Unexpected scooting benefit... er... side effect

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Quo Vadimus

Unexpected scooting benefit... er... side effect

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I've only had my Buddy for two days(!!!!!!!) and I already feel way more connected to the weather than I ever have before. For instance, I have determined that a forecast of 3-8" of snow for March 21 is unacceptable and certainly cannot be true.

Anyone here notice themselves becoming a pronounced meteorology buff as they became a scooterist?
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I hear you. I watch the weather like crazy now. I just can't believe it is still snowing !
Was hoping to pick up the scoot tomorrow, but obviously that is not going to happen.

Now, not even my kids like the snow since they got a taste of running on the yard/street the couple of days we were at 40 degrees.

Oh well, one more week of this and it should be history. :evil:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
lindsey

Post by lindsey »

i almost died when i looked outside and saw a fresh blanket of snow on the ground. SO PISSED. my buddy has been out of storage for two weeks. i've ridden for five of those days, totally bundled.

feel like i'm going to punch someone in the face.

kidding, but... argh.

us chicagoans get very restless by the end of march.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

lindsey wrote:us chicagoans get very restless by the end of march.
at least it's predictable, it'll snow for another week, then rain 9 days out of ten until May, then snow again one more time just to p*** us off, then it'll be nice for two days, then it'll be in the upper 90s until October.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
maribell

Post by maribell »

i have learned that weather' channel is almost always wrong when it comes to rain. if it says "storms will clear up by mid day" you should not believe them. thanks to this i got SOAKED on my way home from school Tuesday. i don't like to be out in the rain with a backpack full of electronics and pricey textbooks.

despite that i can ride almost year round here, it is only a matter of weeks until them temp climbs into the 90's and stays there until november. i have been in a continual state of sunburn for the last two weeks.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have always been a bit of a weather nerd, but the Scooter throws that into overdrive. Every day, a few times a day, I look at the 10 day forcast, waiting, hoping. I think the MSN.com weather is more optomistic than the weather channels on line site, and possibly more accurate, so I like it better. When I am timing commuting or other riding minute to minute, I like looking at the radar. Most local tv stations web sites have one. In the summer I have out run many a storm, and also known when to stay put and let it pass.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

You start watching the radar, planning your days around perceived pockets of clear skies that MIGHT cross over your area.

You start to think "70% chance rain? does that mean I can only ride through 30% of the city, or for only 30% of the day?

The radar really is helpful though, it's way more useful than the forecast, because you can very accurately predict the conditions exactly where you are at a given time, rather than having to guess what "40% chance of rain in the greater metropolitan area today" is (when? where? for how long?). It might be thunderstorming on the south side, but totally clear on the north side, and you'll be out riding, seeing the edge of the storm, just as it looked on TV.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

i hear ya all on this one i went for a short ride yesterday and today were under a winter storm watch its snowing right now :x
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I've determined that I really need a windsock.
ModBud #442
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I've had my own weather station for a number of years because I've always been interested in the weather and out here in the southern California mountains it can be quite differant from other nearby locations.

My station downloads its data to a website every 1-2 seconds. If you are interested in checking private stations in your area go to www.wunderground.com and enter your zip code.

If you are interested in my station's data enter 91367 and look for the Gonzales Drive site. Right now at 12:40 pdt it's 78 degrees, 13% humidity with a light WNW wind.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

maribell wrote:i have learned that weather' channel is almost always wrong when it comes to rain.

A HUGE +1 on that!
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

Being Minnesotan I think you are born with a weather obsession...but it only gets worse with the addition of scooters.
Yesterday would have been a nice riding day, but they predicted snow, so no scoot. Turns out, it didn't snow until much later, making today a sloppy mess! Can't wait for the real spring to get here.
armacham

Post by armacham »

I live in AZ, so there are only about 10 days a year where it even rains. 8)
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Tazio wrote:I've had my own weather station for a number of years because I've always been interested in the weather and out here in the southern California mountains it can be quite differant from other nearby locations.

My station downloads its data to a website every 1-2 seconds. If you are interested in checking private stations in your area go to www.wunderground.com and enter your zip code.

If you are interested in my station's data enter 91367 and look for the Gonzales Drive site. Right now at 12:40 pdt it's 78 degrees, 13% humidity with a light WNW wind.
That is a way cool site. Thanks for letting us know! :clap:

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Syd

Post by Syd »

What's this weather stuff everyone's talking about?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hell, I live in L.A. and I've become obsessive about checking the weather every morning. At the very least, I want to know how many layers I need to wear or if I can just toss my Corazzo over a t-shirt.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
twharton

Post by twharton »

I completely understand but I became truly obsessed with the weather when I took up windsurfing in 1983.

Do you get a text message when the wind is above 10 kts? Do you re-arrange your work schedule in the middle of the day depending on evolving weather conditions? Do you travel out of town with your scooter or a 10' hunk of foam and fiberglass and 13' foot mast and sail just in case?

One of the benefits of owning your own business to offset the many negatives.

As a suggestion during the inclement weather times you could be tuning your scooter in the garage. That suggestion may lead to the acquisition of more and varied scooters.
:)
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

If I dont see clouds, I will assume it will be sunnny, if I do see clouds, I assume it will also be sunny. If the weather person says there will be a 20% chance of rain, I will Still presume it to be sunny. In monsoon season, I go prepared, because sunny can be rainy in no time. If I go outside and it is snowing, I will assume that hell has frozen over, and that I sould accept that it is the end of the world. And such is Arizona Weather. 8)
corazzo chad

weather watcher

Post by corazzo chad »

Up here in Portland i live according to the morning news and NPR

we have a great local news site that has an updated doppler page with the radar on all the time
www.kptv.com

http://www.kptv.com/wxmap/9430876/detail.html

like yesterday, 38 in the morning and sunny, by the time i went to lunch on my scoot it was mid 50's and by the time i was heading out to go home rain and back to 45

today it said rain all day and so far the radar has been green as far as the coast with a solid on shore rain.

I rode anyway, I'm just sick of my work van, it smells of wet dog.

for those in the snow country keep your heads up, it may be spring on paper but its still old man winter down here to.

Chad
corazzo chad

snow

Post by corazzo chad »

its spring right

well

its snowing here in Portland Oregon today....no scooting

i wish i was in Sedona AZ. my aunt has a room avail.....

C
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

So a week later - another big dump of snow; I think winter just likes to remind us Michiganders that she can play whenever, however she wants.

I tried living down in NC for a year... nothing seemed right without the seasons. But that was before I knew about Scooter Season.
She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

I totally feel your pain, Quo.

I'm in Wisconsin. Madison-area, actually. We broke our all-time season snowfall record by over two feet! We tipped the 100 inches mark last Friday.

In the meantime, I'm ho-humming until the dealerships start getting some of these 2008 beauties in so's I can finally meet my future Buddy in person.

And lurking on MB to help me through :wink:
twharton

Post by twharton »

74 here, 65% humidity and cloudless. 8)
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

twharton wrote:74 here, 65% humidity and cloudless. 8)
Well, maybe I can get out before those temps, considering I should be used to it by now!

So long as its sunny and I can get by with a sweatshirt.

We'll see.