. The lower priced ones are usually a bit heavier, might lack some of the ventilation and might be a little noisier
Thanks for the info MonsterGirl -Price isn't too big an issue, they are comping me any helmet in the store, so I was thinking a 2- for-the-price-of-one kinda thing...

Robb

ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Helmet Preferances?

Post by ericalm »

Pita1963 wrote:If you wear a helmet , which kind do you wear? As a newbie, the owner of my scooter dealership suggested that I get a 3/4 helmet with a face shield for riding on highways, and a 1/2 helemt for inner city riding. Does this sound right?
Uh... right? Really, no one else can decide for you what's right, but the basic fact is that the more helmet you wear, the better protected you are. If you plan on doing any highway riding, imagine hitting your chin at 65mph. If that seems unsettling to you, I say go up to a full face or modular.

I started with a half helmet with a short visor until I went down at 25mph and came within inches of needing dental work (the visor, side and top of the helmet were pretty smashed up). I then went up to a 3/4 with a full shield (the Nolan N-42, which I highly recommend) while looking for a modular that fit my large noggin. A year or so later, I found the Vega Summit II—the only modular in the world (maybe) that fits me (in size XXL).

I may still wear my 3/4 for short rides around the hood, especially in the summer, but for several months I've worn nothing but the Vega and have to say I get some comfort from the extra protection.

If you're in Denver, you'll appreciate the extra wind, cold and weather protection you get from a full face or modular helmet.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Pita1963,
I am +1 on what Ericalm said.

Get whatever you want, but keep in mind you buy the gear to be ready for when you fall (which hopefully will never happen).

The helmet style defines the area of coverage: 1/2 covers the top of the noggin, 3/4 protects the top, back and sides and Full or Modular protect the top, back, sides and chin area. There was a chart somewhere that showed you the areas that statistically get hit when a rider falls. I think the chin area was about 1/3 of the time. Sorry, I can't remember the link.

Your noggin, your choice. I wear a modular, but to other people my recommendation would be to buy whatever you will wear all the time. If you don't like the full face, you buy one because you feel pressured and don't wear it, really, what is the point.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I wear a full face. Like everyone said, it's all about what level of protection/risk you want to take. There's no right answer.

The helmet I have is a KBC VR1 (mine is just black, not any crazy design though) and I love it. It's a pretty low-priced full face helmet with good ratings. It's decently quiet (though I don't have anything to compare it to) and fits my huge egg noggin well.

If not for the safety, the amount of bugs I clean off of the shield make me happy to wear it! :lol:

Also- I'm not at all trying to be a safety nazi in this thread (earlier posts). I don't really care what others wear, but some of the things I see down here do make me shake my head (leaving a helmet hooked on your bike while you ride), and I think that saying that is different from being a safety nazi.
Pita1963

Which Helmet ?

Post by Pita1963 »

Thanks for all the food-for-thought everyone, I will have to go down to the dealer and try on a bunch of different helmets i guess. I can't see myself not wearing one, seeing as I have trouble with the soccermom/dad suv crowd now driving my VW Bug....

Robb

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I saw this dude on some crazy crotchrocket yesterday going about 70mph past me... ALL HE HAD ON WAS SHORTS! no helmet, no shirt, nothin. I couldn't even think how dumb it was, I just kept looking out to see if he was gonna die or not. He kept looking back at me for some reason & honked @ me at the red light. He prolly thought I was checkin' him out or sumpthin, like I thought he was cool... the joke's on him! :shock: 8)