the new Vespa S

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

polianarchy wrote:Meh...I don't care for big. I'm so very small, you see. If I were to wish for a scooter, any scooter, it would be an old Vespa Primavera 125ET3...that's running. *le sigh* Barring that, 2008 Stella, plzkthnx. I don't want the Vespa S anymore. It doesn't compare to the Stella, IMHO.
Interesting. You don't care for "big" but you still prefer the much bulkier Stella over the petite S. I know there are many other reasons for choosing a shifter over a CVT, so don't get defensive. I just find it interesting and curious. FWIW, I love the old Primaveras as well. One of the ladies who works at my moto dealership has one and it's quite stunning.

When I had my bike in for service I checked out the new Stellas pretty carefully. My conclusion? If I ever buy a scoot that big, I want it to be more powerful. A 300 GTS might just fit the bill, although I prefer the size of the S.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

gt1000 wrote:Interesting. You don't care for "big" but you still prefer the much bulkier Stella over the petite S.
I haven't seen the S in person yet, but it's an LX frame, and an LX is bigger than a stella!

Edit: well, maybe not, but they're comparable:

LX
Dry Weight: 225 lbs
Length/Width/Wheelbase 1,755 mm/740 mm/1,280 mm
Seat height: 775 mm

Stella
Dry Weight: 240 lbs.
Length/Width/Wheelbase: 1760 mm./ 695 mm/1235 mm.
Seat Height: 820 mm.

So the Stella is narrower and shorter than the LX, they're about the same length and weight, and the LX has a lower seat. Still, in person, the Stella seems "smaller" to me. It's dimensions are similar, but it looks substantially shorter and smaller.

And, for what it's worth, a primavera (or even a 60s Vespa) is much smaller than a P/Stella, and a GT/GTS is loads bigger than a LX.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Ya, what illnoise said! :lol:

The Vespa S was a lot bigger in person than I thought it would be, judging from the pictures. It's still a very attractive scooter, but given a choice between THOSE TWO, I pick Stella.
ModBud #442
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I haven't seen the S in person yet, but it's an LX frame, and an LX is bigger than a stella!

Edit: well, maybe not, but they're comparable:
Interesting. As I was responding I was wondering to myself what the actual dimensions were. For me, it's all perception I guess.

My frame of reference is actually my Buddy. I live on this scooter and ride pretty much every day. I've spent a total of about 30 seconds on an S and about 5 minutes on a Stella and the Stella felt bigger, heavier and (especially) wider than by Buddy and the S. But my brain was probably just comparing to the Bud.

As for the Primavera, yeah, they're tiny. A few weeks ago I rode the Buddy to my Ducati shop and the Primavera was parked outside. I parked my Bud next to it and it really is amazing how tiny the Primavera is compared to the Buddy. Svelte, elegant and not at all unsexy. The Primavera may be the Audrey Hepburn of scooters.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

but I never learned how to shift, so it wasn't really an option for me Sad . Plus this is NOT a scooter friendly area at all as far as speed goes. I guess
don't give up on shifting, Krusty... I've driven automatic cars my whole life, when I first saw my gf's stella... I was quite happy to ride along on my Buddy without worrying about shifting for nearly a year. It scared to crap out of me, not understanding how it was done. I took the MSF class on a Yamaha Vino, so I didn't even learn motorcycle shifting.

Remembering the method of teaching at MSF, I started quite slowly. Literally, starting in 1st getting to 5 mph, stopping, starting in 1st, etc. Just to get the feel for letting the clutch/throttle timing thing. Then it was many trips around the block... eventually the 'mystery' of shifting began to unfold as I got more confident about how everything worked.

if you have an opportunity to take the MSF, do that...it's a safe way to learn shifting on a motorcycle. While the stella shifts with the hand and no toe clutch, the concepts and timing will get into your head. Which will make learning on your next scooter (stella!) a breeze...

And really, I'm VERY glad I got 4K miles on Buddy before getting on Stella. All of the actual riding skills were already well set in my brain. This made shifting much easier, when I didn't actually have to THINK about leaning the correct way into a right hand turn.

I offered to learn Stella so she wouldn't get engine gunk (amy had a broken thumb). I never expected to totally fall in love with her...let alone get a new one all for myself!!

just sayin...never give up on a dream.

happy riding!!
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

regarding Stella's size... it is a big heavy hunk compared to our Buddy. As a woman with MS (not the strongest gal around anymore), and who is 5'0", I'm pretty comfortable with Stella.

The major issue for me was feeling confident when is going slowly or stopped completely. I needed more stability than getting a stretched out toe on the ground! This is why I have my seats shaved down so I can get a full flat footed stance when stopped. The confidence that this one mod inspires really is quite amazing. I don't roll off the stand while sitting on the bike or anything that requires longer legs. But other than that, i think with some ingenuity, practice and testing changes to make your ride work for you, a lot is possible.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: the new Vespa S

Post by jrsjr »

illnoise wrote:It looks awesome in photos, but I'm allergic to plastic chrome.
I must be last person to actually see one (two, actually - red and black) in person, but I finally did today.
I gotta tell you, all those acres and acres of chromified plastic just end up making it look cheesy.
The plastichrome "cupholders" around the instruments look craptastic in the extreme.
For the money Piaggio is charging for the "S," those parts should be triple chrome-plated metal.

The vertical plastichrome arrow on the front legshield points down,
and that's the same direction my thumb was pointing.
Buddy_wannabe

Re: the new Vespa S

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

jrsjr wrote:
illnoise wrote:It looks awesome in photos, but I'm allergic to plastic chrome.
............ The plastichrome "cupholders" around the instruments look craptastic in the extreme.
For the money Piaggio is charging for the "S," those parts should be triple chrome-plated metal.
The heck with chrome ..... polished stainless :D ...... nothing will hurt that
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

maryvu wrote:regarding Stella's size... it is a big heavy hunk compared to our Buddy. As a woman with MS (not the strongest gal around anymore), and who is 5'0", I'm pretty comfortable with Stella.

The major issue for me was feeling confident when is going slowly or stopped completely. I needed more stability than getting a stretched out toe on the ground! This is why I have my seats shaved down so I can get a full flat footed stance when stopped. The confidence that this one mod inspires really is quite amazing. I don't roll off the stand while sitting on the bike or anything that requires longer legs. But other than that, i think with some ingenuity, practice and testing changes to make your ride work for you, a lot is possible.
At 240 lbs. the stella isn't all that much heavier than the Buddy. It's kind of like that 6 lb. (or so) difference between a Buddy and the LX—it's not much, but it's all in how the weight's carried, and they certainly feel much different.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I honestly couldn't believe how light the Stella was. Two of us had to lift one (when they first suggested lifting it you really had to see the look on my face) but it was way lighter than I thought.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

wow, can i just say you guys, that the vespa s is one fantastic looking machine. i was doing my best to not pay it any mind since its over my budget, but i was at the vespa dealer this weekend to inquire about that reduced Fly, and there it was. i did my best to not make eye contact with its adorable square headlamp, but i faltered you guys, and it got me. ::swoon:: bellisima!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mmmm... Square headlight!

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…